How do you mount your ipad

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

You mean this ol’ thing?
f7b47596a966563ada75a8dbff27e72b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hate is such a harsh word.......  so I'll settle on I have an envious dislike for you! 

That is awesome!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

From other responses, it looks like I've got a pretty typical tablet mounting location. I really like having the space to mount it there. Every other plane I have flown, leg mounted worked well for the tablet for me. In the Mooney, I just don't have the lap space. The right side mount is a little further away than I'd like for reading approach plates. Sorry for the crappy tablet mount picture. It was the best I could find with a couple minutes of looking.

The mount I'm more proud of is my phone holder on the yoke. I designed it in SolidWorks and 3D printed it. The mount is located by the recessed area of the emblem on the yoke. Rubber bands hold it against the yoke. Easy install/removal and no modification needed to the yoke. The stylus/pen holder has been pretty handy too.

Tablet Mount.jpg

DSC01012_small.jpg

DSC01017_small.jpg

DSC01020_small.jpg

DSC01021_small.jpg

• Like 3

We have come along way in 3D printing ideas!

From....to....

• Early discussions of possibilities 
  • replacement switch covers.
  • Ceiling decorative mounting pieces.
  • a phone mount, with an innovative pen holder.

Nice creativity!

The background pic needs an upgrade... like a four seat, factory built, retractable speedster from TX or something like that....  :)

Thanks for sharing,

-a-

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

The background pic needs an upgrade... like a four seat, factory built, retractable speedster from TX or something like that....  :)

I get to see the Mooney all the time in real life. I don't get to see the Diamond very often. 3CT is the plane I earned my PPL in. Still one of my favorite planes for local sightseeing. Hard to get a better view.

I do not mount my Ipad at all. 

I DO mount my Iphone 7plus on the forward part of the left window when I am shooting an instrument approach. I use a clamp type phone mount which has a suciion cup on its bottom. Works great when I need to reference the plate quickly during low approaches.

• 2 months later...
Always in search of a good way to use an iPad Pro (10.5) in the Mooney,
The latest thing which seems to work well for roughly $35 worth of RAM parts, most of which I already hadimage.thumb.png.73aa42ee8f42af1584a73b2294e91f42.png

image.thumb.png.c8545dbf3d74699208fef0f1bded20b1.png

image.thumb.png.e47a247fc6d2875a02deda640fff31c9.png
Portrait or Landscape seems to work equally well
image.thumb.png.35af56a42971b22e37728728638061ab.png

image.thumb.png.6a2c678d99c5b1a076f5e1731e1ddeb8.png

With all that pretty glass who needs an iPad???:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

With GTN and 696 I get along just fine w/o an IPad in flight but Nancy likes to follow traffic...
The 696 is on a RAM mount bolted to the corner of the panel. The IPad is on a magnetic ball/socket STEELIE NITE IZE which I like a lot. 
IMG_20180720_105003980.thumb.jpg.145d767671b86e63433e9e49f86e31f8.jpg
IMG_20180720_104754102_HDR.thumb.jpg.bfc1d54c2dc0b138f9ee205ddd72832b.jpg

Looks like I need more upgrades......:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

I started flying with Foreflight and IPad in 2011.  I tried several different mounts with no satisfaction.  I flew with a friend in his musketeer and he had his in a leather case on his lap.  The leather kept it from sliding around.  That’s what I went to and it has worked great.  About a year ago I bought a new IPad and bought a rubber case like the put them in for kids to play with.  The rubber is sort of sticky and will not slide around on my lap at all.  It was cheap too.  $12 I think.

Works great for me.

• 9 months later...
On 5/17/2018 at 7:29 PM, John Mininger said:

Jonathon,

I use an iPad Mini now, but I used an Air 2 for over a year with the same setup. So with the same mount set-up, on a longer trip I have the Mini on the left yoke and the full size Air 2 or the right yoke.

John

John,

care to list the part references ?  The Ram website gives me a headache...

thanks,

Stan

1 hour ago, Airways said:

John,

care to list the part references ?  The Ram website gives me a headache...

thanks,

Stan

This is what I have in my 1965.

Ram Mount for Yoke: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005F29036/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Holder for Tablet (I have a Samsung Tab A 10.1): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085MDF52/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Did you mount the socket mount under the yoke as well ?

2 hours ago, Airways said:

Did you mount the socket mount under the yoke as well ?

I have the arm going under the yoke, above it blocks too much of the panel for me. I also have the knob that you twist to tighten it on the left side so it doesn't interfere with the knobs for the parking brake/heat/vent. The only thing on the left side are switches that don't stick out very far.

20190530_175905.thumb.jpg.e1e9e3bc77a83a83cf023d6b8312a46a.jpg

Thought I would throw this in the mix.  I've had some trouble with my ipad overheating and shutting down in my goflight holder since the weather has warmed up, so I'm making some changes.  Still in work, but here's where I'm at so far.  Will be USB powered so you can plug it in when needed.  The fans draw air out, and I still need to drill holes or open a vent on the other side for the air to enter.I haven't decided the most cosmetically pleasing way to do it yet. 

20190701_195457.jpg