How do you mount your ipad

I am 6'5" and 215 and my iPad on the pilot side is mounted on the yoke in a portrait format with a Ram mount. The iPad mini on the co-pilot yoke is mounted in the same manner with a Ram mount. If your pilot seat is adjustable, you should be able to get everything adjusted so it is not blocking any portion of your view.

N5767Z - panel.JPG

• Like 1

Just now, Todd Cullen said:

Oldguy is that a full size iPad?  Looks like a good setup.

Yes, it is. Mini is on the co-pilot (wife's) side.

One final thing - Apple pencil is amazing! So good for copying clearances, weather, etc. on the iPad.

2 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Yes, it is. Mini is on the co-pilot (wife's) side.

One final thing - Apple pencil is amazing! So good for copying clearances, weather, etc. on the iPad.

Can you show the mounting hardware underneath? I have never been able to get that particular Ram mount to be installed right side up unless I take the hardware underneath the yoke. Also, I have been entertaining moving up to the new iPad. I thought the new one is 10.5". Fit looks fine in your picture. Have any examples of the iPen in action? Curious to see how the resolution is. The rubber ball on the old iPad never worked well. 

Generally an iPad Mini fits in the yoke better and a full size iPad fits better somewhere else.

Here is a Mini sitting in the yoke in my M20C. The mount is just a 12" wooden ruler Velcro'ed to the back of the ipad. It sits nicely in the yoke and isn't really even mounted.

IMG_0066.thumb.jpg.fdef5f62e5f940152aa9a2b0356295dd.jpg

Here is the Mini again mounted with a magnetic mount in the center of the yoke in my K 252. With the magnetic mount it goes both horizontal or vertical.

IMG_1248.thumb.jpg.80350d77b2f399d073517c629c75db3b.jpg

IMG_1249.thumb.jpg.c43669b09e0ff0f84dc4018696d336b7.jpg

Then I after mounting an Aspen and other goodies I didn't need the iPad in the yoke and moved it to a Ram mount on the right side panel. This allowed me to move up to a full size iPad. This is a 9.5" iPad Pro.

IMG_2942.jpg.6a54af3b532e563a1a94945b12d555bd.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Can you show the mounting hardware underneath? I have never been able to get that particular Ram mount to be installed right side up unless I take the hardware underneath the yoke. Also, I have been entertaining moving up to the new iPad. I thought the new one is 10.5". Fit looks fine in your picture. Have any examples of the iPen in action? Curious to see how the resolution is. The rubber ball on the old iPad never worked well. 

Don't have pics of the mounting h/w, but I recall using the two piece articulating arm to get it where and how I wanted it.

As for how the Apple pencil works.....

All done with my bare hand on the tablet. And, yes, I do shake that much!

IMG_0080.PNG

IMG_0081.PNG

IMG_0082.PNG

IMG_0083.PNG

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Forgot to answer "new iPad" portion.

Yes, this is prior model. Current iPad had to use the spring-loaded mount that holds the entire iPad and cover since the same mount was not available when I got the new iPad. :( Probably pick one up at Sun-n-Fun this year. :)

2 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Don't have pics of the mounting h/w, but I recall using the two piece articulating arm to get it where and how I wanted it.

As for how the Apple pencil works.....

All done with my bare hand on the tablet. And, yes, I do shake that much!

IMG_0080.PNG

IMG_0081.PNG

IMG_0082.PNG

IMG_0083.PNG

Looks great!! Never liked the way it worked on the old iPad with the rubber headed gizomos.

Just now, Marauder said:

Looks great!! Never liked the way it worked on the old iPad with the rubber headed gizomos.

