State Registration

BillBarton

2 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

So, you pay sales tax an engine overhaul, then they tax you again for the value of the engine every year.  Wow, I knew there were many forms of double taxation, but that’s a new one to me.  

That's kind of the nature of unsecured property tax.  Same with cars, boats, trailers, etc. 

-Robert

35 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

That's kind of the nature of unsecured property tax.  Same with cars, boats, trailers, etc. 

-Robert

I had never heard of a state asking about the condition of a boat or car though.   If you report you had to put in a new engine, then they bump up the value.   I had not heard about that before..  I guess it’s because I’ve never lived in one of those states before.    I thought they just went by blue book values and that’s it.  

4 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Airport managers are required to report aircraft on their field based there and any one transient on Jan 1st. If you are on vacation on New Years you'll get a tax bill from the visiting county and you just check the box that you already paid in another county.

-Robert

Robert,

I have a question:

How often Airport managers need to report aircraft at the field? Suppose I visit CA for New Year holidays and my plane is on transient tie down, would I get the bell even it's registered in WA?

I am asking as I had a chance of a contract work in CA high desert and wanted to use my plane of occasional flight home.

I wouldn't like to get a tax bill from CA for a plane; it be bad enough to pay state income tax (no such thing in WA).

Thank you.

For an official answer you would have to call them.   On the other hand don't ask questions you don't want the answer to.

However, I would suspect that if you are coming and going and your legal residence is elsewhere and the plane is registered elsewhere you probably could tell them to take a flying leap if they ever came by with their hand out.  That is they lack jurisdiction over you and your property.  Furthermore,  if you file IFR flight plans then you are in the system and the plane is proven to have left the state on a number of occasions even if not to your home state.

I had a similar thing happen where the local parish was wanting to collect sales taxes on planes at my airport.  Louisiana exempts casual person to person sales.  They never contacted me but they did contact other owners at the filed.  MY plane is registered in a different parish so they really have no claim for taxes even though my hangar resides in their parish (county) for the rest of the US.  Now they could start coming by for property tax on the hangar.:o

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Igor_U said:

Robert,

I have a question:

How often Airport managers need to report aircraft at the field? Suppose I visit CA for New Year holidays and my plane is on transient tie down, would I get the bell even it's registered n WA?

They're supposed to take a census on Jan 1st. Its kind of a shot in the dark since they're already additionally reporting aircraft based on the field.

However, I can tell you that 100% of the time I've been away from home on New Years I've gotten a tax query from that county.

This is the form you will receive. Just note that you are not in the county.

https://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/pdf/sample_boe577.pdf

-Robert

22 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

Do you have stats to back that claim about California?

22 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

Do you have stats to back that claim about California?

Yes,   I'm involved in the Moving and Storage Industry.   California has turned into an out bound state. 

http://www.aei.org/publication/americas-top-five-inbound-vs-top-five-outbound-states-how-do-they-compare-on-a-variety-of-economic-business-conditions-and-political-measures/

33 minutes ago, Little Dipper said:

Yes,   I'm involved in the Moving and Storage Industry.   California has turned into an out bound state. 

http://www.aei.org/publication/americas-top-five-inbound-vs-top-five-outbound-states-how-do-they-compare-on-a-variety-of-economic-business-conditions-and-political-measures/

That is also an opinion piece.  The data presented is based only on those who use that particular company's services and doesn't provide demographics.  They attempt to correlate moves to specific economic factors but that kind of correlation can be spurious particularly when looking at a self-selected population segment.

Did you notice that this was the first year California made the top 5 in their list going back to 2011?

https://www.northamerican.com/migration-map

51 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

Did you notice that this was the first year California made the top 5 in their list going back to 2011?

Yes,  I spent my entire career in the moving and storage industry.    In the past California had always been a massive inbound state.   That started to change several years ago and California is now an outbound state.    And it is the very same people the who who can afford to pay moving companies are the ones moving out.   Chicago also has turned into a out bound city.  

12 minutes ago, Little Dipper said:

Yes,  I spent my entire career in the moving and storage industry.    In the past California had always been a massive inbound state.   That started to change several years ago and California is now an outbound state.    And it is the very same people the who who can afford to pay moving companies are the ones moving out.   Chicago also has turned into a out bound city. 

The data does support that California has a net outbound migration.  That is a long way from supporting your claim that:

"...many wealthy people who pay the taxes are moving out of California in record numbers."

