Young Eagles

SantosDumont

On 1/11/2018 at 1:18 PM, Sabremech said:

The Young Eagles program is a good program, but is not going to increase the pilot ranks dramatically any time soon. We should run a Gray Eagles program and get the people who have the means to fly and buy airplanes involved. Plenty of money being spent on Harley’s. 

I'd disagree. I'm the youngest volunteer pilot in my chapter and just 7 years ago I was one of the googly-eyed kids riding in an RV-6. The last event I flew, I'd say maybe 10% of the kids were grinning ear to ear, and one kid yelling to his parents he wants to be a pilot. I gave three parents the contact info to my local CFI (who was in the pattern and later chatted with the parents).

It happens! Just gotta be positive. I don't want to be egotistical, but I think its very refreshing for kids to see someone like myself flying at such a young age. Gives them hope

• Like 2

I did my 25 + this year and passed 300 flights since I started doing YE Flights (they just sent me a nice jacket too).  I posted a story this last summer about an airport event I attended in Houghton MI.  My local EAA Chapter works with two adjacent chapters sharing resources (Snoopy simulator and pedal planes).  When I mentioned I was coming up, I asked them if they wanted me to bring my Mooney (so I could do YE Flights) or the Lancair, as an attraction.  They said bring them both!  So my hangar partner, Steve, flew the Mooney up and I flew up in the Lancair.  Well, after he and I alternated flying YE's all day in the Mooney and were pretty tired, we were about to leave and I saw a group of girls sitting on the ramp waiting for their ride.  All the pilots had left except two local ones, each flying 2 seaters.  It was obvious these girls were going to wait a long time, or possible be sent home.  

Steve was just landing with the "last flight" of kids, and was planning to go to the fuel farm to fuel.  I called him on the radio and told him 8 girls were waiting for a ride, would he do ONE more.  I would take three of them in the prop-jet and the last two could go in the last two single seat planes still flying.  He said yes and those girls were obviously happy after we got done.

And.........like Alex says, they really take on to the YOUNG pilots.  The young man in the photo bought his own plane, got his license, and has been accepted into the Air Force Academy.  He had one year of high school left when this picture was taken!  My Lancair can be seen behind the Ercoupe.

Tom

KCMX Young Eagles 8-12-17.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I'd disagree. I'm the youngest volunteer pilot in my chapter and just 7 years ago I was one of the googly-eyed kids riding in an RV-6. The last event I flew, I'd say maybe 10% of the kids were grinning ear to ear, and one kid yelling to his parents he wants to be a pilot. I gave three parents the contact info to my local CFI (who was in the pattern and later chatted with the parents).

It happens! Just gotta be positive. I don't want to be egotistical, but I think its very refreshing for kids to see someone like myself flying at such a young age. Gives them hope

I don't disagree with you but the real percentages of kids going on to careers in aviation is very small. We need to continue this despite how small the progress is. We also though should shift more of our resources on those 40+ years old who are set in their careers and have the disposable income to become pilots or A&P's as well as purchase airplanes. This will increase our ranks quicker and also tends to have kids of these adults be exposed to aviation more than just a Young Eagle flight. 

2 yrs ago I was involved in "Fly WOAW", similar to the Eagle programs, it's a 7 day event to introduce.females to aviation. We flew .750+ women and girls with 4 aircraft in 5 1/2 days (weather). WOAW is Women of Aviation Worldwide, very rewarding

I started flying the Young Eagles October & December of 2017 out of KLZU - Gwinnett County, GA.   It was very well coordinated, the pilots were well briefed, and faster planes flew at higher altitudes to separate them from the slower Cessna aircraft.  I thought it was very rewarding and I was glad I didn't have to pull out the vomit bags.  All the kids I flew were repeat flyers from earlier in the year.  We started at 0830, done by 12pm.  The kids got a logbook and completion certificate, both signed by the pilot.