Interior restoration

chan65

Would love to get some feedback on complete interior kits for MJ201 1979

Id like to have some one do it in my hangar as opposed to flying it to a shop, any thought either way, and any referrals on who sell the best complete interior upgrade kits ?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Danb said:

The marauder just had his done in his hanger, he's going to post the procedures on YouTube. Check out his threads, I saw the interior which is awesome 

Yes, Marauder had the famous Bruce Jaeger come in to do his. 

http://www.jaegeraviation.com/

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chan65 said:

Would love to get some feedback on complete interior kits for MJ201 1979

Id like to have some one do it in my hangar as opposed to flying it to a shop, any thought either way, and any referrals on who sell the best complete interior upgrade kits ?

Thanks

Bruce Jaeger did my plane in my hangar the first week of December. Bruce brought most of what he needed with him but you will need to find local sources for the SEM paints and other materials he couldn't carry with him on the plane. Bruce has a complete lower panel kit that uses panels manufactured by a company that makes them for the airlines. It eliminates many of the fasteners in favor of industrial type hook and loop connectors. The upper half of plastic (window frames, upper door half, and overhead) are repaired, painted and re-installed using significantly less screws. He also replaces the the older style vents with ball type vents (had a chance to try them out, they work great!). I think the 79 model already has these.

DSC_3781.JPG.1759e3869b46529620ac05a55ba92fe1.JPG

Bruce's interior is significantly less expensive than an upholstery shop's "cover and/or replace" approach but there are a few drawbacks. The first is that not all of the repairs can be cosmetically made perfect. You may still see some patchwork despite it being textured and painted. And you also may still see some cracking come back. 

The big advantage of Bruce's interior is the quick removal of the lower panels. If you have any avionics work planned, this helps with the labor cost of removing the interior. The interior also makes it a little wider inside. I had been flying for months with the interior removed and got to appreciate the little extra elbow room. Bruce's lower interior panels are very low profile.

If you want more details, PM me and we can speak live.

Well there is glue on the back of the velcro if you use that to put your carpet down do it can be removed.   and the factory used lots of glue to cover the lower panels in material and the arm rests covering and to put the arm rests in place on the panel.   when the lower panels were remade a fair amount of glue was used to cover the lower panel.

some people cover their upper plastic panel with Ultrasuede or other material and glue is used there.

The headliner inserts are glued to the outer skin.

glue is also used to hold the insulation on the outer skin if you replace the fiber insulation.

a fair amount of glue is used to put together a seat cushion and covering

Edited by Yetti
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback, I’m at KHFY just SE of Indianapolis , I’ve restored many cars , some classic car seats are slip over and glue, pretty easy, if made mistakes over estimating my skill set, is this a 5-8k Job hired out or a 5-8 k material cost?

Welcome aboard, Chan.

Got any pictures of your other projects?

Aircraft and auto interiors and exterior paint jobs have a lot in common.

There are price points for everyone.  From the basic to the extravagant...

When it is your forever plane, people have a tendency to spend the long term dollars... no ROI expected...

best regards,

-a-

SCS provides Velcro strips to hold the carpeting in place. Bruce marked my floor where the strips should go and told me to order 3M 1357 glue in the can to attach the Velcro strips to the carpet. The Velcro adhesive on the strips themselves would be used to hold them to the cleaned up floor panels.

Thanks for the feedback, I’m at KHFY just SE of Indianapolis , I’ve restored many cars , some classic car seats are slip over and glue, pretty easy, if made mistakes over estimating my skill set, is this a 5-8k Job hired out or a 5-8 k material cost?

I had mine done professionally for $7k+ all in, but I kept it simple, no embroidery or fancy stitching of the tail number into the leather, etc

Since I have used the sewing machine on other projects, technically the $70 could be amortized across several projects.    I have gone back and added some better ideas of shock cords and such on the front seat pockets and one long pocket on the panel below the back seat.   since I am getting good at them, I may pull the side panels and add some pocket to them

And with my fascination of picking up sewing machines at estate sales for $5 or $10 I have flipped a couple.  Which would further bring down the cost of the first machine.   The sewing cabinets make awesome printer stands, since they don't ship very well.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1