Andrew, What the Heck?

Marauder

2 hours ago, steingar said:

Yeah, the fees there will bleed you dry. That’s why no one flies GA there (though the ramp at Shoreham seemed to be teaming with light aircraft). And just think, that’s what our illustrious President wants for America.

I bought my first Mooney in 1992 and quickly joined AOPA because the first President George Bush was talking about user fees and privatization.

This demon has raised its ugly head every president since, regardless of party, and each time has drifted away.

But I agree, this time seems more likely than at any other time in the past 25 years.  But that might just be because we haven't had to worry about it for a while.

I can’t believe how those bums in Washington marginalize such a tiny niche group - G.A. owner/operators. I can’t believe they even consider the notion that such a tiny group can support the monster ATC system. Same argument with the stupid war against leaded fuel. Talk about misappropriated resources. I can think of 100’s of better things the anti-100LL fuel people can focus their efforts on that would have a much higher return on investment for environmental health. Ridiculous. Just dumb. Ive wrote my congressman a few times and he’s in total agreement with the above as he’s a pilot himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 1/15/2018 at 11:48 AM, Marauder said:

Just saw this video on flying in the United Kingdom. Never realized how complicated the airspace services are there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Flying is not practicle in the U.K. nor most of the EU unless you are very wealthy. Personally owned aircraft are reserved for the elite. America is not there yet. The fact that we still have a socioeconomically diverse pilot population here is heartening, but is due to our past and does not gaurantee our future.

Edited by Shadrach

25 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

They have different levels of ATC service that you can request, don’t know the details, looks like lowest level is equivalent to our flight following.

Indeed they do. However, I’ve had zero luck finding a simple fee schedule for European flight planning purposes. It would be interesting to plug in flights and see what the non operational costs are.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to cringe a bit when the young American boy announces that based on the fact he doesn't understand how ATC works in the UK, that the UK has it wrong...  (I mean sure, I like our system but it's their country he's flying in.)     And this just after his little friend uses the Range Extender in front of the camera.  Embarrassing.

Good golly.  I have become my dad... 

• Haha 2

On 1/16/2018 at 7:23 AM, tigers2007 said:

I can’t believe how those bums in Washington marginalize such a tiny niche group - G.A. owner/operators. I can’t believe they even consider the notion that such a tiny group can support the monster ATC system. Same argument with the stupid war against leaded fuel. Talk about misappropriated resources. I can think of 100’s of better things the anti-100LL fuel people can focus their efforts on that would have a much higher return on investment for environmental health. Ridiculous. Just dumb. Ive wrote my congressman a few times and he’s in total agreement with the above as he’s a pilot himself.

I'm sorry, but I'm all for getting rid of 100LL. The #1 benefit of going unleaded will be cheaper gas- on the order of $1/gal or more. Since its leaded, 100LL cannot go through pipelines. Swift's 94UL can.

And I dunno, it would be kinda nice to maybe punch out a kid one dad that doesn't have an extra arm or something. That, too.

There are a lot of precautions to worry about with auto gas. It would have been nice if the Mooney factories would have incorporated this in recent history. I’m surprised that no one has an auto gas STC for us? Here is a list of Petersen Aviation’s recommendations to prevent vapor lock:
-Incorporate NASA vents into the vent system help provide positive pressure.
-Install fuel pumps in the fuel tanks, or as close to the fuel tank as possible. The tanks should have the maximum pressure and flow rating allowable for the carburetor.
-Replace any 90° fittings with 45° fittings or tubing with very smooth gradual bends.
-Make fittings as tight as possible to prevent air from entering the line.
-Secure lines to prevent vibration and harmonics.
-Insulate fuel lines in the engine compartment to prevent heat from soaking through to the fuel.
-Avoid locating fuel lines in close proximity to hot spots in the engine compartment.

7 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I'm sorry, but I'm all for getting rid of 100LL. The #1 benefit of going unleaded will be cheaper gas- on the order of $1/gal or more. Since its leaded, 100LL cannot go through pipelines. Swift's 94UL can.

And I dunno, it would be kinda nice to maybe punch out a kid one dad that doesn't have an extra arm or something. That, too.

Who says it is going to be cheaper?  My reading says it actually might be more expensive.....if they can get it to work which again is another huge issue.

Not trying to be to critical here but it might have been a good idea to have gotten that CFI Briefing before he took off to fly to London. In many countries flight levels start above 4000 feet. So when he checked in for radar service he said he was at 7000 feet, you could tell the controller was bothered by that. When I fly to Cuba or Europe it is definitely a mind struggle to say flight levels below 18000 feet. It would be interesting to know the fees for each level of service. Canada has different levels but they do have an “all in” once a year fee. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 65MooneyPilot said:

Not trying to be to critical here but it might have been a good idea to have gotten that CFI Briefing before he took off to fly to London. In many countries flight levels start above 4000 feet. So when he checked in for radar service he said he was at 7000 feet, you could tell the controller was bothered by that. When I fly to Cuba or Europe it is definitely a mind struggle to say flight levels below 18000 feet. It would be interesting to know the fees for each level of service. Canada has different levels but they do have an “all in” once a year fee. 

I completely agree--- if you're going to fly in somebody else's county,  best do your homework beforehand.   Other countries have transition levels that vary based on the current barometric pressure, for instance.  I must admit that it was surprising to hear the CFI's explanation;  that's not at all how I thought it worked over there.  I figured there would be VFR and IFR service just like we have in the US, at different pricing levels but  it appears that's not completely accurate.     I would love to fly around the UK and have added it to my bucket list.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Furthermore they were ifr in cloud with no radar service   Not wise and illegal!  

Welcome "back"!  ;)

You mean to say that the UK has places where, being rated and equipped and on an IFR flight plan, that you can't fly in clouds? Isn't flying in clouds the whole point of the Instrument Rating and IFR flight plans?

These guys have a video series..part one is hopping over the Atlantic via Greenland / Iceland....IFR in uncontrolled airspace is quite common....my last one was north of Smithers to Whitehorse...not only out of radar but out of radio range for reporting.Yeah ,it's a little disconcerting to not talk to anybody for an hour and a half while in solid IMC but that's the way it is.These guys could have been briefed better...but they are doing flying that I suspect 90 %  of us here on MS can only dream about.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 10:58 AM, Hyett6420 said:

No not at all.  You can fly ifr where you want except a purple airway (Royal Flghts). But these numskulls were flying in cloud in uncontrolled airspace without a radar service, i know because i know that area.  Not a wise thing to do, a bit like Russian Roulette.  

So the pilot’s problem was that he did not request radar services, which would have been at no cost if he asked for it?  

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, thinwing said:

These guys have a video series..part one is hopping over the Atlantic via Greenland / Iceland....IFR in uncontrolled airspace is quite common....my last one was north of Smithers to Whitehorse...not only out of radar but out of radio range for reporting.Yeah ,it's a little disconcerting to not talk to anybody for an hour and a half while in solid IMC but that's the way it is.These guys could have been briefed better...but they are doing flying that I suspect 90 %  of us here on MS can only dream about.

...and one of them,  is the youngest person ever to fly solo around the world, so when he talks about the UK being more complicated than everywhere else, I'll take it at face value.