Method 7 Sunglasses

Danb

A couple of us at the Diamond booth bought these @ OSH in 2016.  Shockingly, as of OSH2017, none of us had lost, sat on, or otherwise ruined these very expensive glasses.  The manufacturer came by with a tool to measure the wavelengths of the light penetrating the canopy, and obviously they'd thought a great deal about this.

They are really excellent sunglasses. Survey size of three gives three thumbs up.

-dan

6 hours ago, Piloto said:

Wait until you get the cataracts replacement lenses. Crystal clear super sharp vision day and night and yes they are compatible with headsets. Guarantee for life. I am very happy with mine.

José 

I complained that someone was polluting the sky to the extent that it was perpetually brown/gray colored. After my cataract surgery, I was delighted when the sky was blue again. Honestly, I had no idea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HRM said:

Don, how long do you have to wait after the surgery to fly again? 

I'm sorry, I don't remember, but my memory is that I either did or was capable of (and would have if I had wanted) a week later. The cataract surgery was really almost a non event.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nels said:

Don't want derail this thread but I have question on cataract surgery. Are the auto focus lenses acceptable for pilots?

The lenses are fix focus (no shape changeable) at any distance very much like a pin hole camera but without the light attenuation, infinite depth of field. I can read my cell phone while driving and simultaneously see at distance in sharp focus the street sign at night. I was able to drive the same day the doctor took off the eye patch three days later. No issues for flying. At night on approach I can see the actual runway pavement while reading  my cell phone map on the sun visor. Because the new lenses are more clear than the biological ones you may need to wear sunglasses on sunny days. This clarity causes the colors to be more vivid, that was my first impression looking at trees and the sky.

José

I had both eyes done about 18 months ago.  As I recall, the FAA says the multi-focal lenses are not approved for flying...however my information is 18 months old and perhaps the regs have changed.  Second, the docs only do one eye at a time...it was two weeks before the second eye got the IOL after the first.  Third, I could see perfectly out of each eye the minute I woke up the day after the surgery.  Probably not a good idea to do anything strenuous for a week or two after the eye surgery....the doc said not to bend over and pick up anything or do any physical labor or play sports for that period.

There is an FAA form that you need to get the eye doc to fill out after he finishes with both eyes and checks out your vision...just take that form to your next medical and have the AME submit it with your exam (not even sure that happens...he might just keep it in his files).  I don't recall that the 3rd class medical requires clearance to return to flight after the surgery...I just went ahead and went flying when my eyes had healed.  I hadn't seen that well in about 40 years!

I made lens implants for 9 years. Many people like the multifocal lenses. Many eye doctors, however, do not recommend them for engineers or pilots, as those people tend to have higher performance expectations. Seems we have a reputation that preceeds us . . . Me, I'm both. 

6 hours ago, Piloto said:

The lenses are fix focus (no shape changeable) at any distance very much like a pin hole camera but without the light attenuation, infinite depth of field. I can read my cell phone while driving and simultaneously see at distance in sharp focus the street sign at night. I was able to drive the same day the doctor took off the eye patch three days later. No issues for flying. At night on approach I can see the actual runway pavement while reading  my cell phone map on the sun visor. Because the new lenses are more clear than the biological ones you may need to wear sunglasses on sunny days. This clarity causes the colors to be more vivid, that was my first impression looking at trees and the sky.

José

PIn hole lenses. I know those date back to ancient Rome but didn't realize that technology was used with cataract implants. Is that a standard type lense? How is your perifial vision?

Awesome I go to the eye doc today for my prescription, I ordered the M-7 kit yesterday, Lauren at M-7 said the doc will measure the focal point then I forward the info and kit back. Hopefully it won't take to long to get them.

Big question for us using reading glasses, do they offer them as a bifocal? I have been stable for 15 years using a 1.25X. Rather than spending hundreds on prescription glasses, I have been going to boomersintheknow.com and buying sunglasses with light or no tinted reading areas for the bifocals. Not the best quality but the optics are clear and at $12 to $20 range, I don't feel too bad when I accidentally sit on them with my fat arse.

4 hours ago, nels said:

PIn hole lenses. I know those date back to ancient Rome but didn't realize that technology was used with cataract implants. Is that a standard type lense? How is your perifial vision?

Peripheral vision is good. Like in many products they have different lenses grade, I didn't get the ones with X-ray vision. I pay $4,000 for both eyes, well worth it. Before the lenses replacement the floaters in my eyes were annoying specially when flying in clear weather. At times I thought I saw birds passing by. After the surgery the floaters are not annoying at all.

José

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Big question for us using reading glasses, do they offer them as a bifocal? I have been stable for 15 years using a 1.25X. Rather than spending hundreds on prescription glasses, I have been going to boomersintheknow.com and buying sunglasses with light or no tinted reading areas for the bifocals. Not the best quality but the optics are clear and at $12 to $20 range, I don't feel too bad when I accidentally sit on them with my fat arse.

They do Chris also progressive which is what I fly with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

That's why I order my glasses from zenni.com. They even come with a one-year warranty.

6 hours ago, nels said:

I don't know nothing 'bout no pinholes . . . J&J advertises a multifocal soft contact lens with three focal zones:  one for near, one for far, and one for in-between. Our implants were about half the size of soft contacts [1/4" diameter], and depending on lens model and features, had up to 12 focal zones. There has been much controversy and discussion about FAA acceptance of them, as they are not the banned monovision lenses [one eye near, one eye far].

See above for doctor recommendations for pilots. Talk to your doctor and see what he thinks.

As far as I know, they are continuing to produce new models with additional features. We parted ways at the end of 2013.