Pilot's Window Question - I'm bored...

All,

So as you will probably pick up, I am sitting in a hotel room on my way in country and I'm bored.  So, I do what every pilot geek does, flip through my K Model  POH that I brought with me.

I'm reading Airspeed Limitations and ran across a seemingly somewhat insignificant limitation that my curiosity got the best of me. So what better to do than to pose it to my MS brotheren.

My POH says the Max Pilot Window Open Speed is 130 kts/150cas.   The Never Exceed Speed is 132/152.   That little window is only 4in x 5in.  If I happen to open it faster than that will my plane pressurize and blow the tail cone off my plane or what ?  Ha ha    Does anyone have any odd experiences with this window at speed or maybe insight on this limitation?

More of a curious question but like I said, I'm bored.

I always thought that the momentary pressure differential would exert a suction force on the fuel knob and pull you involuntarily into a LOP scenario!

:D

In reality, my guess is it has something to do with the pressure sensitive instruments in the cockpit and maybe would cause them to either malfunction or at least give erroneous output. But it is a fun thing to contemplate.

• Haha 1

The faster you go the more force tries to close it or hold it closed. At lower speeds you push the window closed and it closes. At higher speeds it tries to slam closed. At 180 KIAS it may slam closed hard enough to shatter the pilot window.  Or smash any finger in its way. Just a theory. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

The faster you go the more force tries to close it or hold it closed. At lower speeds you push the window closed and it closes. At higher speeds it tries to slam closed. At 180 KIAS it may slam closed hard enough to shatter the pilot window.  Or smash any finger in its way. Just a theory. 

I've heard of the small window flap breaking as it slams shut with the added suction of high speed.

Two things you can do, but don't want to do at speed...

let the little window flop closed and drop the gear...

Things happen surprisingly quickly with lots of force under these conditions.

Lots of air trying to escape the cabin...

Lots of air pushing on the gear doors...

Things that don't get much coverage in the old POH.

Welcome back in Country!  :)

Go Fly,

-a-

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TargetDriver said:

My POH says the Max Pilot Window Open Speed is 130 kts/150cas.   The Never Exceed Speed is 132/152.   That little window is only 4in x 5in.  If I happen to open it faster than that will my plane pressurize and blow the tail cone off my plane or what ?  Ha ha    Does anyone have any odd experiences with this window at speed or maybe insight on this limitation More of a curious question but like I said, I'm bored.

I've been flying a friend's Cessna P210 lately. In reading the POH I noticed the window opening speed is redline. The window structure is very different and it opens very differently than a typical GA airplane. Of course I have to assume if you're opening the window in flight you're not pressurized . . . or you're not gonna be :wacko:

Guys,  All very good explanations for sure !   Hey Jim ... I too had thought about the vacuum maybe affecting the instruments like you said, as an Alt Static source issue maybe but wasn't sure.

The vacuum sucking the window shut fast enough to break the pilots window...that could be stupid interesting in hurry !  I know in my K, that event would surely ruin the new upholstery that's being done now, while I'm doing my last 9 weeks deployed. HA   

I normally close my pilots window as the last thing before taxiing onto the runway to depart so have never tried closing it in flight really.   I did have a right side passenger door pop open unlatched one time in a Cessna 172 just after breaking ground.  I was by myself and in retrospect, never actually checked the door for solid latching because I didn't go in that side. Just assumed it was locked from sitting on the ramp.   The noise that made even with a headset on almost ruined the upholstery! ha 

Good to know about that much force being on the window and to completely hold onto it to close. 

23 hours ago, Hank said:

Few men have hair long enough to reach out the window while sitting up in the seat. Many women do.

True. I think Dave Morris keeps his hair in a pony tail...must be for this reason :P

Hey all. Thanks for the replies... still laughing at some of them!  Back deployed now and have internet again so I'm MS'n again.

On 1/7/2018 at 11:43 PM, N601RX said:

It will cause a change in cabin pressure. I opened mine one day in level flight to take a better picture and it resulted in the Brittain Altitude Hold applying a full down elevator about 3 seconds later. 

Note to self... turn autopilot off before opening window to take picture !!!   That had to be an upholstery repair job??   Ha

On 1/9/2018 at 3:43 AM, thinwing said:

Had a friend try to deliver dear departed ashes of the deceased over the Sierra Nevada using a Rube Goldberg pvc/ funnel device to stick out pilots storm window while in cruise flight.He came back looking like a ghost..makeup and all!

Thinwing... Sac??  My planes at L36 !  Some of those Sierra Nevada mtns are right behind my house (well, sortof)