What a TFR Intercept Looks Like

Jeff_S

Here's an interesting video I saw on the FighterSweep website, taken from a Today show segment. They staged an interception in a real TFR to show what happens. While the reporter is a bit sensationalist (aren't they all?) and he seems to be flying in a "Cezzna" that "barrels down the runway", the footage is pretty good training for what you should expect if you wander into a TFR.

• Like 1

On the "anti-Trump scale" this was only about a 2, or 3.  There was actually some truth mixed in.  :P

IMO...the whole subject of TFR's needs to be re-visited with a reality check.  As presently done, TFR's provide 99% inconvenience to pilots flying legitmate flights and virtually no protection from a real threat.

• Like 5

A large-cabin bizjet loaded with fuel and a suicidal pilot could blow through a TFR so fast, the intercept pilots would still be putting on their g-suits when it hit the target.  Thanks to the TFR system, target-central and prime-time are easy to figure out.

Protecting Trump can be very difficult.  Fixing the stupid TFR system is much tougher.  :blink:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I remember the Biden TFR and how ridiculous the parameters were (1 mile and 1500’). Why bother?

I also think it introduces some risk forcing planes into tight airspace. When the TFR goes up in NJ, unless you can get Philly or NY to work you, your stuck flying the fringes.

060ec6e4f9128e604f46431a38821cb5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

VIP TFRs are stupid. Let’s shut down the whole city and inconvenience everyone because some dude is in town?  Stay home and do a broadcast from the East Lawn. 

I think VIP travel has just gotten out of hand. The other day I was up in North Vegas trying to cross the freeway to get to a meeting and they had shut down the streets with onramps and overpasses to create a corridor for Pence. Took me an hour to find a way around. If they want secure travel they can take a helicopter instead of creating a traffic nightmare for thousands of normal people. 

I definitely heard a fighter pass over my house Saturday morning, although I haven't read about any intercepts that had taken place.

The whole subject is bewildering to me because local news outlets have reported that over a dozen TFR violations have taken place since January 1st. How in this day and age can a guy go up and not know there are restrictions in place? 

1 hour ago, SantosDumont said:

If they want secure travel they can take a helicopter instead of creating a traffic nightmare for thousands of normal people. 

A few months ago he visited Greenville to have dinner with a campaign doner and I literally could not leave work for over an hour because of it.  I work right next to our international airport and so they closed all the roads into and out of the plant.  All politics aside, that was BS!

• Like 1

Living in Philly, there have  been tons of big TFRs blocking the way through north NJ and NY over the last year.  As a VFR pilot, when I've wanted to get somewhere via that airspace, it's turned out to be minimal effort to punch in a vfr flight plan and pick up a code  to meet the requirements to transition on flight following. It was far less of a pain than I expected.

I will say that I've stopped making impromptu short hops to north Jersey fields when under the TFRs for cheap fuel or $100 burgers and instead taken my business elsewhere.  I'm curious how much of a hit those places (e.g. Sky Manor, Blairstown, Central Jersey Regional) have experienced.  

• Like 1

I certainly have no love for the current occupant at 1600 Pennsylvania.  But I don't think the VIP TFR's have anything to do with politics. These were put in place by the Secret Service, Homeland Security, and FAA. Politicians have to be able to travel. And it's not their fault that the security apparatus has over reacted to 9/11 and continues to over react.

TFR's and TSA - Security theatre, a waste of time and money.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This article hits the nail on the head... I know our GA associations are fighting the good fight but where are AOPA, GAMA, and EAA in their fight that relates to the airspace grab and TFRs... 

https://airfactsjournal.com/2017/11/death-taxes-airspace/

Anyone who thinks a TFR--other than the presidential TFR--makes anyone on the ground safer is not very imaginative... Also, I have my doubts about the effectiveness of the presidential TFR except over the White House / DC area. 

Edited by jonhop

17 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

A large-cabin bizjet loaded with fuel and a suicidal pilot could blow through a TFR so fast, the intercept pilots would still be putting on their g-suits when it hit the target.  Thanks to the TFR system, target-central and prime-time are easy to figure out.

Protecting Trump can be very difficult.  Fixing the stupid TFR system is much tougher.  :blink:

For what it’s worth, we wear our g-suits when on alert- which is 24-7.

• Like 1

For what it’s worth, we wear our g-suits when on alert- which is 24-7.
Good. Putting on the g-suit just in an emergency just seemed wrong to me when I watched that video. I immediately thought, "why aren't they they wearing it already, so they can get going faster." But then I wasn't sure about how fast/slow it goes on or how hanging around in it for hour might be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Heck, even a piston plane could do it. That would be especially true if the pilot talking with ATC and cleared for the outer ring.

The 9-11 terrorists had some flight training. Enough knowledge to ask to go to an airport in the outer ring and you'd be too close for anyone to react to the problem unless a fighter was already in the air and nearby.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, jonhop said:

except over the White House / DC area.

But why is the a TFR in the first place?  T of TFR is temporary.  There is nothing temporary about the TFR over DC.  Why is it not Restricted with provisions and charted as such on the sectional?

2 minutes ago, bob865 said:

But why is the a TFR in the first place?  T of TFR is temporary.  There is nothing temporary about the TFR over DC.  Why is it not Restricted with provisions and charted as such on the sectional?

I think DC has an ADIZ.

14 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

I think DC has an ADIZ.

Oops.  My mistake.  You are right.  I was thinking it was just a perpetual TFR, but it is setup as an ADIZ and charted.

Can you tell I never fly in that region of the world? :P