Considering a Mooney...

I noticed you have the missile button on the throttle. I thought only early F's had that. I have one of the last 76 F's and don't have the ability to launch missiles. 

-Robert

Indeed it is for weapons deployment. Not missiles, rather machine guns.

10d20491de7bca10b5827fef06609145.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

26 minutes ago, Marauder said:

26 minutes ago, Marauder said:

And oh, the 75s are the only ones I know that had this. The 76 models I believe came with a Klixon panel mounted switch for the landing light.

That makes sense. I wonder what prompted Mooney to add the button there. Was it like being able to flash someone your high beams? Do you find yourself flashing lights at people while in the pattern?

-Robert

Thanks, Now to find a buyer for it, He will need to appreciate the improvements.  This is a higher priced F, but has so many improvements.  The cost of the improvements is greater then the sale price.  I am only selling so that I can retire.  Can't keep the plane and retire, I have been thru the numbers many times.

6 hours ago, Kris_Adams said:

you did this panel, interior, and glass for $20k?  you must have some amazing connections!  Looks amazing!

I produced the interior myself.   One of these days I’ll get some quality photos and post them for those interested.   

Yea, I got a good deal on the recent panel work. The shop quoted $9k for the GTN and $2k to install it for example.  The total bill was $21k, but that includes about $1k for putting in the strikefinder (which I was going to do on my own) and adding a radio master switch, and a couple other things that were not essential to the install of the avionics.  I supplied the aluminum for the panel cut..    I removed and reinstalled the interior.   Things like that helped.  

• Like 1

That makes sense. I wonder what prompted Mooney to add the button there. Was it like being able to flash someone your high beams? Do you find yourself flashing lights at people while in the pattern?

-Robert

Sort of. The flash from the machine guns does catch their attention.

Guest Spike Kavalench

Yeah I thiught 20k for those upgrades was a little underestimated, but if whoever did it wants to do another one for that price, send them my way! I just put some money down on an old M20B. It needs one of those upgrades.

E7B8A7DC-916B-41CD-A8F3-12DF67E3FC13.jpeg

Edited by Spike Kavalench
Editorial change

Guest Spike Kavalench

Thanks, I can’t wait ti try it, it’s going in the shop this week for a pre-buy inspection/annual and acceptance test flight. Saw some great rough strip landings on youtube (piperpainter videos) of a C model going into some crazy places I thought only Supercubs would land at!  Couuld these be the most versatile airplanes on the planet!?!

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

Nice B, Spike.

I like the turbo knob with that...

Best regards,

-a-

Don’t start and take off with the wastegate closed, it gets expensive really fast.

Clarence

On 1/7/2018 at 9:01 AM, Browncbr1 said:

IMHO, the F is the best budget CC machine if you have a family of 4 and will keep the back seats full most trips.   I went for the 67 model for the reliable Johnson bar manual gear.   I believed there are few Fs on the market because owners keep them due to the generally better useful load and nearly as good speed as a J which may cost double an F.     A typical oem J is generally 10kts faster than an oem F, but has 100lbs or more less useful load.  Some F owners with cowl and windscreen mods see speeds similar to Js.    If you won’t have the back seat fill with people most of the time, I’d go for an E model, which is a little faster..

For ADs, the oem  prop hub requires an inspection, but if it has the B hub or top prop or other, then no issue.  All the other ADs are simple check this, check that.  Mainly just check everything for corrosion.   You’ll want to do some of the SBs though, namely rear spar inspection and shoulder harnesses.  

I spent $42k and got a clean oem 67F with ~400smoh and 162snew top prop and clean, hangar kept paint.   It looked like the attached.   After spending some time, sweat, and about $20k, It has a brand new custom interior and nice glass panel.  Still a few things to do, but very capable 144-147ktas @ gross on 8.5gph (1044.7 useful load).    A J that is timed and equipped like this will probably be over $100k.   

Good luck!  Go mooney!

352A7199-7D14-4FE4-B82D-A4436ED5F42C.jpeg

4AE334D3-5EAE-414E-AB19-61168FA76EAF.jpeg

C5346B8E-6BF6-43B0-8E3A-00361805446D.jpeg

4C0B2C8C-6332-47F8-AF45-90517A16A7C2.jpeg

I agree with what he said. If you could easily afford a J you probably wouldn't be asking about the earlier models. I'm happy with my E but only once did I need to put anyone in the back seat and I have short legs so no problem. If I were regularly flying two in the back I would start looking for an older F and I'd be happy with the older gauges. How much money have you got? No matter the answer we can help you spend it. I got my 4 years ago for 35 k$ and I'm having a blast. Spent about 3.5 k$/year on annuals, fixing squawks, and upgrading to a better engine monitor. The older M20 models aren't bad x-country machines. They're just not as good as a more recent J. They all beat a Cherokee so you're sure to be happy.

On 1/9/2018 at 4:31 PM, N803RM said:

Thanks, Now to find a buyer for it, He will need to appreciate the improvements.  This is a higher priced F, but has so many improvements.  The cost of the improvements is greater then the sale price.  I am only selling so that I can retire.  Can't keep the plane and retire, I have been thru the numbers many times.

Most informed buyers know that. It's always better to buy a nicer equipped plane vs paying 100% of the upgrades yourself. 

12 minutes ago, rbridges said:

Most informed buyers know that. It's always better to buy a nicer equipped plane vs paying 100% of the upgrades yourself. 

Definition of Catch 22...  Becoming an informed buyer requires buying an airplane first.... or reading a lot of MS... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Definition of Catch 22...  Becoming an informed buyer requires buying an airplane first.... or reading a lot of MS... :)

Reading a lot of MS is a given :)

But the other is still valid. So do what @carusoam and I both did. Start with a starter airplane. An M20C is a great option. Get something that won't brake the bank if it brakes. Then once you've worked out this airplane ownership thing... get what you really want. That might be an Ovation... or a 252.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Reading a lot of MS is a given :)

But the other is still valid. So do what @carusoam and I both did. Start with a starter airplane. An M20C is a great option. Get something that won't brake the bank if it brakes. Then once you've worked out this airplane ownership thing... get what you really want. That might be an Ovation... or a 252.

Or you get the C, then fly it awhile and fall in love, then start thinking "I would pay how much more to go how much faster?" Then you look at your typical cross country of 3-600nm and realize that the C is a great plane and does everything you want. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Start with a starter airplane. An M20C is a great option.

For some of us, a C is a great option for a starter plane, for a keeper plane, and ultimately a retirement plane. So far, my C and I are on Step 2 of tbis progression. Sounds like Richard the Writer is, too!  :)

• Like 3

I'm in complete agreement with both @Hank and @Skates97. The M20C is, by many measures and for many different missions, the best plane in the sky. 

But what I was trying to say is that if one is thinking of going deep with a six figure airplane purchase, but is afraid one doesn't know enough about airplane ownership to make a good decision, maybe start with a bit less of a financial commitment first and see how it works out. Of course you might find the C is the perfect forever airplane.

I bought my C as a rank newbie not even knowing the questions to ask, much less any answers. But there wasn't any way it could hurt me financially. After learning the ropes a bit, I felt knowledgeable enough to make a larger commitment. And I can't really say I miss the C. The 252 is a nice airplane and still manageable for me. I believe it's my forever airplane. I just don't see myself making the even larger commitment to be in a Bravo or Acclaim.

• Like 1