Looking for a good pre-buy inspection near Placerville CA

Pshap31

Welcome to the Space. LASAR and Top Gun would be great choices but I don't think they would come to you. Is the seller willing to take the plane away from its home field for the PPI. LASAR has a very comprehensive pre purchase check list on their web sight this can give you some good starting points for your own inspection.

good luck 

Many have found... if you are serious about buying that particular plane, and the purchase depends on a successful PPI.  Planes usually can be moved to a reputable MSC for the PPI to occur...

Being serious about that particular plane takes getting to know it yourself, or by somebody you trust to make that decision...

I sent a low hour Mooney to a big name MSC after a cursory visit and having all the logs and photos emailed to me.

After the PPI, a couple of maintenance items were completed.  The plane was ready to start transition training in....

The PPI was completed by a few more steps to turn it into a full annual.  Good to go for another year...

Moving a plane, you haven't seen yet, can be too expensive to have PPIs done so quickly...

How far along are you with this plane?

Best regards,

-a-

Great idea knocking out an annual with the PPI. The plane is at a company that resells planes. I have attached a link to it here and would appreciate positive and negative feedback. I am hoping to fly it in a couple of weeks and would be ready to put a refundable hold on it prior to the PPI and ready to move forward with the sale if the PPI comes back satisfactorily. I have a hangar lined up  and am working on insurance quotes. 

Edited by Pshap31
typo

3 minutes ago, Pshap31 said:

Great idea knocking out an annual with the PPI. The plane is at a company that resells planes. I have attached a link to it here and would appreciate positive and negative feedback. I am hoping to fly it in a couple of weeks and would be ready to put a refundable hold on it prior to the PPI and ready to move forward with the sale if the PPI comes back satisfactorily. I have a hangar lined up  and am working on insurance quotes. 

Maybe I missed it but are you in California?

Wow, lots of updates since it was first manufactured.  And really low hours for a 50year old plane...

A long list of things to test while you go flying...  Sounds like the owner has everything listed and should be operating...  lots of expensive radios and AP. You want to know everything is working.

I have sat right seat while the owner flew the plane for that kind of thing.

Build a list of what you want to test and how you can get that done in a simple flight.  Or have that as part of the PPI.

The flight from where it is to the MSC can be part of the PPI.  I had Don Maxwell move my O this way to test each piece of nav equipment and control down to the last light bulb.  It is a cost you get to bare as the potential owner.

You get to pay to prove the plane is what you expect it to be.  In the end, when everything works as planned, you fly Home as happy as possible.

There is no standard for PPIs.  They are what you make them.  From low cost to full annuals. Start with the big expensive stuff first.  No need to proceed, if something major gets found...

Not all PPIs end with a sale...

PP thoughts, only...

-a-

5 hours ago, Pshap31 said:

I am looking for a great mechanic that would be willing to do a good pre-buy inspection on a 1965 Mooney M20C in Placerville, CA. 

I’ve never figure out how to download this PPI check list but here’s the thread.  Search “PPI check list” I hope this helps.

Clarence

6C122224-80D2-4776-8E34-D7D61CA3EACD.png

Why dual 155’s and an SL40 comm?  The Apollo GX 55 is not approach capable.

Clock is sideways, S-Tec gyro is in turn when plane isn’t moving.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Why dual 155’s and an SL40 comm?  The Apollo GX 55 is not approach capable.

Clock is sideways, S-Tec gyro is in turn when plane isn’t moving.

Clarence

Yeah I actually took the photo when I had it coupled to autopilot. Avionics are a little old but serviceable. Was gonna get a Garmin 430 put in it.. More kind of wondering about the avionics for the price.

2 hours ago, Pshap31 said:

I know someone that went to look at that airplane this weekend. Haven't heard if he made an offer on it or not.

1 hour ago, KLRDMD said:

I know someone that went to look at that airplane this weekend. Haven't heard if he made an offer on it or not.

I read all of the thread on Skywagons. Thank you guys for steering me onto that thread. Mark struck me and my wife as being very much in the business of getting planes sold. (started right up front with telling us the plane was in high demand. We do really like the plane but I think she and I are both in agreement that it needs to go to Top Gun or Lasar for the pre buy or it will be a no-go. Again I thank you all so much for your input and advice. I've been flying military for almost 13 years but getting into this on my own dime is terrifying/exhilarating. I've literally learned so much in the process though I am feeling less and less anxious for when the right plane does come along.

Edited by Pshap31