How do you mount your ipad

I find the yoke mount with my iPad Pro 9” gets a bit in the way of my knees if I need to turn the yoke side to side with my heels on the floor (no brakes!). Going to try and mess around with the mount this weekend to try and get more clearance. Not a big deal in flight when I slide the seat back, but with the seat even in the furthest aft notch it can be annoying on takeoff/landing. I’m 6’2”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

@DanM20C crash? Shoulder harness? Did the ram mount let loose or did you go in for a closer look? 

I'm the guy who had the Carbon Monoxide incident last February.  I did have a shoulder harness on.  I'm assuming I went in for a closer look but I was asleep so I don't really know.  The Ram mount was broken and the iPad was bent slightly in the middle.  It still works though.

Since my accident I am a little wary of mounting things on the yoke or at head level in the panel/widescreen area. Those things can exert a lot of energy in a forced landing.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DanM20C said:

I use a Mini on a RAM mount on the pilot side yoke.  I'm pretty sure it was that combo that broke my jaw and took out my tooth.  Today I learned that I will most likely need one more tooth removed, 5 or 6 root canals, bone grafting, braces, and then implants.  The insurance company is throwing a fit and refusing to cover any of it.  It will probably be 25AMU's by the time its done. 

Throw the iPad away, Install a GTN750 and Velcro a pillow to the yoke.  You will be money ahead :)

Cheers,

Dan

That all sounds pretty awful. :(

How tall are you?  At 6'5" I'm more worried about hitting my head on the ceiling and my knees on the bottom of the panel in a crash.  With my shoulder harness on I don't think I could get my head down to yoke level if I tried.

I have my Samsung S7 with Garmin Pilot Velcro to the pilot sun visor. Works great for internet weather during approach. It is almost like having a HUD.

I also have it Velcro to my car visor. Works great for GPS driving directions and for when on speaker phone.

José

Visor Phone.jpg

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

How tall are you?

I"m just under 6'3".  I always tell people I"m 6'3" but it is really about 2.5" 

2 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

With my shoulder harness on I don't think I could get my head down to yoke level if I tried.

Same for me, but have you ever watched one of those slow motion automotive crash test videos.  Your body can and will move/bend much further than you can on your own.  As will parts of the airplane. 

Cheers,

Dan

1 hour ago, DanM20C said:

Same for me, but have you ever watched one of those slow motion automotive crash test videos.  Your body can and will move/bend much further than you can on your own.  As will parts of the airplane. 

If I was preparing for an off field landing I would tighten the belt a lot more than just flying along. You might have had a little more slack allowing more movement?  Glad you made it down “safely “  

1 hour ago, DanM20C said:

I"m just under 6'3".  I always tell people I"m 6'3" but it is really about 2.5" 

Cheers,

Dan

Absolutely.   In an impact the belts stretch as do your joints and ligaments.   You'll hit stuff that you can't normally reach.

If you pay any attention to auto racing, this is partly why HANS devices (head and neck restraints) of various flavors have become required equipment.

I think in an aircraft crash the shoulder restraint is an attempt at turning what might be fatal injuries into just injuries.   You may still get hurt.   If you're flying around without shoulder restraints, please think about getting them installed.

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MIm20c said:

If I was preparing for an off field landing I would tighten the belt a lot more than just flying along. You might have had a little more slack allowing more movement?  Glad you made it down “safely “  

I usually have everything cinched up fairly tight.  I just loosen up the shoulder harness when I need to reach the fuel valve.  I honestly can't tell you how tight it was during my accident as I wasn't really with it.  I'm guessing it was cinched up tight for take off as that is my normal practice.

Cheers,

Dan 

With my iPad 9.7... I've used the RAM mount and claw with some success on the yoke but keeping it aligned and in place is a challenge. The heat and vibrations continually cause me to readjust it. I am currently using a magnetic mount on the yoke with my iPad... It's not super stable, as it the iPad can be easily knocked of with a knee, although it has yet to come off due to turbulence. One nice ability with the magnetic mount is the ease of picking the iPad off the mount and relocating it or using it in my hands to read, scroll, program navigation updates, or write. I'm also 6'5", and the yoke mount does not impede my visibility on the yoke.

On 1/10/2018 at 9:52 PM, David Herman said:
On 1/10/2018 at 5:12 AM, RLCarter said:

+1 ... iPad mini ... (we carry two minis) 

I used to have the X-Grip mount on my yoke but it looks like something that would impale you on impact. 

I glued some small magnets on the inside of the cap of the center of my yoke and use a Scosche metal stick-on underneath a silicone sleeve on an iPad mini. I notice no interference on the compass.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I glued some small magnets on the inside of the cap of the center of my yoke and use a Scosche metal stick-on underneath a silicone sleeve on an iPad mini. I notice no interference on the compass.

Lance what yokes do you have. How about a picture of the yoke?

26 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Lance what yokes do you have. How about a picture of the yoke?

Here are the yokes that I put on this summer (I traded my 201 style that were painted to Hector for newer style leather covered yokes).

IMG_0013.thumb.jpg.2feed8723e106bf05ec03376b714d1a7.jpg

I JB Welded (epoxy glued) some magnets on the back. They will hold an iPad mini or a iPhone plus phone.

IMG_0014.thumb.jpg.77e79b53e4bfb27d3001a76eab90b421.jpg

Or if you want to skip all of that just stick on a Scosche Magic Mount Magnet to a Garmin Yoke Mount you can use a size bigger iPad(still a flat surface, probably easier on your chest in an impact).

IMG_0015.thumb.jpg.2dfd9fd50ae5d83c942549b05231ab12.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I used to have the X-Grip mount on my yoke but it looks like something that would impale you on impact. 

It was and still is a concern, the mount is just tight enough so that it doesn’t move around but still loose enough to move with little force along with shoulder harness makes the iPad my least concern should things get ugly. 

11 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

It was and still is a concern, the mount is just tight enough so that it doesn’t move around but still loose enough to move with little force along with shoulder harness makes the iPad my least concern should things get ugly. 

Sounds like you have it covered.

It's amazing that in a car accident it isn't usually the impact of the other car that seriously injures or kills people, it's the "second crash" where they impact something in their own vehicle. Even in DanM20C's case his most serious injuries (broken jaw, tooth, etc) didn't come with his airplane's impact with the ground, but came from the "second crash", his impact with what was on the yoke.

On 1/11/2018 at 12:14 PM, David Herman said:

2) since the viewing angle will no longer be adjustable, will I be able to view it at the angle that is now fixed?( I’m 5’8” and sit fairly close.)

If you put the magnet on the Garmin Yoke Mount then you can adjust the angle however you'd like.With the Scosche Magic mount it's not coming off unless you want it off.