The new ,improved Santa Monica airport

I was looking at before and after photos of Santa Monica airport...it appears the 5000 ft runway is still there ,it just has been Re striped to 3500.So if you are used to the visual cues and you accidentally come in hot...what violation is possible if you land short or over run into the striped area at the end?Is this a common violation?Any of you landed at the new runway?Did it seem strange to have such long displaced area.?

Based here. It will be a violation. They also have given several phone numbers that have turned off early. You must use the taxi way exits now. One 182 did use the overrun area at the end of the runway. There is a 1mo grace period for pilots that run past the 3500ft.  Violations start on Jan 23. 

We just scrubbed a flight due to wet runway performance...

-Matt

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Danb said:

What's the sense to this?

They are trying to limit jet traffic so they can eventually close the airport down and build more stupid houses. All those loud jets taking off our disturbing the neighbors, because we all know those people were there long before the airport was built... :blink:

As a guy who frequented SMO as a jet pilot, I'm sorry our customers have lost the convenience, but as a jet pilot....  YIPPEE!

The place was an awful mix of fast/slow traffic...and most of the time too much of it.  We often got RA's and many jet operators got expensive noise violations.  The city did everything possible to hinder operations, charged high fees and made us feel unwelcome.

Good bye.  <_<

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB65E said:

Based here. It will be a violation. They also have given several phone numbers that have turned off early. You must use the taxi way exits now. One 182 did use the overrun area at the end of the runway. There is a 1mo grace period for pilots that run past the 3500ft.  Violations start on Jan 23. 

We just scrubbed a flight due to wet runway performance...

-Matt

I was afraid of that ..go into the yellow stripes ,get charged with careless,reckless operation!

Hello Fellow Mooniacs,

As many of you know I am working tirelessly at NBAA to make sure that this shortening is a temporary one. Just to clarify a few of the items being discussed here:

• The runway is now a hard 3,500 feet with raised threshold lights at each end. While the pavement is still there, rolling beyond the threshold would be considered a runway excursion and will likely cause some damage to your landing gear. Here is the City's info graphic depicting the changes. Note the new taxiways to be used as the only new exit points off the runway.New%20SMO%20Runway.jpg
  • SMO is a case of national importance - please consider supporting the Santa Monica Airport Association (SMAA), the organization working hard to fight the anti-airport groups and the City of Santa Monica, promote the airport and preserve its future. Keep in mind that the settlement agreement and the consent decree only say that after 2028 the fate of the airport is in the hands of City Council. SMAA is working hard to change its composition and to make sure that they vote with the benefit to all the citizens of the city in mind, not just the select local minority. Please visit www.santamonicaairport.info. They have a "National Supporter" category.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

--Alex

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Fortunately, it looks like the RNAV 21 approach is back up and running, I noticed it was NOTAM'd out for a while with the construction (or destruction).

For single-engine ops, I thought SMO was fine.  Cost was about $20 a night for tiedowns/landing fee, which is actually what I have to pay for car parking at PDX if I flew commercial. 100LL was about $5.50 gal last summer.  For sure, flying into TOA (Torrance) is cheaper, but you have to overfly the LAX Class B surface area to get there.

Would hate to see it go away since it has so much history and is near our friends/family

• Like 1

I was based there in the 70s when this all started. We called it Moscow West then.

They put up 20ft tall letters on the berm facing the landing aircraft "NO JETS" They lost that one a long time ago. This is nothing new. The city has been after it for decades. 

Any of the nice big jet hangars going for cheap now?  :-) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2018 at 3:57 PM, cliffy said:

I was based there in the 70s when this all started. We called it Moscow West then.

They put up 20ft tall letters on the berm facing the landing aircraft "NO JETS" They lost that one a long time ago. This is nothing new. The city has been after it for decades. 

Any of the nice big jet hangars going for cheap now?  :-) 

Nope, they rented the 2 big ones to Snapchat for storage and office space!!

Im trying to find a hangar with a 21ft door and  the two of the three are rented to snap. The third is another company without aircraft!

That said, the rent will be $20k plus a month!! And no subleases!!

-Matt

This is really sad...it's a perfect example how a vocal politically connected minority can be voted into office and exercise an agenda that the majority have no real opinion on...my last ride with a cab driver in Santa Monica ...he stated he could care less what happens to airport!

13 hours ago, thinwing said:

This is really sad...it's a perfect example how a vocal politically connected minority can be voted into office and exercise an agenda that the majority have no real opinion on...my last ride with a cab driver in Santa Monica ...he stated he could care less what happens to airport!

This describes the majority of politics everywhere, all the time.

13 hours ago, thinwing said:

Be thankful he even knew the city has an airport.

Clarence