peevee

I think I've reached the end of my rope.

Most of my adult life has been spent in and around aviation and airplanes with one goal, make enough money to have a plane to fly. I've made the wife sacrifice to make the budget work so I could have a toy and at the end of the day it just isn't worth it anymore. After 3 unreliable planes, and thousands of dollars lost or wasted or frittered away I just can't do it anymore. I just don't have the excitability in my schedule to be able to travel by GA I've realized. Here's the straw that broke the camel's back, 10 hours after we spent $9k to overhaul the turbos and reseal the prop, this happens. Anyone want to buy a slightly used CFI/I license? Wish I could get my money back.

#justturbothings

turbo.thumb.jpg.9b7cfa72c862d58c039facc3ac0ec88f.jpg

Anyway. Just whining. Later. Or goodbye I guess.

• Sad 1

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

With all due respect turbo’d airplanes are not great toys... maybe an inexpensive tail dragging LSA to bring the fun back? My NA Mooney has been a great reliable traveling machine, but it’s def closer to personal airliner than toy and sometimes I just wish I could take the doors off and fly low and slow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just now, Cruiser said:

how long did it take to get that way?

Less than a week.

2 minutes ago, gsengle said:

With all due respect turbo’d airplanes are not great toys... maybe an inexpensive tail dragging LSA to bring the fun back? My NA Mooney has been a great reliable traveling machine, but it’s def closer to personal airliner than toy and sometimes I just wish I could take the doors off and fly low and slow...

I live in colorado. I'll stick to the airlines. I have a plane to travel, I'm not a sunday flyer kind of guy and need a mission, a NA plane doesn't take me west over 17,000 foot MVA's very well. If I can't rely on my plane to travel I might as well go buy a nice car for a change and throw away money on that instead. Now at about 40 I've realized I can't beat a square peg into a round hole anymore, I guess.

I agree with gsengle. My RV-8 is very economical to fly (7gph in cruise) and the Lycoming O-360 is as stone simple and reliable as they come. In the immortal words of Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush, "Don't give up!"

• Like 1

Back to NA!! No one flying in the back country has turbos due to their reliability. Most stick with Carbed airplanes for good reason! 

We need to find somthing you can enjoy! 

Find a nice E model!! 

-Matt

• Like 1

If you just had the turbo overhauled  there should be some sort of warranty/liability on their part

That’s my point, stick to the airlines and go simple and just fly for fun. I keep thinking about building a bushcat...

4 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

If you just had the turbo overhauled  there should be some sort of warranty/liability on their part

There is, they'll overhaul them both again.

That's not my concern as much as the metal that just got flung into my 100 hour SMOH engine. And WHY did it happen.

Just now, gsengle said:

That’s my point, stick to the airlines and go simple and just fly for fun. I keep thinking about building a bushcat...

I've thought about a kitfox but I'd want the 914 for the turbo.

I guess to get down to it I just don't enjoy flying for the sake of flying, it's a means to get somewhere to me. And the wife hates it so I don't know why I haven't realized it sooner.

Luckily the plane gave me subtle hints something was wrong:

Went to get gas last night to prep for a flight to arizona this am

IMG_20180111_160706.thumb.jpg.6fb2b2a59b3b2ba958dbe1fed3a3b0a8.jpg

that's weird, better check this outIMG_20180111_160855.thumb.jpg.7b698359e2cba9a4f6425af5c1522cfb.jpgIMG_20180111_185300_01.thumb.jpg.71d09b23e8d177a66cdb6107a590c89a.jpg

Oh :(

I've thought about a kitfox but I'd want the 914 for the turbo.
I guess to get down to it I just don't enjoy flying for the sake of flying, it's a means to get somewhere to me. And the wife hates it so I don't know why I haven't realized it sooner.

I like flying to get somewhere too, but sometimes even that is more fun lower and slower. Makes shorter trips more of an adventure. Then again flying for an airline has shifted my flying priorities as well.

Wow, sorry to hear this and see the photo! Any idea what got into the induction system to cause that? At least that doesn't look like a bad bearing that allowed the blades to hit the sidewall of the housing, that looks like something impacted the blades head on from the induction system. Its hard to tell how much blade material was eroded off from the picture and thus how much metal went into the intake system and into the cylinders but hope there weren't any big pieces and cylinder inspections look good.

Are you saying b

6 minutes ago, peevee said:

There is, they'll overhaul them both again.

Are you saying this happened to both turbo's?!?! Hard to imagine how something could get past the air filter to damage both turbo's unless it was the air filter. 

