The new ,improved Santa Monica airport

11 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Read it an weep, no one in the FAA has any balls to enforce their own regulations- 

https://www.faa.gov/airports/eastern/nyado_bulletin/media/17-004-faa-policy-on-the-non-aeronautical-use-of-airport-hangars.pdf 

Yes, but its all in the last paragraph that responsibility is delegated to the "sponsor",  meaning the city of county to monitor use. Then the only penalty seems to be the last statement - the FAA will no longer approve AIP grant money for more hangar space -- that doesn't even include disapproval for other improvements that don't include hangar space. Not much of a deterrent. But I think we're well past SMO seeking future AIP grant money and the city appears to have no obligation to adhere to these guidelines. 

Sponsors should have a program to monitor use of hangars and take measures to prevent unapproved non-aeronautical use of hangars

- Sponsors should ensure that length of time on a waiting list of those in need for a hangar for aircraft storage is minimized.

- Incorporating provisions in leases to adjust rental rates to FMV for any non-incidental non-aeronautical use of the leased facilities NYADO FY2017-004

- FAA personnel conducting inspections may request a copy of the sponsor’s hangar use program and evidence that the sponsor has limited hangars to aviation use.

The FAA may disapprove an AIP grant for hangar construction if there are existing hangars at the airport being used for non-aeronautical purposes.

On 1/8/2018 at 12:19 PM, Marcopolo said:

They paid how much for the new striping, $3.5m is what I remember reading....I'm in the wrong business!

Ron

More Like $7 Million based on recent reports.  If the city loses the lawsuit they will need to spend it again to bring it back to it's original condition.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone happen to know how the city collects date regarding aircraft that land in order to determine where to send the landing fee bill?  I assume they have some overpaid city worker sitting in an office listening to the tower frequency making a note of tail numbers.  

So my next question is, what do they do if the tower is closed and someone lands without using a full N number, or uses an assigned callsign, etc? @MB65E

More Like $7 Million based on recent reports.  If the city loses the lawsuit they will need to spend it again to bring it back to it's original condition.

It’s not like it’s their money, or there is a consequence for wasting it. Spend away!

8 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Does anyone happen to know how the city collects date regarding aircraft that land in order to determine where to send the landing fee bill?  I assume they have some overpaid city worker sitting in an office listening to the tower frequency making a note of tail numbers.  

So my next question is, what do they do if the tower is closed and someone lands without using a full N number, or uses an assigned callsign, etc? @MB65E

I don't know the answer to the second question, but we landed there a couple of weeks ago and the signs said the fees would be captured and billed by Vector... vector-us.com

10 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Cameras in the touch down zones at both ends, reviewed by airport manangment daily. The landing fees then are managed by a company named Vector. Bills are then sent out to the registered owners of the aircraft. 

-Matt

• Like 1

Vector-us does the billing for KBED outside of Boston.   They don’t miss a thing.  I’ve left before the tower was open and they still found me and included the special fine/fee for the early morning departure.

Bradb

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, MB65E said:

Cameras in the touch down zones at both ends, reviewed by airport manangment daily. The landing fees then are managed by a company named Vector. Bills are then sent out to the registered owners of the aircraft. 

-Matt

Ain't technology just great 

On 1/8/2018 at 4:14 PM, MB65E said:

The Justice Department will most likely favor the FAA on the law suit. It sucks. 

-Matt

I would be nice if the FAA would enforce the FBO restrictions and rights from the Civil Aviation Act of 1938: https://www.faa.gov/airports/resources/publications/orders/compliance_5190_6/media/5190_6b_chap8.pdf 

* Right to self-service and self-fuel

* Cannot grant exclusive rights to a management company (no single FBO unless the land on the field cannot physically support more than one FBO)

"a. Aeronautical Activities Provided by the Airport Sponsor (Proprietary Exclusive Right). The owner of a public use airport may elect to provide any or all of the aeronautical services needed by the public at the airport. The airport sponsor may exercise, but not grant, an exclusive right to provide aeronautical services to the public. If the airport sponsor opts to provide an aeronautical service exclusively, it must use its own employees and resources. Thus, an airport owner or sponsor cannot exercise a proprietary exclusive right through a management contract. Note that while the policy technically extends to private owners of public use airports, private owners may not have the same immunity from antitrust laws as public agencies. A proprietary exclusive can be exercised only for fuel sales and support services, not for use of the landing area itself"

6 hours ago, FloridaMan said:

a. Aeronautical Activities Provided by the Airport Sponsor (Proprietary Exclusive Right). The owner of a public use airport may elect to provide any or all of the aeronautical services needed by the public at the airport. The airport sponsor may exercise, but not grant, an exclusive right to provide aeronautical services to the public. If the airport sponsor opts to provide an aeronautical service exclusively, it must use its own employees and resources. Thus, an airport owner or sponsor cannot exercise a proprietary exclusive right through a management contract. Note that while the policy technically extends to private owners of public use airports, private owners may not have the same immunity from antitrust laws as public agencies. A proprietary exclusive can be exercised only for fuel sales and support services, not for use of the landing area itself"

All of the airports around Las Vegas!

You may recall during Santa Monica elections Nov. 4, 2014, voter turn out was extremely low.  On the ballot was Measure D.  Measure D, had it passed, would have required a citizen vote to change the airport land usage from an airport to other types of development.  Again, the measure did not pass, giving the Santa Monica Airport Commission and the Santa Monica City Council a huge green light to proceed with the end game of hopefully closing the airport.    I was there, at one voter polling location, handing out pamphlets in favor of Measure D.  It was a very sad loss! 

Even more sad was the completely unexpected, and subsequent FAA decision in handing the airport to the  City government on a silver platter.  A very dangerous precedent indeed!!

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:
You may recall during Santa Monica elections Nov. 4, 2014, voter turn out was extremely low.  On the ballot was Measure D.  Measure D, had it passed, would have required a citizen vote to change the airport land usage from an airport to other types of development.  Again, the measure did not pass, giving the Santa Monica Airport Commission and the Santa Monica City Council a huge green light to proceed with the end game of hopefully closing the airport.    I was there, at one voter polling location, handing out pamphlets in favor of Measure D.  It was a very sad loss! 

Even more sad was the completely unexpected, and subsequent FAA decision in handing the airport to the  City government on a silver platter.  A very dangerous precedent indeed!!

Someone most likely got paid a lot for a house, or got a great deal on one...

25 minutes ago, FloridaMan said:

Someone most likely got paid a lot for a house, or got a great deal on one...

I’m not trying to make this a political post, I’m really not, but I think by nature of the topic it already is a little political to a degree.  But I think the Westside (West LA, Santa Monica for the unfamiliar) was given this huge gift by the previous administration in thanks for the numerous political donations and contributions on the many visits the POTUS made between 2009 and 2016.  I mean he really treated the  Westside as his very own ATM.  The timing of the announcement in January 2017 really made this look like a “Thanks guys” on his way out the door.