Young Eagles

SantosDumont

I was talking with my wife tonight about the first time I ever rode in a GA airplane. It was a Young Eagles flight. I thought I should get involved and pay it forward so I went to the EAA Young Eagles site to find more info. Turns out they have a logbook where you can look up where and when you flew and what model aircraft.   I couldn’t believe that my first flight was 22 years ago in a Mooney!

• Like 7

I did tons of Young Eagles flights until they instituted the whole background check thing.  I cannot tell you how offended I was.  I donate my time, my avgas, my airplane and my expertise and they'er worried that with a handful of airplane I'm going to molest someone's kid.  Ok to entrust the child's very life to me, but heaven forbid I perv out.

I suppose I should just get over myself and get back to it, it is at its heart a very nice program.  Of course, I'm going to have to figure out hoot slow the Mooney down enough that I don't run over all those Skyhawks.

2 hours ago, steingar said:

I did tons of Young Eagles flights until they instituted the whole background check thing.  I cannot tell you how offended I was.  I donate my time, my avgas, my airplane and my expertise and they'er worried that with a handful of airplane I'm going to molest someone's kid.  Ok to entrust the child's very life to me, but heaven forbid I perv out.

I suppose I should just get over myself and get back to it, it is at its heart a very nice program.  Of course, I'm going to have to figure out hoot slow the Mooney down enough that I don't run over all those Skyhawks.

Definitely get over it and get back to flying the kids. It's not their fault and it's not your fault. You can be sure that ANYONE working or doing anything with kids these days has to go through this stuff. My wife is a child psychologist who works with Child Protective Services here in Texas. She was shocked it took EAA this long to get with the program. It is what it is and you shouldn't take it personally or be offended. 

The kids need to fly, so do it for the kids.

Young Eagles is the only reason I pay my EAA dues every year.

• Like 7

To me it seems like having background checks is the responsible thing to do for an organization made up of volunteers where kids are the target market.  Especially in today's litigious society where ZOMG he has a 50 year old airplane he must be a bajillionaire and he looked at my kid wrong let's sue him! 

3 hours ago, steingar said:

Of course, I'm going to have to figure out hoot slow the Mooney down enough that I don't run over all those Skyhawks.

just leave the gear down and flaps out.  you can probably slow down to like... 90 kts.... yeah those Skyhawks might need to get out of the way.

3 hours ago, steingar said:

Of course, I'm going to have to figure out hoot slow the Mooney down enough that I don't run over all those Skyhawks.

I find 2300 and whatever low MP produces ~100 mph, call it 16-17", works well for me [flaps up, gear up]. I still have to watch my 500fpm some-power-on descents to pattern altitude, though, since nothing will accelerate a Skyhawk.  :D

The Young Eagles program is a good program, but is not going to increase the pilot ranks dramatically any time soon. We should run a Gray Eagles program and get the people who have the means to fly and buy airplanes involved. Plenty of money being spent on Harley’s. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sabremech said:

The Young Eagles program is a good program, but is not going to increase the pilot ranks dramatically any time soon. We should run a Gray Eagles program and get the people who have the means to fly and buy airplanes involved. Plenty of money being spent on Harley’s. 

No doubt. I think I'm the only guy in my town that rides a foreign bike. Test drove a couple Harleys, fun bikes but literally twice the price of similar Vulcan, etc.

-Robert

I was talking with my wife tonight about the first time I ever rode in a GA airplane. It was a Young Eagles flight. I thought I should get involved and pay it forward so I went to the EAA Young Eagles site to find more info. Turns out they have a logbook where you can look up where and when you flew and what model aircraft.   I couldn’t believe that my first flight was 22 years ago in a Mooney!

I’m a YE coordinator so I’d be happy to help you get setup and connected.

One of our YE volunteers regularly brings his Debonair to our events, another brings his Mooney and a third brings a Cub. The rest are Cessnas of some type or stripe.

There are two programs for that. One is called AOPA Rusty Pilots seminar and the other is EAA Eagle Flights.

Both are fairly successful but need to be expanded.
  • Like 1

Young Eagles is a great program and the background check pissed me off at first as well. There was an incident where a sick bastard befriended a young eagle and then molested the child several weeks after the YE event, he was arrested and killed himself before going to trial. The background check is required for ALL who has contact with the YE's not just the pilots

10 hours ago, autopatch said:

There are two programs for that. One is called AOPA Rusty Pilots seminar and the other is EAA Eagle Flights.

Both are fairly successful but need to be expanded.

They absolutely need to be expanded as there’s a much higher probability in getting the kids of parents who own an airplane and fly into flying! 

• Like 1

I think it’s a great program.

There are many young kids who drive by the airport in their parents car, with noses stuck to the glass just itching to get on the other side of the fence( I was one of those Kids).

I had the opportunity to participate in a YE event a few yrs back, an it was very rewarding.

I have not had the opportunity to volunteer lately, so I haven’t had to deal with the background check.

But, its to be expected.

Just look at what goes on in this world these days

With Children, you can’t ever be to safe.

so a little extra paperwork won’t make leave a sour taste in my mouth.

• Like 2