Overall though I've found turbo flying very worth while. Although turbo's don't typically last till TBO its very rare they cause any downstream damage and sure haven't added significantly to my cost of ownership these last 15 years. I just couldn't imagine going back to an NA aircraft given their benefits. But I am not a member of the low and slow crowd either. My Mooney is for travelling!.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Wow, sorry to hear this and see the photo! Any idea what got into the induction system to cause that? At least that doesn't look like a bad bearing that allowed the blades to hit the sidewall of the housing, that looks like something impacted the blades head on from the induction system. Its hard to tell how much blade material was eroded off from the picture and thus how much metal went into the intake system and into the cylinders but hope there weren't any big pieces and cylinder inspections look good.

Are you saying b

Are you saying this happened to both turbo's?!?! Hard to imagine how something could get past the air filter to damage both turbo's unless it was the air filter. 

Overall though I've found turbo flying very worth while. Although turbo's don't typically last till TBO its very rare they cause any downstream damage and sure haven't added significantly to my cost of ownership these last 15 years. I just couldn't imagine going back to an NA aircraft given their benefits. But I am not a member of the low and slow crowd either. My Mooney is for travelling!.

The right turbo looks OK, just the left is trashed but Main will do both over again. I think the concern is particulate matter getting into the turbine wheel of the good snail.

There were big pieces.

this is post intercooler, before the last bend into the intake

IMG_20180112_094924_01.thumb.jpg.8412a85cab861b174e6b19b6587d8fdd.jpg

This is the outlet from the turbo. Parts hit hard enough to punch holes in the tube

IMG_20180112_094930_01.thumb.jpg.74c71162f045834fd67915e4ee55c1a6.jpg

These were found in the intake tract ahead of the intercooler

PART_1515774493894_image000000.thumb.jpg.c53d386b21a074de3547055174460c5a.jpg

Nothing got up against the wheel, the main bearing is trashed, IMO.

• Sad 1

Ouch.   Have you borescoped the cylinders on that side yet?   That metal is fairly soft, so fingers crossed for minimal damage.

So failure of the main bearing is what is assumed currently. That would also jive with the oil out the exhaust too. Wow, very unfortunate to see the size of those chunks and that they got past the intercooler :( 

If I had kept my Acclaim, I would have seriously considered doing something like the AEPC engine protection program.   The quote to get enrolled wasn’t all that bad.  I guess this will be under warranty, but if it weren’t - I wonder what the coverage under this program would handle and how easy it would be.

Has anyone looked into this?

brad

6 minutes ago, BradB said:

If I had kept my Acclaim, I would have seriously considered doing something like the AEPC engine protection program.   The quote to get enrolled wasn’t all that bad.  I guess this will be under warranty, but if it weren’t - I wonder what the coverage under this program would handle and how easy it would be.

Has anyone looked into this?

brad

the turbos will be, nothing else will. theyre not going to warranty the engine for metal in the cylinders, that's for sure.

48 minutes ago, peevee said:

I guess to get down to it I just don't enjoy flying for the sake of flying

I think this statement says it all. There's certainly nothing wrong with this sentiment and in fact a huge majority of the population would certainly be in agreement. I know that if I felt this way I would not own an airplane. 

For me on the other hand, flying seems to be like a virus that I just can't get rid of. I don't care if it takes longer, costs more, and is more of a hassle, I'd rather take the Mooney and be up front in the left seat any day and twice on Sundays.

I just got off United after 24 hours of travel from Mumbai home to Austin. We're leaving in a few hours for our place in Durango to spend the long weekend. I was originally going to fly the Mooney, but the family voted and decided not to ride with me. They don't trust me at the controls after just walking off the plane from India. I'm sure it's good advice and so we'll get back on United and get to Durango this evening... but I'm still a bit sore about not taking the Mooney!

If it wasn't for this seemingly terminal condition I've got, there's no way I'd own an airplane either.

• Like 9

From the first picture you sent it looks like the turbine shaft nut is missing.  The damage does not look like is was caused by interference with the housing, it looks like foreign object on the turbo inlet side, I am only speculating based on what I see, sorry for the damage and inconvenience.

Ron

Ouch.   Have you borescoped the cylinders on that side yet?   That metal is fairly soft, so fingers crossed for minimal damage.

Aluminum pistons are pretty soft too, might have a few dents but I don’t think affects engine airworthiness.

11 minutes ago, Marcopolo said:

From the first picture you sent it looks like the turbine shaft nut is missing.  The damage does not look like is was caused by interference with the housing, it looks like foreign object on the turbo inlet side, I am only speculating based on what I see, sorry for the damage and inconvenience.

Ron

it's there.

10 minutes ago, Marcopolo said:

Ron

It looks like the nut is there , those are always 12 point nuts , If I had to bet , it looks like FOD damage , as the housing is very much in tact , either way it really sucks....

PV, that's awful, the tough part is your bride hates flying that puts a tough spin on the situation. After everything thing cools down I really hope you decide the best for yourself.

Hang in there hopefully it'll get better for you.