How do you mount your ipad

42 minutes ago, bob865 said:

I've had some trouble with my ipad overheating and shutting down

I had this every single flight since april. The reason is my kneepad which doesn’t cool the iPad at all. Au contraire, it adds body heat :-/

I’m going for the yoke mount this time...

A small white hand towel draped over the iPad anytime it's in direct sunlight will solve this problem as well. I keep one in the seat back pocket just for this purpose.

My iPad has overheated just once in the last 941 hours in the Mooney.

• Like 1

I have flown with iPads for the past 8 years in cockpits that reached 55C in some pretty awful locations. I have never had one shut down.  I have used an ipad 2 and two different ipad mini 4s.  I have used otter box and life proof cases. 

• Like 1

Mine will only overheat in direct sun.  First time it shut down on me was on my way from from FL when I had by tanks resealed.  I took it off the yoke and tossed it in my passenger seat to cool.  Left it there out of the sun and it never oveheated the rest of the trip.  Same on the most recent flight.  Flight one direction was cooler in the cockpit, but direct sun on the ipad.  Return was warmer but sun was on the other side so no overheating.  This last time, I took it out of the mygoflight mount and the back was hot to the touch.  That mount keeps about a 4-7mm thick pocket of air across the whole back of the ipad.  A perfect insulator on the side that is designed to disapate the heat.  My hope with the fans is to circulate that insulating layer on the back of my ipad so heat can't collect.

• 3 months later...

Late to the topic.  I've been using a Velcro strap on my leg (and back of iPad pro 10.5) to keep it from falling on the floor when need both hands.   Decided I wanted a mount and was cruising the space.   Then I remembered I had Garmin 196 mount.   I removed the 4 screws retaining the receptacle for the 196 which leaves a 3x4 inch flat area to which I added Velcro.   The iPad sticks to that and may be re-positioned up or down without loosening the mount. Seems like it will work fine.

IMG_0885.JPG