Acclaim Type S market value.

2 hours ago, Joe Zuffoletto said:

This Acclaim driver only tops off fuel if traveling a long way, like Denver to Northern CA. I also keep the TKS tanks half-filled because I've never needed more than a gallon or two in the worst of the conditions that I've encountered.

Other than that I rarely fill to more than 50 or 60 gallons. 60 gallons gets me comfortably from Petaluma to any other location on the West Coast, with plenty of reserves.

Believe it or not, an Acclaim really can fly with less than full fuel and TKS!

You beat me to it!  50-60 gallons offers a lot of range.  I've never been a fan of "Useful Load with Full Fuel " as a meaningful performance metric except when assessing long-distance ferry flights.

I have found that with more than two adults and bags, landing fuel must be considered carefully especially with this particular configuration.

M20TN MTOW=3368

M20TN MLW = 3200

10 minutes ago, Littlefrogfeet said:

The useful load was based on empty TKS per the salesman.

TIS is already installed

Regarding fuel capacity, I personally like to be able to fill up the fuel tanks at a less expensive location and be able to fly multiple legs until I arrive at another affordable fuel location.

Where do you put the 100 gallons in the J?

I would not want both AC and TKS because of maintenance, UL, and the speed penalty. Pick the one your mission requires. 

Edited by Godfather

1 minute ago, Littlefrogfeet said:

The useful load was based on empty TKS per the salesman.

TIS is already installed

Regarding fuel capacity, I personally like to be able to fill up the fuel tanks at a less expensive location and be able to fly multiple legs until I arrive at another affordable fuel location.

TIS old technology that is being phased out.  It's on all G1000's w/o active traffic, I believe.

Empty weight *is* with empty TKS reservoir.  

Littlefrog, if you have any questions feel free to PM me or call me at 334-663-3151...I'm a board member of the Mooney Summit and also the rep for new Mooney sales in the Southeastern US and have a lot of experience with the long body Mooneys (Ovations and Acclaims)...I'm happy to talk airplanes and Mooneys any time so just call or text whenever you'd like. If you're seriously looking for an upgrade from the J, mission depending obviously, either the Ovation or Acclaim would be a huge step up in performance. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, exM20K said:

You beat me to it!  50-60 gallons offers a lot of range.  I've never been a fan of "Useful Load with Full Fuel " as a meaningful performance metric except when assessing long-distance ferry flights.

I have found that with more than two adults and bags, landing fuel must be considered carefully especially with this particular configuration.

Agree completely- 50-60 gallons is a lot of range.  The comparison is really available cabin load for a given range.  From what I've seen, a comparably equipped Columbia 400 (non FIKI) has roughly 100 lbs of useful load more than the M20TN and doesn't have the lower max landing weight limitation.  Plus you get two doors, a better A/C system and pricing is comparable.  On paper the Acclaim is probably faster, but in the real world they're probably close enough that fuel consumption per mile and block times are close enough that zero fuel useful load is a good enough comparison between the two makes.  That is an assumption, and it's a big one, so if I have that wrong then I'll own it.

I like the Mooney, but I do see the useful load weakness.  For many of us the relative disadvantage doesn't matter, but let's not pretend the weakness doesn't exist.  It's really pretty crazy- we pretend to take an analytical approach to choosing an airplane for a given mission... then we pick the plane that stirs our loins anyway.  The M20TN is dead sexy.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2018 at 10:22 AM, Bug Smasher said:

Awesome airplane & my dream machine. I'm curious what the useful load is with FIKI and AC. 

I would have the same question/concern about useful load.  But what an amazing combination of comfort and utility in one aircraft.  

There are four weighty options for the Long Body...

1) AC

2) Fiki system

3) Built In O2

4) Charley weights

If you don't have the first three option, you might have the fourth one instead...  :)

Are we talking price before we have identified the mission?

Quick question, because I’d really like to know...

How do you get four people to fly in the flight levels for 5+ hours routinely enough to make buying an Acclaim worthwhile?

Oxygen, IMC,  and bumpy days are Tough on some passengers... not everyone wants to re-use the the Gatorade bottle...

Is keeping the J really an option?

Go Eagle for the most UL in a Long Body...

Go Longbody because you can... and stop half way, The day you are carrying four people...

The Acclaim is the most talented Mooney ever built, but it still doesn't land or walk on water.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

I live in Texas and still don't see the benefit of air conditioning in an turbo. I'd much rather have the UL than the AC. The Acclaim will climb quicker than any other piston single all the way to the flight levels where the AC is always ON and cold. You don't like O2, then get the Ovation and the AC. 

If I had the appropriately sized slush fund, I'd fly a FIKI Acclaim.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I live in Texas and still don't see the benefit of air conditioning in an turbo. I'd much rather have the UL than the AC. The Acclaim will climb quicker than any other piston single all the way to the flight levels where the AC is always ON and cold. You don't like O2, then get the Ovation and the AC. 

