How do you mount your ipad

On 1/9/2018 at 9:09 PM, DanM20C said:

I use a Mini on a RAM mount on the pilot side yoke.  I'm pretty sure it was that combo that broke my jaw and took out my tooth.  Today I learned that I will most likely need one more tooth removed, 5 or 6 root canals, bone grafting, braces, and then implants.  The insurance company is throwing a fit and refusing to cover any of it.  It will probably be 25AMU's by the time its done. 

Throw the iPad away, Install a GTN750 and Velcro a pillow to the yoke.  You will be money ahead :)

Cheers,

Dan

On what basis is the insurance company refusing to cover your injuries?   

• 4 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, xcrmckenna said:

This is my 201 cockpit till January 22nd

42b163a421cc4efae022d8f10e2f1a82.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any overheating or charging problems? I assume you have a 12/24V 2port USB plug running out of the cigarette port?

I use a mini mounted on the yoke.  Recently purchased this cord which works much better than the standard cable that sticks out the bottom.  I threaded it behind the Ram mount along the yoke shaft behind the panel to the cigarette lighter port and flush mount Aiken USB port.  No cables running through the cockpit 

https://www.amazon.com/Right-Charge-Lightning-2-meter-6-feet/dp/B01138XWO8

1B527166-67F2-445B-AFC3-5E0BD823C122.jpeg

14CBEA9E-58A4-40D4-B469-D16E354AE57C.jpeg

• Like 2

Any overheating or charging problems? I assume you have a 12/24V 2port USB plug running out of the cigarette port?

No problems, and yes on the 2 port usb plug. I use the ifd440 to keep my cell phone charged. The copilot side iPad mount is an inault cooling mount. I had my iPad overheat early last summer due to 100 on the ground with direct sunlight hitting it. Never had a problem since getting the cooler.

Seeing Alan’s cord reminds me how delicate the plug on the iPad can be...

Over the years, I have snapped the plug off, broken the wire off and a couple of other ways of disabling the charger...

Consider having a second wire in the event you save the iPad by grabbing its wire...in flight...

PP thoughts only. Not a destructive tester of Idevices, usually...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Somewhat a different topic, but I would like to be able to power my B-cool "A/C" simultaneously, which would require another 12volt outlet on its own 10-15A breaker. Any idea of the process for this, would it be a "minor mod"? I looked at the electrical diagram, but I don't read that language so I have no idea how simple adding a TSO'd 12volt is or isn't.

JOnathen,

Great question... depends on where your battery is..,

If the battery is in the back, a second plug installed near the hat shelf can be done pretty easily by your mechanic... updating the wiring diagram and all the details...

If the battery is in the front, it may be easier to add another socket at the instrument panel...

If you just use a plug in splitter at the existing socket, you may need to check the wire gauge, and CB for proper load handling...

If you have the original cigar lighter in the panel, Expect to replace the socket with a newer traditional socket.  The old 60s standard fails miserably as a power socket... they had no idea we were going to be plugging in iPads and air conditioners in our planes...deriving power from a source of fire...  :)

PP thoughts only, check with your mechanic for details... we discussed this topic back when installing portable ADSB devices were all the rage....

Best regards,

-a-

The best mount I have found is:

Gp Pro back case for Ipad Mini

Go pro mount with a ball to mount into the RAM Mount connector and C-Clamp on the yoke shaft.

Ipad can be easily taken off its mount when entering and exiting plane, and the Ipad is securely mounted on Co-pilot's yoke.

Powered into cigarette lighter.

John Breda

X-Naut iPad Mini cooling mount attached to the yoke.

I had my iPad in a RAM mount on the yoke previously and it overheated just as I was descending into the clag on an approach. I was able to get my back-up iPad out to finish the approach, but it was an uncomfortable minute or two. The X-Naut does a great job for me The iPad never gets more than a little warm to the touch, even in direct sunlight. A little pricey, but it works! I also use the Aukey flush mount USB adapter and 90 degree lightning cord as previously described

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 2

My mini overheated twice in my ram yoke mount. Not too bad considering well over 500hrs with that configuration. But it is a huge inconvenience.

