Identify this Mooney?

Found this picture over on Reddit.  We’re all trying to figure out what model it is.  The mixtures control is at the top of the panel in the middle, the fuel gauge (appears to be just one) only says main.  I’ve never seen a panel like it, but it sure appears to be a Mooney.

C49FC740-3822-485B-9048-C09F1D3C8FD1.jpeg

Based on the shotgun panel and split windshield, I'd guess A or early B.

But I've never seen a Mooney with the key in the middle like that . . . Looks like the mixture was moved for some reason, there's a hole between throttle and prop.

Wait, didn't early Mooneys have Prop in the middle and Mixture to the right? Now I'm not so sure that this is a Mooney . . . .

45 minutes ago, Hank said:

Based on the shotgun panel and split windshield, I'd guess A or early B.

But I've never seen a Mooney with the key in the middle like that . . . Looks like the mixture was moved for some reason, there's a hole between throttle and prop.

Wait, didn't early Mooneys have Prop in the middle and Mixture to the right? Now I'm not so sure that this is a Mooney . . . .

I think the hole in the middle is a cigarette lighter

Summary...

1) Aged Mooney with some updates...

2) Missing prop control... says M20D...

3) Missing glare shield... makes it look less recognizable...

4) Brand new looking, sort of recent ADF... probably not original

5) Old style engine instruments came before the six pack block of Garwin instruments...

6) split windshield with the tube cover, probably older than 1965...

7) the center stack is not original at all...

8) the audio panel is very updated...

9) panel mounted clock, 65 and older were mechanical wind up on the yoke.

10) Attitude indicator very modern.  TC also an upgrade over the TnB...

Stuff I think I see in the pic...

best rgerads,

-a-

Brice,

Did you have a small diameter Turn and Bank indicator?

my 65C had one roughly where this picture is showing the small clock.

A large diameter Turn Coodinator would be a much nicer back up Instrument...  TnBs are very jumpy in rough air.  Hard to fly partial panel with...  that kind of thing...

Best regards,

-a-

11 minutes ago, pmccand said:

It's a 1961 M20B...  100% EXACTLY the same as mine... mixture control, prop, throttle, cig lighter...  EVERYTHING is the same (with a few expected updates in radios and digi stuff) and YES, it's a Mooney!!!

Looks like it! Found some more panel shots of 61 B here:  http://moonjetgroup.com/product/vintage-mooney/

• Like 1

The clouds in the sun visors don't match the clouds over the mountains. The sky above the right visor doesn't match the sky below the right visor. There is a stripe along the right of the windscreen that matches the sky above the visor. The view out the window has the sun to the left. The cockpit has the sun off to the right. The altimeter shows that they are at 1100 feet and descending. I've never seen any mountains that looked like that from 1100 feet!

Other than that they did a good job of pasting in the image.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Found this picture over on Reddit.  We’re all trying to figure out what model it is.  The mixtures control is at the top of the panel in the middle, the fuel gauge (appears to be just one) only says main.  I’ve never seen a panel like it, but it sure appears to be a Mooney.

C49FC740-3822-485B-9048-C09F1D3C8FD1.jpeg

The red looks like Dave Morris's A model.

20 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Looks like it! Found some more panel shots of 61 B here:  http://moonjetgroup.com/product/vintage-mooney/

It must be awkward to have a hand on the starter in that location plus the throttle at the same time. 

In the referenced link, there is a primer where the mixture "should" be  and not the cigarette lighter.  Was that ever used in the factory on carb'd Mooneys or was it an add on?  If factory, why did they do away with it on all subsequent planes?

Also did anyone explain the single "Main" fuel guage?  That one makes zero sense to me but it's in multiple pix.

The A and B models are exactly the same.  Only difference is wood wing replaced with metal wing and the wood tail.  I can tell you the panel shown above is a B model.  The A model would have 2 fuel gauges.  The main fuel gauge has a right and left switch that needs to be switched to show the fuel amount in either wing tank.  The A model has a seperate fuel gauge for the Aux. tank under the rear seat.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, kerry said:

The A and B models are exactly the same.  Only difference is wood wing replaced with metal wing and the wood tail.  I can tell you the panel shown above is a B model.  The A model would have 2 fuel gauges.  The main fuel gauge has a right and left switch that needs to be switched to show the fuel amount in either wing tank.  The A model has a seperate fuel gauge for the Aux. tank under the rear seat.

There's a '57 A model at my home field.   It's a wood wing plane with fabric covered flaps and ailerons.  It's actually in pretty good shape.  The tail has been replaced with metal.