If I had the appropriately sized slush fund, I'd fly a FIKI Acclaim.

If I lived in Texas I would want AC.  Have you ever been to an airport where you are held for 20 minutes waiting for a release?  I just melt and suffer physically when it is like 95F and humid.  If I determined that the Mooney would not have useful load to allow me AC - I would get a clunky piper, or whatever, cuz I ain't sittin' on the 110F tarmac for 20 minutes with no AC!

This is why I live in the great white north.  And therefore...TKS.

:-)

• Like 1

Snow shovels, black ice and parkas are why I live in the sunny South! I've only had one 10-minute hold for a landing airliner in 100° heat, on vacation from WV to KSAV; how many times have you shoveled your driveway this winter?

This is why I live here:

20180117_064425.thumb.jpg.bde24345f3b898663a364cb5617d7b22.jpg

Oops! That's today. This:

20171209_080939.thumb.jpg.fac55d441e24833eee6bf8d93880cb0c.jpg

No, that was just before Christmas. This?

20171001_183246.thumb.jpg.2be4c4413fddd356412e99a104ce7ef7.jpg

Yes, that's a beautiful fall afternoon in early October. Because of the current yuck outside, all schools are closed (yes, all colleges too) and I'm off from work. When it hit at Christmas, we had already shut down for the holidays. 

Ahhhhh, life is great in the South!!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

If I lived in Texas I would want AC.  Have you ever been to an airport where you are held for 20 minutes waiting for a release?  I just melt and suffer physically when it is like 95F and humid.  If I determined that the Mooney would not have useful load to allow me AC - I would get a clunky piper, or whatever, cuz I ain't sittin' on the 110F tarmac for 20 minutes with no AC!

No, I've never experienced that. It's pretty unusual to get IFR conditions where I am here in Texas with heat/humidity at the same time. Also, I fly out of an uncontrolled field so regularly launch and pick it up in the air if IFR.

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

No, I've never experienced that. It's pretty unusual to get IFR conditions where I am here in Texas with heat/humidity at the same time. Also, I fly out of an uncontrolled field so regularly launch and pick it up in the air if IFR.

I have in Maryland - bleh!  Sometimes because of weather and sometimes because of air traffic conditions related to the permanent DC-SFRA-TFR.

To the point that I more often fly to Frederick outside of the SFRA if it is summer simply to avoid the situation of waiting for a clearance on a hot day at a holding spot on the tarmac.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hank said:

Snow shovels, black ice and parkas are why I live in the sunny South! I've only had one 10-minute hold for a landing airliner in 100° heat, on vacation from WV to KSAV; how many times have you shoveled your driveway this winter?

Yes, that's a beautiful fall afternoon in early October. Because of the current yuck outside, all schools are closed (yes, all colleges too) and I'm off from work. When it hit at Christmas, we had already shut down for the holidays. 

Ahhhhh, life is great in the South!!

Honestly I LOVE winter as much as I love the other 3 seasons.

Here is what winter fun looks like - pics from Gatineau QC (nearby) and also Highly flow (VERY nearby - about 10 mi - those two pics with my son were from yesterday after work).

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry for the thread drift, but I would rather see Marauders women bundled up in winter clothes left to the imagination then laying in a bikini out on the beach in all their glory....:) And I think any Acclaim would be awesome to have, I suggest you get it. If you have the money then make an offer you can go up from. With the economy on the rise we should only see prices rise with inflation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

It really has cooled down here also.  I enjoy the different seasons, notice the long sleeve shirt and long pants on the person on the beach, and the wind surfer has on a wet suit. 

sunset.jpg

Yeah.

Gosh, what an awful picture.

Who on earth would honestly want to wind down their day seeing THAT every evening.  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

Sorry for the thread drift, but I would rather see Marauders women bundled up in winter clothes left to the imagination then laying in a bikini out on the beach in all their glory....:) 

Please, for the love of God do not tempt him...

...and throwing a smiley face on the end won't help, it just provokes him even more.

• Like 2

Please, for the love of God do not tempt him...
...and throwing a smiley face on the end won't help, it just provokes him even more.

Lol, very true. But I figured it would show a “sizable” view of why winter up north isn’t so bad at times....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

And that, is why I just bought a Baron last week (useful load 1700+ lb and it has air conditioning).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jetdriven said:

If you need the useful load and can afford the 500$ per hour to run a Baron,  then go for it. An Acclaim can whip one in speed and operational cost, but certainly not useful load. 

Light twins... 3-5 times the cost to “build your hours quicker” (go slower), and haul an effective extra couple hundred pounds.

man- seeing these acclaims and their hull cost vs performance vs useful just reinforces the idea in my mind that the best long body value is a bravo right now.

• Like 2