I liked @LANCECASPER magnetic mount so I ordered some. I have the original 201/231 yokes. One happened to have a broken emblem so I didn’t feel to bad about modifying it. I really like how it turned out. The iPad is reasonably firm when on the yoke. If things ever get ugly again the IPad should easily break away and cause minimal harm to me. Portrait or landscape works and can be switched in seconds. If I don’t have my iPad with me it can hold my phone too.  I think the iPad will be less likely to over heat being the majority of the back is exposed to open air.

I think I will be ordering one of those 90 degree lighting cables. That’s about all my setup is missing.

cheers,

Dan

DACA6E1C-9C87-46A1-8F3B-AB934B20BA84.jpeg

19727281-1A78-469E-B289-5672D3B6B38E.jpeg

D9329F02-7BD1-4756-9CA0-3635AFE86892.jpeg

5AE4C0C3-73F0-484D-8B74-3B739B89C896.jpeg

087D3B2A-C231-4E69-9F7E-A39BBB069BD8.jpeg

59A20CFA-C969-47EE-A21F-E05298429738.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fred_2O said:

Like this- a RAM ball mount on the dash, space courtesy of EDM.

03L_Panel.jpg

What Ipad is that, I'm trying to figure out placement of a mini and Air2.  I'm thinking Ipad mini 4 on left yoke in front of yoke mounted clock and then my Air 2... idk yet. Either right Yoke or suction cup mount to windshield or something. I plan to run IFD100 app on one and I flyQ with AHRS on the other, wonder if one would need an active cooler.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, xcrmckenna said:

No problems, and yes on the 2 port usb plug. I use the ifd440 to keep my cell phone charged. The copilot side iPad mount is an inault cooling mount. I had my iPad overheat early last summer due to 100 on the ground with direct sunlight hitting it. Never had a problem since getting the cooler.

Were those mini or air/full size ipads in your picture? I like your setup with 2x yoke mounts.

59 minutes ago, J0nathan225 said:

Were those mini or air/full size ipads in your picture? I like your setup with 2x yoke mounts.

I’m really happy with the set up. I have good visibility on both iPads and the iPad on my yoke doesn’t block any of the instruments, the passenger enjoys looking at foreflight and the mount doesn’t bother them. They are both minis. 

I notice those of you complaining about iPads overheating are all from the north. Or at least north of the Red River... which is north for us Texans. Here in Texas we know to look after our iPads, iPhones, puppy dogs, young children and just about everything else that might overheat on any given day of the year around here. 

I find a small white towel is useful for draping over the iPad if its in direct sunlight for any length of time. It's also useful for moping up things that sweat in direct sunlight as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, J0nathan225 said:

What Ipad is that, I'm trying to figure out placement of a mini and Air2.  I'm thinking Ipad mini 4 on left yoke in front of yoke mounted clock and then my Air 2... idk yet. Either right Yoke or suction cup mount to windshield or something. I plan to run IFD100 app on one and I flyQ with AHRS on the other, wonder if one would need an active cooler.

That is the 9-1/2" version.  I like the big screen.  The single linkage on the ball mount provides a lot of flexibility for orientation (landscape/portrait) or position.   I always check that it doesn't interfere with the co-pilot yoke.

7 minutes ago, John Mininger said:

After many tries, and a lot of extra RAM parts, I've settled on the following:

iPad Mount side.JPG

iPad Mount.JPG

John, 

Is that a mini or full size ipad? I currently only have an air 2, which I like, especially for running split screen AHRS and VFR sectional. I am trying to avoid buying a mini for the yoke if the Air 2 can fit. Planes in annual right now so no way for me to test it though. 

Thanks for the help. 

I think the aviation community has made the owners of Ram rich. I have a pile of Ram hardware (and it sounds like others do as well) from various attempts to find the ideal mounting arrangement.

I also tried the Steelie ball and it certainly was much more streamlined that a multi component Ram setup. The issue I had with it was that my iPad Mini mounted on the yoke would periodically get bumped sideways and I had to straighten it out.

I have recently moved to the Scosche type of mount Lance mentions above. Definitely more stable for the iPad Mini and allowed me to use the iPort charging solution since the metal attachment plate is flat as compared to the Steelie’s raised mount.

I keep the iPhone mounted with a suction mount on the side window. Currently using the Scosche version. I had tried mounting the iPad Mini there but after having suction cup fall off a couple of times in flight, decided a more reliable solution was needed. I like the mygoflight stuff but my CB nature can’t bring myself to try them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1