low priced flying m20c

32 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

1963 Mooney C-FESN is still missing.   Departed B.C. on November 25.   

A fellow who I knew earlier in my career was missing in the same area of BC for 12 years before the crash site was found.  The west is vast and sparsely populated.

Clarence

To recap: the options presented here for this presently flying bird, albeit of questionable reliability, have been:

(1) Scrap it immediately! Where's my power saw?

(2) Crash in the vast Alaskan wilderness and get devoured alive by a grizzly, with no one finding your wreckage and picked over bones for at least a decade.

Surely there's got to be a middle ground here :lol:

Assuming the air frame is solid, I hope someone picks it up cheap enough locally to make it appealing to get it back in shape, even though the scrap value may be greater.

Do we have any Alaska members?   

• Like 1

Ferry pilots exist. I’ve met some that had huuuuge balls. Like flying a beat up Saratoga from Australia going West thru Asia back to the US of A. I had a good hour chat with him. The last thing this guy worried about was going down. He just wanted to get home! Dump the risk on a 25-yo aspiring pilot (Raptor?....just kiddin).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Ferry pilots exist. I’ve met some that had huuuuge balls. Like flying a beat up Saratoga from Australia going West thru Asia back to the US of A. I had a good hour chat with him. The last thing this guy worried about was going down. He just wanted to get home! Dump the risk on a 25-yo aspiring pilot (Raptor?....just kiddin).

Yup.  Just need a portable GPS,  a PLB, some outdoor survival gear, and a trusty sidearm selected off this list:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2012/12/best-grizzly-guns-9-great-guns-brown-bear-hunting-and-defense

I'm 100%behind this expedition, from the comfort of my living room ;).  May wanna wait 'till summer though.  

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I'd do it. Just have the correct survival gear and carry a spot locator, portable aircraft radio and bear gun.

The plane only has to keep running for about 8 hours. That's not much to ask.

I’ll go with you! I’ve got the gun and radio.

Edited by ragedracer1977
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I'd do it. Just have the correct survival gear and carry a spot locator, portable aircraft radio and bear gun.

The plane only has to keep running for about 8 hours. That's not much to ask.

Well,, not all at once, but 4 legs of 3:30 each will get to Seattle,,  about 12 hours overall,,,   headwinds!

see this,,    https://skyvector.com//

Edited by mpg

56 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

DXB you gave me the itch to buy a Marlin 1895 45-70. That thing is bitchn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny that you mention that.  Before DXB posted I had already looked over that list (because of this thread). I have tons of noise makers (race, collectors, stamps, hunting, etc) but I don’t have a good compact rifle/buckshot setup for my necessary stops in Canada. I NEED to rectify that soon. 

Off topic for someone wanting to sell their plane, but... since you all started :-) ... the ability to have gun while flying over Canada toward the far reaches of Alaska has been on my mind. DBX, your mention of a 45-70 had me looking as Canadian laws and it looks like this might be a good option.  Thx :-)

Edited by smlynarczyk

10 hours ago, smlynarczyk said:

Off topic for someone wanting to sell their plane, but... since you all started :-) ... the ability to have gun while flying over Canada toward the far reaches of Alaska has been on my mind. DBX, your mention of a 45-70 had me looking as Canadian laws and it looks like this might be a good option.  Thx :-)

what about a lever gun in something like S&W 500 mag?

440gr of get away from me

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001467040/hsm-bear-ammunition-500-s-and-w-magnum-440-grain-lead-wide-flat-nose-gas-check-box-of-20

I carry a Remington 870 with an 18.5" rifled slug barrel and folding stock with a 6 round extended magazine whenever I travel over terrain that houses the white bear and the brown bear (polar bears and grizzlies) for just such circumstances.  If I had known before hand, I might have acquired a Mare's Leg in .44 Magnum.  Those loads are supposed to be good for bear as well and it fits better in the Mooney than my Remington.

There is a Mooney driver who travels (traveled?) in a Bravo between Gander to Edmonton and he also has something similar.  Most of his flight segments are over polar bear country.

One caveat, carrying in Canada requires a permit.

10 minutes ago, peevee said:

I would try and plan the trip to avoid a stop in canada to avoid the complications, if at all possible.

That would be a huge ask in a C.

I wouldn't have a problem flying this C back to the lower 48. But I'd certainly do it by overflying the Alcan highway and then following the trench south through BC to WA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

That would be a huge ask in a C.

I wouldn't have a problem flying this C back to the lower 48. But I'd certainly do it by overflying the Alcan highway and then following the trench south through BC to WA.

I'm just about dumb enough to try it too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

I little preparation can go along way. I don't want to disparage these very unfortunate people, but this would not dissuade me from flying a Mooney between the lower 48 and Alaska. And I intend to fly my Mooney along that route this summer.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I little preparation can go along way. I don't want to disparage these very unfortunate people, but this would not dissuade me from flying a Mooney between the lower 48 and Alaska. And I intend to fly my Mooney along that route this summer.

I agree and I've been following that accident. If they do find that downed Mooney below the peak of Cougar Mtn which is < 5500' and only less than a mile from a major highway we can't blame their fate on the desolation of the wilderness even if they did succumb to the elements after a crash. More likely it'll be a CFIT due flying VFR into IMC. Even if it was an engine out you'd think they could make the highway easily unless they were on top or above a mtn Obscuration; (which I thought I recall as not legal for a VFR Canadian pilot). But I couldn't agree more with @Jim Peace  earlier comments on the insanity of flying an aircraft that has been out of annual for 4 years on such an adventure just because someone signs off on a ferry permit. I really doubt the FAA would ever sign off on such a ferry permit when their are ample facilities to annual the bird where it sits now at Merril Fld; especially since it would be merely for some new owners convenience - as if the FAA cares about that. I'd be surprised too if Canada would allow an international flight on a ferry permit as well. Personally I also doubt a ferry pilot would touch the plane till it had a fresh and thorough annual.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

HUH? Ferry pilots?  Back decades ago when Cessnas were ferried across to HI from Calif they'd leave as flights of 4 with one having long range nav and another having portable HF 2 with only VHF and they'd fly loose formation all the way.  Ferry pilots are another breed.

I got asked once to ferry a Citation from KCMA to HI after they tried twice and had to turn back because the ferry fuel system didn't work. Turned it down (big money then). 

Hope the OP is able to sell it. 

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, DXB said:

To recap: the options presented here for this presently flying bird, albeit of questionable reliability, have been:

(1) Scrap it immediately! Where's my power saw?

(2) Crash in the vast Alaskan wilderness and get devoured alive by a grizzly, with no one finding your wreckage and picked over bones for at least a decade.

Surely there's got to be a middle ground here :lol:

I might have missed the middle ground of putting it on a Semi Truck? Of course the price has to be right!

• Like 2