The data doesn't provide wealth demographics and it doesn't provide information on why people are moving.  That is pure speculation.

36 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Most everyone I know who hit it big in .com era live in Incline Village. The entire town seems to be ex-California millionaire :)

-Robert

Interesting,

I have a friend, ex-Mooney owner who is living there for almost 40 years. In his words, not many really live there; maybe 20% of the houses are occupied and rest are vacation properties. Casual walk through his neighborhood seemed to confirm this. It sure is a nice place, though.

Also, years ago, he moved his Rocket from Truckee to Carson City to avoid CA taxes.

Regards,

7 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

That is also an opinion piece.  The data presented is based only on those who use that particular company's services and doesn't provide demographics.  They attempt to correlate moves to specific economic factors but that kind of correlation can be spurious particularly when looking at a self-selected population segment.

Just one more "Opinion Piece" for you.       http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article195405279.html

One data point...

NJ... Sales tax on the plane, no other fees...

Lots of outbound moving from NJ, according to LD's map...

All my NJ people, start talking about taxes and moving, as their retirement age nears...  'taxes are too high'. Both property and income... compared to their expected post retirement income...

We sent one NJMPer to Florida (Bob).  We will be watching his experience closely before we commit to the move.... :)

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, Little Dipper said:

Just one more "Opinion Piece" for you.       http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article195405279.html

I'm not sure why you are pointing this one out to me as one of its key points is that millionaires don't leave areas because of taxes. 

The problem with opinion pieces in general is that they start with a position and then look for data to support it. This is the opposite of sound scientific research where the conclusions are drawn from all the available data. People writing opinion pieces are prone to cherry picking data to support their position. Another problem is that opinion pieces are not generally subject to the same level of fact checking as regular news items. 

In terms of the migration data itself a key missing piece is where Californians are migrating to. You can't just look at states with net out migration and others with net in migration and conclude that people are moving from one to the other. The people leaving California may be more or less evenly distributing themselves across the country while the people moving to places like Texas may be coming from equally distributed origins. There just isn't enough data to draw any significant conclusions. 

13 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

That is also an opinion piece.  The data presented is based only on those who use that particular company's services and doesn't provide demographics.

Forbes Best States for Business Rankings, Employment Growth (Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers), GDP Growth Rate,  Mercatus State Fiscal Rankings (George Mason University), etc.,  when did they get into the moving business?

9 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

Another problem is that opinion pieces are not generally subject to the same level of fact checking as regular news items. 

Now that is funny!!!!!  That might have been the case 20-30 years ago.  Today.....not (the fact checking part of "regular news").  They seem to be one and the same now.

Tom

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Now that is funny!!!!!  That might have been the case 20-30 years ago.  Today.....not (the fact checking part of "regular news").  They seem to be one and the same now.

Tom

Yep, nobody cnecks either.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2018 at 1:13 AM, BDPetersen said:

Usually Ohio would be after you to prove you don’t owe sales tax on your new plane. “Casual sales” between individuals not involving broker are exempt. Somehow with my current plane I didn’t get that letter. They just started charging the $60.

Oooh, I would be careful about that.  It is a matter of state, not federal law, of course, so OH might do it exactly as you say, but in most states I know of, that is not true.  Any sale results in a tax, if the state has a sales tax.  And as someone pointed out earlier, most states apply a “use” tax, so it is first use in the state that creates the taxable event, not whether a transfer occurred there.  Most states also have an exclusion if the tax was paid elsewhere so you only pay once.  I believe AOPA has some materials on their website about it.  I bought my plane in a state that had no sales tax, and then had the joyous experience of paying the use tax when I moved it to MN as its permanent home base.  Now I pay $100 per year and get a reg. card for it.  The state does have an active Aeronautical Division, but I sometimes wonder what it does.  They send out an aeronautical chart of the state, which duplicates the FAA chart, and they also send out a book which pretty much duplicates the AFD, and now I recycle both of them when they come.  They do actively promote the use of our outstate airports though, that is a good thing, we have alot of them, 138 at last count (public use).

Just completed registration on my push behind  Kawasaki powered lawn mower. Now must trailer unit in town for inspection sticker then over to agent for an insurance policy.

If that wasn't enough , wife now  upset because evidently I flushed the toilet too many times this month and our sewage bill is greatly elevated.

Seems to me the swamp is getting deeper and the deep state is everywhere.

Still waiting Donald ????