Buying an Airplane

KLRDMD

I've been kinda, sorta, maybe looking for an airplane with greater useful load. For my day to day flying, the Mooney is perfect but for my charity flights (Flying Samaritans, Angel Flights and Veteran's Airlift Command), I really could use more useful load. I wasn't actively looking but if something popped up that looked promising I would inquire. 

It is amazing the number of people, mostly brokers but some private owners that stop communication when asked for logs. I had that happen a few times. I asked for logs from some people three times without ever getting them. Oh well, those airplanes were no longer in consideration. I've thought about sending a letter to the owners letting them know their broker isn't doing them any favors. Maybe I will, maybe not.

Around Christmas decided I was going to start actively looking instead of just being passive.

On January 1st I sent an inquiry to an owner. On January 2 he provided pdf copies of the logs. On January 4 we talked about the airplane on the phone and I knew the price it would take to buy it if I so chose. On January 6th a fellow Mooney owner (and Mooneyspace member) looked at the airplane for me in person and flew it. An hour later I had agreed to buy the airplane. On January 8th I sent a wire transfer for the entire purchase price. The airplane is being delivered to me on January 13th.

From first inquiry to delivery (some 1300+ NM away) in less than two weeks. It really can be that fast and easy.

[There is now a Garmin 345 transponder with ADS-B IN/OUT installed]

Photo Mar 27, 17 51 45.jpg

Photo Mar 27, 17 54 40.jpg

Photo Sep 07, 17 09 46.jpg

• Like 9

So, is this #43 Ken?  I lost track after reading many of your past threads...  :-)

Just kidding...seriously, congratulations.  I've been giving a "bit" of thought to a twin for those very reasons, as there are missions I would like to pick up that the Ovation - due to weight restrictions - can't do with much range capability.  Have also looked at a TBM850, but unlike you, I'm still in the  "very, very preliminary" stage and have a ways to go.  Again, congrats.

Steve

• Like 1

Just now, StevenL757 said:

So, is this #43 Ken?  I lost track after reading many of your past threads...  :-) Just kidding...seriously, congratulations.  I've been giving a "bit" of thought to a twin for those very reasons, as there are missions I would like to pick up that the Ovation - due to weight restrictions - can't do with much range capability.  Have also looked at a TBM850, but unlike you, I'm still in the  "very, very preliminary" stage and have a ways to go.  Again, congrats.

This is #15 for me. My 5th twin. The fatal T210 accident last month pushed me to a twin again. And I fly over water some and very inhospitable terrain almost every day.

Oh, and did I mention the Baron has the Arctic Air Real A/C unit. Once I got serious about looking, it had to be a twin, with a useful load over 1,500 lb and good air conditioning :)

I've considered turboprops but I'm just not there financially. 

Just now, StevenL757 said:

I understand.  Sounds like this fits the bill perfectly, and yes, that A/C is amazing, and will pay for itself in spades.  Would love to see some pics on delivery day...if you think about it.

Delivery day is Saturday and I'll be out of the country. But I'll be back home Sunday and should be able to get photos then. And since Monday is a holiday, I'm FLYING !! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Looks like a really nice plane.  I also like 70mb if the price could be worked down.  Not ready for a twin myself but the 55’s look like a great value. 

Seems fairly priced to me. Make an offer for what you want to pay.

On 1/10/2018 at 7:57 PM, steingar said:

Good luck with the airplane, and don’t skimp on the training. One of those engines takes a dump and things happen fast.

I do recurrent training on a regular basis regardless of the airplane I fly. And I have a decent leg up on this one having owned a Baron previously and put a couple hundred hours on it and have my MEI and multi-ATP.

And no, in real life things don't happen that fast when you lose an engine in a twin.

Ken, I hate you... :P

One of these days, I'm going to trade up to a nice Baron.  Let me know when you're done with this one and we can talk...  ;)

When I retire from the military in about 4 years, that will be the time to do it so I can fly more mission like you're doing on the side - but with furry critters instead.  :)

Cheers,

Brian

Nice looking plane and a spiffy panel.

I'm flying a Baron 58 now, but looking to get back to a single.  The 28-30 gal/hr fuel burn is nuts.  If you have the need though, a twin is great.  I moved my daughter out of her dorm room with the Baron at the end of her freshman year.  I've only needed the seats/load on maybe 3 trips in 2 years though, and two of those were Angel Flight missions.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wayne Cease said:

Nice looking plane and a spiffy panel. I'm flying a Baron 58 now, but looking to get back to a single.  The 28-30 gal/hr fuel burn is nuts.  If you have the need though, a twin is great.  I moved my daughter out of her dorm room with the Baron at the end of her freshman year.  I've only needed the seats/load on maybe 3 trips in 2 years though, and two of those were Angel Flight missions.

We need to get you to the Church of Lean of Peak. Barons fly very well at 11 GPH or less per side.

• Like 1

We need to get you to the Church of Lean of Peak. Barons fly very well at 11 GPH per side.
It has Gami's but they are not balanced. Earlier one of the probes on each engine wasn't working. :( I don't own it.

I flew a 2002 SR22 for 4+ years, ran it LOP all the time. It did 170 knots at ~12.5 gph.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, Wayne Cease said:

It should. It's 500 lbs lighter, narrower & shorter (smaller frontal area), has retractable gear and is a turbo charged 4 cylinder.

I like Mooneys. I'm looking at a couple with a partner now.

A 231 is a 6 cylinder, although it is still 360 cubic inch.

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

Ken,  It's beautiful.  Enjoy it.  If I can ever get out of this two airplane merry go round I'm on right now a 55 just might be my forever airplane.

If I were to pick one airplane to say, "I shouldn't have sold that one", it would have been my B55 Baron. It was a Colemill.

• Like 2