RETIREMENT AND AIRPLANE OWNERSHIP

bonal

The Weber's made the lucas seem awesome, Im in the Triumph camp, 4, Spitfires, Tr-6, Tr-250 and a Tr-8. The spits were fun to drive the 8 couldn't keep straight n wet roads. I ran the national SCCA rally circuit for 10+ years, now there gone, or only a few  around.Datsun's were my rally cars, the Triumph couldn't hold up.

3 hours ago, neilpilot said:

My only British car was a Spitfire, and I'd rather not talk about the Fiat 124 and 133 sedans I had in the early 70s.  But my wife's first car was a MGA Coupe.  Her father was an auto mechanic, otherwise it would have been intolerable.  Even then, it quit so many times that she ended up leaving it dead on the side of a MS road.  She still loved that car enough to commission a portrait of her first car; it hangs in our house.5a5fa77138b8e_BeckysMG.thumb.jpg.9d4e63db0551615167437a17d3859762.jpg

Is that a twin-cam MGA.  On second thought, no, the inset grill was the 1600 cc.

4 minutes ago, Danb said:

The Weber's made the lucas seem awesome, Im in the Triumph camp, 4, Spitfires, Tr-6, Tr-250 and a Tr-8. The spits were fun to drive the 8 couldn't keep straight n wet roads. I ran the national SCCA rally circuit for 10+ years, now there gone. Datsun's were my rally cars, the Triumph couldn't hold up.

I always wanted a TR6. I still do. Just never could afford one.

My friend got to borrow his dads red TR6 a lot.  He would let me drive it.  Loved the car.  The overdrive stalk was pretty cool.  That straight six had a beautiful sound.  The wood dash with analog gauges bouncing all over was just a ball on the backroads.  Downshifting and blipping gave the sexiest burble.  I would love to have that car and revisit my memories...

4 hours ago, neilpilot said:

My only British car was a Spitfire, and I'd rather not talk about the Fiat 124 and 133 sedans I had in the early 70s.  But my wife's first car was a MGA Coupe.  Her father was an auto mechanic, otherwise it would have been intolerable.  Even then, it quit so many times that she ended up leaving it dead on the side of a MS road.  She still loved that car enough to commission a portrait of her first car; it hangs in our house.5a5fa77138b8e_BeckysMG.thumb.jpg.9d4e63db0551615167437a17d3859762.jpg

I want one.

2 hours ago, donkaye said:

The picture is 24 years old.  I still have the airplane, still have the color coordinated car... and still have the girl.

2011_03_27_15_00_27.jpg

The statistical odds of holding on to that trifecta for that long in this day and age is similarly to hitting a powerball lottery!

• Like 2

Among many sports cars I’ve owned over the years I had a twin cam MGA, roadster (most twin cans were coupes) mostly built in aluminum; one of 100 “homologized” for racing. This thread brought back many sports car memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Danb said:

Jeez Paul my Tr6 long ago was $2,500 although that was a bunch in 1970

Yep, I turned 16 and got a license in 1983. I was working after school for $3.35/hr. A TR6 could be had for $2000 but I bought an MG for $600.

I'd still like to have a TR6 but I'm currently driving an M3 and have my eye on an 911. So the economics have changed a bit. :D

• Like 1

Geeez, I'm old. I've got shoes older than you guys.

Had 911SC (pristine condition), 65 vette coupe (350hp/327 numbers matched, hyd. lifters, if you know chevy engines), caddies, mecedes, you name it. All good but in the long run- all ego driven. Now its a pick'um up and  versa, fits our lifestyle just right. OH, all are paid for in full in full, NO payments. We don't change cars every year. We use them till they die. Don't know who the Jones are next door :-) Don't care. 

Cliffy my buddy had a 64 yellow 350/327 vette, I had a 64 Plymouth 426 dual quads,aluminum front, we had a great time on Friday nights, had a 1/4 mile strip actually a road ran en off, cops didn't bother us,sometimes they watched, yep times have changed.

