Car Rentals

L. Trotter

Making arrangements for a rental car has not always been straightforward, particularly at the smaller airports. Arriving after hours Is often a dealbreaker for many FBO's. I would try to make arrangements online or by the standard call-in number. A simple rental frequently turned into a mess and I never knew if a car would actually be available when I arrived. NOT ANY MORE!

I'm not trying to endorse any specific rental company.....I just happen to use Enterprise/National.

I learned of a specific department Enterprise has dedicated to pilots. Talking to somebody who understands what an airport identifier is and what FBO stands for is really refreshing. Now when I call, I provide the airport identifier, date and approximate time I will arrive and the vehicle is there, ready to go-even after hours. When you're done, just park at the FBO and walk away. No paperwork to complete (before or after), no credit card issues etc.. The information is contained in your file. Additionally, the rental generates credits towards free future rentals. If the FBO already has rentals, they will work directly with them. There is no extra cost for this service and I typically receive discounts (5-10%) not available elsewhere. 

The Enterprise rental number is 877-421-3722 (Sorry, I don't know if Avis, Budget or any other rental agency has a similar service).

Perhaps this tid-bit will make someones life a little easier-It helped me.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

I sure would be nice if Enterprise would do business on Sundays.  Sometimes the FBO can accommodate a pickup or drop-off, but I often end up paying for an extra rental day as a result.

That happens when I try to go to my family reunion on Saturday. The Enterprise office closes at noon, and I refuse to pay two days' rental on a car to go to a long lunch and visit the family cemetery. So I end up begging someone to come pick me up. Last year we just drove over, now that we're much closer--no hassle except the traffic getting across ATL at zero agl . . . .

I returned a Hertz car to an FBO once(rented from the big airport, went to the FBO to bring my plane home) a week later Hertz called asking where their car was, I told them(the FBO told me it was no problem as they had a agreement with the local Hertz office)... I got automated calls for a full week before they finally apparently found the car exactly where I told them it was. They charged me correctly though. Needless to say if I rent again and return to a place that's not an actual rental location I'll be calling the rental office directly to tell them where the car is instead of trusting the FBO's assurances.

59 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

I sure would be nice if Enterprise would do business on Sundays.  Sometimes the FBO can accommodate a pickup or drop-off, but I often end up paying for an extra rental day as a result.

If you join the "Emerald club" through National  you will eliminate the extra day charge. They will drop off on Friday...you can pick up on Sunday-the day you start renting (doing this very thing next weekend).

• Like 1

I have have heard  some issues with Enterprise dedicated GA, particularly higher pricing. I know I get it much cheaper renting normally. OTOH, Enterprise is  often the best option and, at many airports, the only one. 

If I am going to an airport where I want to rent a car, I typically call the FBO to ask what they have and what it will cost. They usually have a preferred rate, but lately, my rate through the website is better.

If it's Enterprise, I make my reservation online. If it's a Sunday pickup or drop off, I select the appropriate business day. Then I call the local office to tell them it will be an airport pickup/drop off and the real days. They are typically very familiar with that - they do it all the time. Never been charged for the extra day.

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

Personally, when I’m traveling with my family I go to the biggest airport and the fbo with “jet” in the name. They’re far better at ensuring your car is ready. Mom and pop fbos are fine for gas stops  

-Robert

That works for some things, but I'm not going to ATL to get a rental car . . . especially when it would only be halfway to the family reunion . . .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

Personally, when I’m traveling with my family I go to the biggest airport and the fbo with “jet” in the name. They’re far better at ensuring your car is ready. Mom and pop fbos are fine for gas stops  

-Robert

Actually when I land at the "biggest airport" I usually reserve a rental at the terminal, since their rate is typically much lower than the same car, from the same company, at the FBO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, neilpilot said:

Actually when I land at the "biggest airport" I usually reserve a rental at the terminal, since their rate is typically much lower than the same car, from the same company, at the FBO.

That works great until you have a bunch of "stuff" with you.  I run into this at Lexington; our daughter is attending UK.  Most of the time we get her to pick us up now.

If it's just my wife and I and a couple of "carry-on" bags we'll do that and get a ride from the FBO.  Sorry, I'm not paying double for the car for multiple days.  A trip to Charleston the car at the FBO was so more expensive that a ride from Uber to and from the hotel and then getting a rental car a couple of blocks from the hotel was significantly cheaper.  :angry:   Not a little cheaper, a lot

1 hour ago, neilpilot said:

But you have to use the same vendor that the FBO uses or the car won't be brought out. No way I'm taking a bus ride to the passenger terminal to come back with a car an hour later. Most FBOs will bring the car out to the plane if you call them on UNICOM while on approach. Its actually part of my approach checklist, "Call FBO to ensure car is ready". That's what you get for a few bucks more at a Jet FBO.

