Ailerons sticking

Just did a long cross country and noticed the ailerons seemed to be sticking on the way back. Only sticking in the center, then once I started moving them they were really easy to move and not sticking. After straight flight for a while, slight sticking again. I have a wing leveler that I used prior to (Was testing it, and it wasnt working, drifts to the right), I turned it off after that. Seems to at cruise altitudes, Only noticed it a there. Only feel the sticking on the ailerons, not on the elevator.

Wondering if one of the servo's could be restricting? I will open everything up tomorrow to look and lube all the bushings.

1962 M20C

Any thoughts?

57 minutes ago, AaronC said:

Just did a long cross country and noticed the ailerons seemed to be sticking on the way back. Only sticking in the center, then once I started moving them they were really easy to move and not sticking. After straight flight for a while, slight sticking again. I have a wing leveler that I used prior to (Was testing it, and it wasnt working, drifts to the right), I turned it off after that. Seems to at cruise altitudes, Only noticed it a there. Only feel the sticking on the ailerons, not on the elevator.

Wondering if one of the servo's could be restricting? I will open everything up tomorrow to look and lube all the bushings.

1962 M20C

Any thoughts?

Is this a PC?  It is possible it is not fully disengaged.  Even if you have it disengaged, the servo may have some residual vacuum and compress.  This may cause a slight breakout force.  Also, have seen (and there is a thread with pictures) where the aileron chain does not have the right twist and orientation.  This also causes some binding.  It is not documented anyplace but on Mooneyspace.  If you can’t find it, let me know.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, takair said:

Is this a PC?  It is possible it is not fully disengaged.  Even if you have it disengaged, the servo may have some residual vacuum and compress.  This may cause a slight breakout force.  Also, have seen (and there is a thread with pictures) where the aileron chain does not have the right twist and orientation.  This also causes some binding.  It is not documented anyplace but on Mooneyspace.  If you can’t find it, let me know.  

"aileron chain"?

This should help.  I know it cured my issue years ago and as I recall helped solve the OPs issue.  The problem is that the geometry is not perfect and the pivot points of the chain are not aligned.  This causes the metal drum of the servo tobind just a little with the housing.  Getting the right twist seems to clear the issue.

7 hours ago, AaronC said:

Great help.  We may just have to disconnect the chains until we take the servos out.  (Will be getting one of the new autopilots.)

With a little work, the PC is a nice feature.  You may just want to get eyes on the servos and lines.  Keep in mind that there are two in the tail as well for the rudder.if disabling, you will want to do all 4.  

• Like 1

Checked this morning. All of the push rods are free and clear. On the ground, ailerons are smooth and full motion. It passed the ground test last week, but may have developed a leak, so I will check again.

Brittain servo boots seem new. 

I will let you all know if I find anything. Thanks again for all the help.

2 hours ago, AaronC said:

Checked this morning. All of the push rods are free and clear. On the ground, ailerons are smooth and full motion. It passed the ground test last week, but may have developed a leak, so I will check again.

Brittain servo boots seem new. 

I will let you all know if I find anything. Thanks again for all the help.

Keep in mind that, on the groundwithout vacuum, the bellows pop out of the cavity and won’t behave the same.  To check the servo, push the rubber bellows into the cavity and then have someone move the yoke.  Watch to see of the chain pulls the bellows straight out or if it tries to force it slightly off center.  

Is there any (reasonable easy) way to disconnect the servo system from the ailerons so you can manually move the ailerons through their full range of motion. Knowing whether the "bind" was in the ailerons or the actuating system would seem important to me.

• Like 1