The nice thing is I can increase the line width in FF to what I want as well as opacity and color. My fingers are not built for using them to write and like you the rubber tipped pens always seemed to be more of a hassle than a help. Plus, anytime my bare skin touched the screen with the rubber tipped things, it would take it as writing. For some reason (Apple magic!!) it knows to ignore any skin touch when I use the pencil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a ton of RAM parts but I upgraded to the 10.5 Pro from the Mini(since I didn't see a reason to get a new but not-updated in a while mini)

I still haven't found a mounting solution I like, need to sit in the plane some more with the parts collection and see if I can find something. Right now it rests mostly on my right leg with my kneeboard on my left. If I'm able to update my panel at some point I may see if I can get a ball mount and arm from the right side.

1 hour ago, Oldguy said:

Forgot to answer "new iPad" portion.

Yes, this is prior model. Current iPad had to use the spring-loaded mount that holds the entire iPad and cover since the same mount was not available when I got the new iPad. :( Probably pick one up at Sun-n-Fun this year. :)

Oldguy...which mounting kit is this?  The one I’m seeing on sportys needs one more arm thingy to get it lower or more adjustable???

Don't have it in front of me and heading out to TPA via commercial in an hour or so. I know it is one with a swivel in the middle of it like a RAP-B-200-2U or RAM-B-201-201U. It needs the extension to "wrap" around the yoke emblem and not just put it in your lap. I can take some pics when I am back Friday, as my plane is in annual, getting a prop IRAN, and then heading to the avionics shop.

I don't know how people can put it on the pilot yoke cause it blocks most of the instruments. I keep mine on the copilot yoke and it's perfect. It only blocks the MP/RPM gauges which I have duplicated on my JPI830 so no problem. I can clearly see it from pilot side without it being in the way. Also it gives the passenger something to look at and play with.

Sorry, I don't know how to move items from one post to another.

If you search "Preferred iPad mounting technique" you will find 3 pages of examples. Multiple pictures are also present that demonstrate different mounts.

TRULEY AMAZING....I think of just a few years ago when our flying was done with reference to several needles and an artificial horizon. Our spatial awareness was literally in your "minds eye". Now look at our panels.....It's like flying by virtual reality. I don't know about the rest of you, but I realllly don't miss my ADF or Loran.

• Like 2

I don't know how people can put it on the pilot yoke cause it blocks most of the instruments. I keep mine on the copilot yoke and it's perfect. It only blocks the MP/RPM gauges which I have duplicated on my JPI830 so no problem. I can clearly see it from pilot side without it being in the way. Also it gives the passenger something to look at and play with.

Tall people don’t have this issue with yoke mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 201er said:

Only thing mine blocks is the boast pump switch and the nav light switch.  The trick is to get the angle just right. I use a ram MC mount, the med length arm, and the ram form fit mini mount.  The arm comes over the top on the right hand side. 

I use a RAM mount on the pilot side yoke.  I made a custom piece out of some scrap wood and attached a RAM ball to the back of it.  I purposely did not center the ball on the back of the wood, but rather offset it a couple inches in one direction.  That allows me to have it offset up/down or left/right depending on which orientation I want for the tablet.   I ran two strips of spiky velcro down the front side of the wood and attached two fussy strips of velcro down the back of my 7" Samsung tablet.  By doing it that way I also have some flexibility about exactly where I locate the tablet on the mount.

I've found that I want the mount oriented with the strips vertically oriented and offset right and the tablet mounted with a landscape orientation.  And I've also found that I like the tablet tilted away from me at about a 30 degree angle.  Keeps it out of my face and also makes it easy to view the instruments over it.

I attach the mount, set the wood with the strips of velcro oriented vertically and tilted away from me.  I then hold the tablet in a landscape orientation where I want it, then simply move it toward the mount until it sticks.

I use a Mini on a RAM mount on the pilot side yoke.  I'm pretty sure it was that combo that broke my jaw and took out my tooth.  Today I learned that I will most likely need one more tooth removed, 5 or 6 root canals, bone grafting, braces, and then implants.  The insurance company is throwing a fit and refusing to cover any of it.  It will probably be 25AMU's by the time its done. 

Throw the iPad away, Install a GTN750 and Velcro a pillow to the yoke.  You will be money ahead :)

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 4
  • Sad 1