-Robert

3 hours ago, neilpilot said:

I know.  It's crazy how much some FBOs charge for their rentals.

9 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

You don’t need to book through the fbo. Avis and hertz let you reserve online and select the fbo as the location. Never had an issue and still use my usaa discount. 

_Robert

Yes, but in my limited experience when I looked at booking using the FBO location, the rate quoted was much higher than the terminal rate, using the same booking tool.

Sometimes the terminal was literally a short walk from the FBO, as when I rented a car at KILG.  Other times the FBO would shuttle me over.  At the last Mooney Summit my 4 day rental would have been nearly double had I rented from the FBO, even though I was still able to drop off at the FBO when I turned it back in.

• Like 1

I’ve occasionally just asked the FBO CSR if they can match the terminal rate.  More often than not they are happy to adjust it down to whatever they can.  Last FBO rental I did I used that enterprise number above - you get an emerald club number with AOPA (and maybe EAA too)- super easy experience.  Landed at GIF and the guys pulled up to the plane in the rental car.  Off we went.  

... and then there was the time when I flew myself to my daughter’s delivery as I was out of town when my wife went into labor.  My wife hid that she wanted me there pronto (avoid get there itis) but when I landed and the line guy arrived in a Mustang my sister in law rented for me meant I was supposed to use posted speed limits as a general suggestion and to be there ASAP.  :-)

It's a habit of mine to take a series of pictures of the car before I get in it and after I return it. When returning I also take a wide shot to show that it was taken in the company's garage or outside lot. Since the picture is encoded with GPS location, time and day, it serves as a good record. I delete the pictures about five months later because you never know how long it's going to take them to report damage that they are trying to pin on you.

• Like 2

I normally have used Enterprise when they are available but had problems with two rentals during last years summer vacation. Two car rentals generated three billing errors all of which were resolved by contacting the appropriate Regional Manager. Does take some of the fun out of it when you have to deal with this stuff!

43 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

It's a habit of mine to take a series of pictures of the car before I get in it and after I return it. When returning I also take a wide shot to show that it was taken in the company's garage or outside lot. Since the picture is encoded with GPS location, time and day, it serves as a good record. I delete the pictures about five months later because you never know how long it's going to take them to report damage that they are trying to pin on you.

I got a bill for some damage to a car almost a year later once. 

-Robert

3 hours ago, rbridges said:

I know.  It's crazy how much some FBOs charge for their rentals.

No doubt Rob.  I experienced this going into Destin a few months back.  I thought the rate was for the entire rental and they corrected me that it was per day-Over $100/day for the crappiest car available.

1 hour ago, BKlott said:

I normally have used Enterprise when they are available but had problems with two rentals during last years summer vacation. Two car rentals generated three billing errors all of which were resolved by contacting the appropriate Regional Manager. Does take some of the fun out of it when you have to deal with this stuff!

My last two Enterprise rentals have had issues (admittadly I am not emerald club or whatever they call it).  The first was being charged an extra day.  The second was being charged every optional insurance available.  I'm pretty sure that one was intentional.

I’m a frequent renter at the terminal at KILM.  There’s a greater than 50% chance that there will be some sort of billing error that results in me being overcharged and it’s not commmon to a particular rental agency.  Something tells me either it is either incredibly sloppy as an industry practice or some of the “DBA”s are trying to pad their bottom lines.  It’s a total pain that I have to make a call to some CSR at the main number so they can talk to the unreachable DBA to fix a charge.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

My last two Enterprise rentals have had issues (admittadly I am not emerald club or whatever they call it).  The first was being charged an extra day.  The second was being charged every optional insurance available.  I'm pretty sure that one was intentional.

Usually the amount of insurance is dictated by your membership card. Typically you'll have to set that up before getting the Avis/Hertz/Enterprise card.

-Robert

1 minute ago, RobertGary1 said:

Usually the amount of insurance is dictated by your membership card. Typically you'll have to set that up before getting the Avis/Hertz/Enterprise card.

-Robert

I'm sure that will help but I did decline it on the rental form.  I've rented a fair number of times from Enterprise.  I guess I need to get my membership done.  FWIW, I'm a very regular renter with Hertz for work so I"m familiar with the process-that's why I think they are intentionally ripping off some of the FBO customers figuring no one is looking at the bills that closely.