Hanger FIRE!!!!!

Earlier this week I received an e-mail that stated there was a hanger fire #19 East T’s.  I am four away.  The pilot that had the fire is my CFI and a really good guy.  He has traded up to a current Cessna Turbo (Carbon) bird and it may be totaled :(  I gave him a call and he said he had an old power strip on a work bench with a Formica type top.  He had his block heater and cabin heater as well as a battery minder plugged into the power strip.  The strip over-heated and started the Formica on fire and his tail had heat damage...

Two hangers behind his and two on either side had planes that had smoke soot.  I could detect no sign of smoke intrusion.  Just a heads up to be vigilant on grounded cords and getting a quality power strip that is UL listed and think about “retiring” after a few years of service.  Hangers are tough environments for heat and cold.

Fingers crossed for Jim.  He was insured, but getting another plane as nice as his will be tough...Bad things happen to good people.

• Sad 3

I always worry about the remote switches as well. In my write-up about these, sometimes they are modified to carry more current than they should. As well, sometimes the box itself isn’t even carrying any sort of electrical compliance certification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, mooniac15u said:

Even UL listed power strips aren't generally designed to handle high-load devices like heaters.  Heaters should be plugged directly into wall outlets.

Seems like the right way to roll.  That is how we complete.  We only plug in night before.

Anybody store fuel in plastic containers in their hanger?  Not a good idea.  The article with ammunition involved in a fire as well as compressed fuel gas also sobering.  Be careful.  This scenario is an example of how others can impact you.  The level of flammable and combustibles you have can contribute to fire when initiated by others...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Anybody store fuel in plastic containers in their hanger?  Not a good idea.  The article with ammunition involved in a fire as well as compressed fuel gas also sobering.  Be careful.  This scenario is an example of how others can impact you.  The level of flammable and combustibles you have can contribute to fire when initiated by others...

I agree and every hangar rental/lease agreement I have seen has had language prohibiting such substances - some even get  extreme prohibiting compressed gas, battery's  etc. But I assume violating such an agreement would add significantly to ones liability exposure when something like this happens.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, M20Doc said:

This one from the Comanche forum, it’s a melted twin Comanche

Clarence

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7848859-181/single-engine-plane-catches-fire-in

-"A heater in the cockpit used to keep electronics warm in cold weather is being considered as the possible cause."-

What is this heater and why do you need it? I don't have one. The guy is in Petaluma, CA. We don't really have cold weather. This plane hasn't recently been for sale has it?