Mooney and TBM History

L. Trotter

I don't know about the rest of you , but when I see a TBM I seem to feel an unseen force drawing me in for a closer look. Dare I say they are just down right sexy! Could I be "cheating" on my Mooney. Similar sleek lines, nice shape, fast looking on the ground-faster looking in the air. There was just something familiar about those TBM's. Now I know why.

In 1983 Mooney attempted to enter the single engine, pressurize cabin market to compete with the likes of Cessna, Beech and Piper. A single prototype was created (and flown) to FL 250 with a Max speed of 301 MPH. The prototype became know as the Mooney 301. Unfortunately, Mooney came under financial difficulties (again) before formal production could be started. The company was ultimately purchased  in 1985 by investors Alec Couvelaire and Armand Rivard - French based. The new owners felt the 301 was to heavy and slow to effectively compete with the up coming rivals. In 1987 a joint venture developed with Daher-Socata, another French company, to design a single engine turboprop utilizing the 301 as a starting point. By 1988 (a year latter) the joint venture produced the first prototype known as the TBM 700. "TB" for Tarbes (French city were Socata is based), "M" for Mooney of course. Plans were made to manufacture the TBM's both in Kerrville, TX (Mooney factory) and in France.  Type certification was obtained in 1990, but unfortunately, Mooney continued to experience financial issues and withdrew from the project just 8 months after the type certification was obtained in the US. You guessed it....The rest is history.

So now when I see one of those beautiful TBM's taxi by, I realize I am flying nothing less than the little brother. Don't worry, your not cheating. Your just feeling brotherly love.

Who would have known.......not a history expert, just a little extra time to read

Mooney301.jpeg.4d338450a4e6cc89e9623f4e83ba7b67.jpeg Mooney 301

.TBM.jpeg.7011425282b31fa45d4fe9268c427d0e.jpeg TBM 700

• Like 1

The hagiographic story of how the 4000 pound piston Mooney 301 prototype directly became the 7000 pound turboshaft TBM700 isn’t fully plausible. The Socata team started by redefining the plane’s mission.  Then they redesigned virtually every part anew using their own CAD tools and went on to create production fixtures well beyond anything Kerrville possessed.  

I was only peripherally involved—Bendix King provided the entire avionics suite for the TBM700A.

Speaking of missed opportunities— King seemed confident its Silver Crown line would remain dominant and that those upstarts across town in Olathe were never going to amount to much.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

360 foot stomping rip snorting horse power... Lycoming TIO540...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooney_301

or Another opportunity to learn applications of words of the English language....  :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagiography

Another really good Hagiographic story for engineers...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_LoPresti

The powers of MS are amazing!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I looked up the N number, it now on an Aviat A1.  What happened to the prototype?

Clarence

I heard there were 2, 1 was sent to France and the other was donated or destroyed during testing... Can't remember

Edited by RLCarter

3 hours ago, Candy man said:

Claimed 263 knots speed for the Mooney 301 seems suspect, too.   The similar sized Mirage is about 40 knots slower using the same rated power. A PT6A version Mirage will go that fast but it takes about 900 ft-lbs torque to do so, about 380 hp at the propeller.  

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

Just checked the specs on the 930, wow. Didn’t realize it was a 900lb full fuel UL 330 knot screamer.  That thing has some legs with a 60kt advantage over the pc12.  It would look mighty nice next to the C in the hanger. 

Meh... I’m holding out for the tbm950.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Just checked the specs on the 930, wow. Didn’t realize it was a 900lb full fuel UL 330 knot screamer.  That thing has some legs with a 60kt advantage over the pc12.  It would look mighty nice next to the C in the hanger. 

There's one that flies out of lower Wisconsin into Spruce Creek.  My wife and I were golf carting the park during our last trip down and he taxied up and blocked us from getting out (not a problem, taxiways are for airplanes first, then golf carts).  It was a really nice plane.  He got out with one passenger and I watched them move it in the hangar as I talked with his friends/neighbors.  When I got home I looked up his filed speed on Flight Aware and he has 15 knots on me, for just south of $4 Million (about 8-10 times what I will have in mine).  

Out of my league.

Tom

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

There's one that flies out of lower Wisconsin into Spruce Creek.  My wife and I were golf carting the park during our last trip down and he taxied up and blocked us from getting out (not a problem, taxiways are for airplanes first, then golf carts).  It was a really nice plane.  He got out with one passenger and I watched them move it in the hangar as I talked with his friends/neighbors.  When I got home I looked up his filed speed on Flight Aware and he has 15 knots on me, for just south of $4 Million (about 8-10 times what I will have in mine).  

Out of my league.

Tom

Yah but he’s looking at your plane and saying, how many hours did you say you put into that thing?!  :-)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 1/13/2018 at 2:42 PM, carusoam said:

360 foot stomping rip snorting horse power... Lycoming TIO540...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooney_301

or Another opportunity to learn applications of words of the English language....  :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagiography

Another really good Hagiographic story for engineers...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_LoPresti

The powers of MS are amazing!

Best regards,

-a-

Anthony, thanks for the links to the nice Hagiographic writings.   The only thing I can say is this:  F'n ladders and helicopters stole Roy LoPresti and Stevie Ray Vaughn from humanity. :angry:

• Like 1