Rosen Visors G1000/DX Aircraft

exM20K

A non-Mooney-sized service person broke my pilot side visor.  I find both the visor and the power chart useless, so rather than replace with an expensive Mooney part, I'm considring an expensive after-market Rosen system.  I did search the archives, and can't find the answers to these questions:

1. Do the Rosen visors cover the overhead lighting switches?
  2. Do the visors interfere with the cabin door?
  3. Does their size/bulk impinge on interior space? 
  4. Any pictures of a G1000/DX installation available?  None found via google image search.

Thanks in advance.

-dan

Last I checked, there were no Rosen visors for the G1000 or DX planes. I inquired again with them at Sun-n-Fun this year and there were none available. If they have them listed now I would definitely be interested. The stock visors are useless.

I have Rosen visors in my Bravo, they do interfere with the overhead switches, the copilots have to be moved a little for door movement they don't impinge the space in my opinion. There usefulness outweighs the size issues.

• Like 1

We have them in our J Model and love them. Got them at Oshkosh after being beat up by the sun due to the small factory visors. Rosen's are bigger and do take up a little more room in our cabin but its well worth the trade off to me. I no longer get sunburned on one side of my face.

• 3 weeks later...

I have Rosens in my J as well. Really like them as far as functionality but my only complaints are 1. The co-pilot visor sometimes get hit when getting in and out so I push in as far as it will go but it still sticks out a few inches. 2. When used to block sunlight from the side window the visor loosens too much so I just keep one of those short 3" phillips head screwdrivers in my side storage pocket to tighten it up. These are obviously small gripes and overall I'm very happy with them; I wouldn't go back to factory visors.

5 hours ago, exM20K said:

I'll get some pictures up once I have the plane back.  The rosen visors do work in the Acclaim.  some maneuvering is required to clear the wet compass, but it's no big deal.  Glad to have added them.

I’d like to see those pics please. I loved the Rosens in my J but have hesitated to add them to my Ovation. Perhaps this could be my Sun-n-Fun purchase for the year.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Piloto said:

For $3.99 you can get a nice baseball cap of your favorite team that will block the sun in all directions.;)

José 

LOL.  The shop broke the factory unit, and two replacement Rosen's are less expensive that one puny factory visor.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2018 at 3:23 PM, exM20K said:

LOL.  The shop broke the factory unit, and two replacement Rosen's are less expensive that one puny factory visor.

That doesn't surprise me one bit.  About 5 years ago, a shop doing some work broke my copilot side visor, and although they paid to have the factory one replaced, it was around $250 if I recollect.  I'll start investigating the Rosen option...or a nice baseball cap.

This has worked well for me: http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/slap-on-sun-visor-extra-large.html

I also have some small expandable (spring-loaded/folded) automotive windshield shades they gave away a while back at Braums; they are similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Basix-Magic-Shade-Jumbo-Styles/dp/B015GC1KDW/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B015GC1KDW&pd_rd_r=690DRNCRYXCNY0J2W0GQ&pd_rd_w=s5ICl&pd_rd_wg=L1Hpl&psc=1&refRID=690DRNCRYXCNY0J2W0GQ. 

They fold nicely for storage, and when flying head-on into the setting sun (under IFR of course), they'll prevent blindness nicely; also work well on the ground / ramp.

On 3/9/2018 at 12:58 PM, Piloto said:

For $3.99 you can get a nice baseball cap of your favorite team that will block the sun in all directions.;)

José 

Doesn't work for me.  The cap lifts the Bose A20 earmuffs just enough that I don't get a good sound seal, and the noise cancelling doesn't work right.  I would have to install a mod, like Clarity Alofts or something, for the ball cap STC to be applicable in my plane.

I put the Rosen visors in my F which has essentially an Ovation panel with a flat card compass on the post.  I store the Rosen visors against the ceiling.  so when not in use or at night they do not interfere with the ceiling switches (again configures like the Ovation).

I thought of trimming the inboard edge to clear the compass, however I decided to wait a bit more as I simply swing the visor back so it is along the longitudinal axis of the plane and the the inboard edge clears the compass.

Generally the Rosens are much better than the original Mooney visors.

John