So what I'm getting from these last few pages is that retired guys also like to relieve their automotive life, just like their aviation life.  I guess I better get cracking on that.  I've never had too much affinity for cars, beyond the casual appreciation of "hey, that looks cool" or "that looks fast" or "that might get me laid!"  But after missing the first 16+ seasons of their hit show Top Gear, I finally tuned into Jeremy, James and Richard in their Amazon series The Grand Tour.  I gotta' say, it makes we want to go out and drift my car on some slick streets (can't afford to tear up tires the way these guys do!) and dream about tooling around in a Super Car that, let's face it, doesn't cost that much more than a late-model Ovation.

Hey, if I could afford one, perhaps the other...that might take some 'splainin' with the missus!

11 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

A TR6 could be had for $2000 but I bought an MG for $600.

Geez, Paul, you were rich! I could only afford $375 for the Karmann Ghia I bought in 1981.  And it was rusted to shit and I had to rebuild the engine.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, cliffy said:

Had 911SC (pristine condition), 65 vette coupe (350hp/327 numbers matched, hyd. lifters, if you know chevy engines), caddies, mecedes, you name it. All good but in the long run- all ego driven. Now its a pick'um up and  versa, fits our lifestyle just right. OH, all are paid for in full in full, NO payments. We don't change cars every year. We use them till they die. Don't know who the Jones are next door :-) Don't care. 

Anyone who talks about a 911, isn't that old. My Porsche was a 356B. The 911 was a "newer" model. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cliffy said:

Too bad you didn’t hold on to them until today as their value would be huge...making your recent maintenance expenses a non-concern.  Interesting that you acknowledge ego and “no need anymore a pick-up is fine”.  Well good for you.  As I look at houses down the street in the 3/4’s of a million range I say “good for them”.  Not me though.  I have more house than I need or ever thought I would own.  On quality automobiles...cars are for the most part a depreciating asset, but if you buy the “right car” like the “right firearm” you can own, use, enjoy and realize appreciation.  THAT is a beautiful thing.  Your choice of vehicles in past was excellent, but your using them only as a tool and ego enhancer was maybe a mistake?  I really enjoy my Porsche and will soon own/buy (money is close to free now I will borrow and continue to invest) an upgrade.  Not because I give a flying $%^& about what my neighbors think, but because I desire “more” and can, so I will.  I will have a pick-up too (eyeing my father-in-laws Tacoma with a matching topper steel rims and a four cylinder with hand crank windows) for winter running and dog trips to field.  A 400+BHP six in the rear with sport exhaust is all the intoxicating drugs I need.  After 30+ years and counting of work and company cars in garage for entire career...yeah, my daily driver will make me smile.

Edited by MyNameIsNobody

Well not many wanted a rattle trap 4 cylinder bathtub back when they were a few hundred dollars. Then again a Speedster has a certain appeal for looks.

At the time, I wanted the fast and fancy cars, IN TIME I realized that they were mostly an ego stroke with no real purpose other than show off. My cousin collects 60s 911s. Hes got a dozen and counting. My 911 got light in the rear at 126 mph (no whale tail model). My vette was rock solid at 125. Now later in life I look back and enjoy the fact that I drove them but also that I now don't have to worry about maintaining them or having them stolen.

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2018 at 9:55 AM, Jeff_S said:

One of these will hopefully take advantage of my MooneySpace connections and friends in the Southeast as I am working with the airport authority here at Amelia on some new "amenities".  Time will tell if that comes to pass...!

We love Amelia so keep us posted!!

I had plenty of the British cars back in the day and I remember the Lucas electricals. You older guys have to remember when we called Lucas "the Prince of Darkness" and the joke " Why do the Brits drink warm beer? Because they have Lucas refrigerators" etc etc. Some of those British cars in my past were MGB, Triumph Spitfires, Triumph Stag, Tr4, AH 100/4, Lotus Esprits, Sprite and probably a few others I forgot about. I still love cars and own way more than I should. The first car I bought with my Burger Chef check and really liked was a 63 Studebaker Hawk with the Avanti engine option. It seems like retirement is when we decide to do everything we wanted to do but didn't. 

• 1 year later...