Pre-purchase near Los Angeles?

Lowbid

I have reached an agreement to purchase a J model.  Any pre-purchase/annual shop recommendations near L.A. are appreciated!

The seller has agreed to pay additional to cover the cost for a full annual.  Last year's annual was performed at Foothill.

Also... my 1965 C model will soon be on the market after I take care of a couple minor issues (DG needs overhaul and G430W needs upgrade and refurbishment).  It has been a great plane, but time to travel a little faster in a newer bird.  It is equipped with an STEC 30, alt. hold and GPSS.  I am the third owner.  Second owner had it since the mid 70's.  I would be embarrassed to tell you how much my first annual cost at Willmar... live and learn.

I used CrownAir in San Diego MYF for one of my PPI's.  They are a Mooney Service Center, and they have a flat fee around $940 if I remember right.  They took care of me when I dropped by during the inspection, and spent 90 minutes walking me around a plane with a lot of squawks.  The mechanic (whose name I'm banging my head to recall) took the time to answer a ton of questions, and was willing to opine that for the price, this was probably not my plane.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I used CrownAir in San Diego MYF for one of my PPI's.  They are a Mooney Service Center, and they have a flat fee around $940 if I remember right.  They took care of me when I dropped by during the inspection, and spent 90 minutes walking me around a plane with a lot of squawks.  The mechanic (whose name I'm banging my head to recall) took the time to answer a ton of questions, and was willing to opine that for the price, this was probably not my plane.

I also recommend CrownAir in San Diego. Especially if you are turning it into annual. As a MSC they've been working on Mooney's probably longer than anyone still there. Suggest you ask to have Bill perform the inspection, since he is the remaining Mooney guru. Dave is the manager that you would talk to over the phone.

If you do convert the PPI into an annual at the owners expense, it could pose an interesting challenge since the owner is still legally responsible to whomever is doing the work for any decisions, not you until you own it. Just something to consider.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kortopates said:

I also recommend CrownAir in San Diego. Especially if you are turning it into annual. As a MSC they've been working on Mooney's probably longer than anyone still there. Suggest you ask to have Bill perform the inspection, since he is the remaining Mooney guru. Dave is the manager that you would talk to over the phone.

If you do convert the PPI into an annual at the owners expense, it could pose an interesting challenge since the owner is still legally responsible to whomever is doing the work for any decisions, not you until you own it. Just something to consider.

I think it was Dave I was talking to.  Bill must have been the guy half-in and half-out of the tailcone door.

I agree on the whole seller-pay-for-annual thing.  It's a complication and it definitely will result in further uncomfortable negotiations.  It could also expose you to liability, since if you ask the seller to spend money as "consideration" for a sale, once he spends money it could be a binding verbal contract and you could be sued if you back out.  I'm not saying that's likely to happen or be successful, but worth thinking about.  Consider asking the mechanic if you could convert it to an annual after the sale (or give a discount on the annual), and ask the seller for a reasonable price reduction for the annual cost and expected repair fees before the sale is complete (since you will have some information from the pre-purchase). 

I bought my 252 needing an annual as well. I negotiated a purchase price to take the need for the annual into consideration. I started with a pre-buy that I as the buyer would pay for. At the point in the pre-buy that I was comfortable buying the airplane, I first finalized the purchase, then told the shop to proceed to annual the plane which I paid for as well. 

I think the motivation is all wrong for the seller to be paying for an annual. I'd much rather take the estimated cost out of the purchase price, then once I own the plane, I'll be able to make 100% of the decisions during the annual.

Just my $0.02

• Like 3

• 1 month later...