Ok who did this?

Tommy

Just now, Marauder said:

There was a “selfie” posted somewhere showing all 5 in the plane including one in the baggage compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If they had a Marauder girl up front CG wouldn't have been an issue!

• Like 2

Oddly no final NTSB report still - just the prelim one from 2.5 years ago. Is that unusual?  I vaguely recall a carb issue might have been the critical factor, despite the patently absurd appearance of overloading, with a 5th large person riding in the baggage area.

post-8069-0-07304900-1429623056.jpg

post-8069-0-18645200-1429623069.jpg

6 minutes ago, Oscar Avalle said:

I wonder how did they fit one crew and 4 passenger in a M20C... sounds like the question how do you put an elephant into a beagle...

Oscar

The pictures make it clear:  one in each seat, one in the baggage area. They look like any four would have put the plane beyond gross without fuel. Had to have been an interesting takeoff . . . Glad they lived [I think]. Was this the drunk pilot who landed short?

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

The pictures make it clear:  one in each seat, one in the baggage area. They look like any four would have put the plane beyond gross without fuel. Had to have been an interesting takeoff . . . Glad they lived [I think]. Was this the drunk pilot who landed short?

Sometimes stupid people have a special protection...

• Like 2

The news articles don't rule out one of the "passengers" being a CFI.  That could have made it "legal" for the student to fly with passengers.  Journalists usually don't realize the pilot many no be the PIC on board.

Nevertheless, not a smart move on somebody's part.  That looks like between 900-1000 lbs of people

7 minutes ago, PTK said:

The pilot is listed as Brent Pressley. I wonder if there’s any relation to Jerry Pressley...

https://www.ntsb.gov/about/employment/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20001205X00519&ntsbno=MIA99FA140&akey=1

The pilot (I use that word reluctantly) was Clint Payne.  Brent was the registered owner, operates Smoky Mountain Aeroplanes, and is indeed related to Jerry.

• Like 1

Ok so you and 4 of your friends want to go flying.  I can get an airplane.:)  Let’s go to the airport and someone does a preflight hopefully.  Now we start getting in rear left seat, rear right seat, pilot and front passenger position.  Hey what about me where’s my seat there are only 4 in there????  Oh just climb into the baggage compartment back there you’ll be ok.  In the baggage compartment are you kidding me??!!  :o No I’m the “pilot” and I’m serious do you want to go flying or not everybody else is waiting on you?:angry:  Reluctant passenger climbs into the back.  How long of a flight is this?  Oh only a three (1) hour tour.  Is Gilligan around he might like this?:D  Front right passenger gets out to latch the baggage door and climb back into his seat.  Engine start and away we go.

Hey ya’ll grab a beer and watch this!!!!  What can go wrong?:lol:

Well if truly the water in the carb caused the engine failure then he just may have gotten away with it.  Especially if he doesn’t make any turns greater than 15 degrees, try to climb too fast and keeps extra speed on landing.

At what point does someone even a non-pilot say.  Will this thing get off the ground with all of us in here?

I’m not endorsing this in any way.

But this does give me an idea how about an open cockpit Mooney??  I wonder if the FAA would let you go firmly into the experimental market like that?  Make it a hard top convertible.

Take a short body hang an IO-540 300HP out front, hard top convertible 2 seat conversion.  Yeah baby.:D

If one generously assumes an average wt of 200 lb for the 5 people, plus 30 gal of fuel, and nothing else on board, we are at 1180lb.  That's 180 lb over an also generously assumed useful load of 1000lb. A terrible idea, but probably manageable in flight?   My rough calculation puts the C.G. at 1-1.5" too far aft, but I've no clue how significant that size deviation from the  certified C.G. envelope is in terms of flight characteristics.  The irony may be that none of this egregious stuff caused the crash.  It would be nice to have the final report -  fuel contamination sounds most plausible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanM20C said:

It's a bit Ironic that the pilot was a loadmaster in the USAF.

Luckily everyone survived but one gentleman (I think the one behind the pilot) lost the use of his legs. Very sad.  

Cheers,

Dan

Kathryns report lists all injuries as minor. I have to imagine an injury that would leave you without the use of your legs has to be listed as something other than minor.

18 minutes ago, DXB said:

If one generously assumes an average wt of 200 lb for the 5 people, plus 30 gal of fuel, and nothing else on board, we are at 1180lb.  That's 180 lb over an also generously assumed useful load of 1000lb. A terrible idea, but probably manageable in flight?   My rough calculation puts the C.G. at 1-1.5" too far aft, but I've no clue how significant that size deviation from the  certified C.G. envelope is in terms of flight characteristics.  The irony may be that none of this egregious stuff caused the crash.  It would be nice to have the final report -  fuel contamination sounds most plausible.

Also remember most Mooney's have a weight limit in the baggage compartment.