Garmin GMU 11

Joe Larussa

1 minute ago, Joe Larussa said:

Now are you getting a localizer and glideslope or am I misunderstanding what this does? Mine is wired to the 530.

The GMU 11 is just the magnetometer. If you hook up a GAD 29 and connect it to something that puts out the correct AIRINC data. You get an awesome HSI! 

I’m just finishing GMU-11 install for my G5 AI. In my C model I opted for a tail cone location. I ran into a snag in the magnetic interference test from the rotating beacon causing interference . I had a Grimes “coffee grinder” which I elected to replace with a Whelen led flasher. To my surprise, it caused a problem as well. It turns out the problem came from the unit being grounded to the adjacent airframe. Running a ground back to the battery resolved the issue.

Waiting for a warmer day to finish the compass calibration.

I have mine installed in the tail way up high where a previously installed electric magnetic compass sat.    It works well.  

I was flying an ILS yesterday (vloc on the gtn/G5) and the GS didn’t appear until about 3.5 miles from the runway, so there is something going on there than needs to be addressed, but all other things are great.   The gtn automatically turns the HSI course needle to the final approach course for the ILS.  

27 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I think the OP is asking if only one G5 is used with the GAD 29 that the display is able to show the LOC and GS info. I’m also curious for using the unit as a secondary for that purpose. 

Exactly. Do I need the GMU-11 or is the GAD-29 enough to get nav data like localizer and glideslope on the G5. I'm using a 530w.

4 hours ago, Joe Larussa said:

Exactly. Do I need the GMU-11 or is the GAD-29 enough to get nav data like localizer and glideslope on the G5. I'm using a 530w.

That's a good question. You will at least need the GAD29. I have a GAD29 I will sell you cheap. I replaced it with a GAD 29B for the autopilot interface. The GMU11 was only $150 or so, so the install will be the big expense and it isn't hard to install.

If you put it in the wing you can fish the wire through by taking off the belly panels and the threshold plate on the door so you can pull the interior panel back a bit to stick your arm down in there. If you put it in the tail you have to take half the interior out to fish the wire through.

4 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

That's a good question. You will at least need the GAD29. I have a GAD29 I will sell you cheap. I replaced it with a GAD 29B for the autopilot interface. The GMU11 was only $150 or so, so the install will be the big expense and it isn't hard to install.

If you put it in the wing you can fish the wire through by taking off the belly panels and the threshold plate on the door so you can pull the interior panel back a bit to stick your arm down in there. If you put it in the tail you have to take half the interior out to fish the wire through.

So is the gad 29 just installed under the panel?

Do you get the flight director and all the business?

I'm interested. PM me

If folks are installing the GMU-11 in the wing mind taking a picture of the mounting bracket?  I’ve seen a shelf in the tail picture but not a wing yet.  Also where in the wing (how far outboard / at what Station) did you mount it?

Thanks ! 

If you have electric speed brakes, you probably won’t have desired clearance from motors required if locating it the wing.

Shouldn't be a problem. Mooney has been always been installing the magnetometer in the wing. They install them on the left wing same area but opposite wing of where the AP aileron trim servo is installed. Speed brakes are further inboard where long range fuel tanks are or would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk