Only one Whelen strobe not working

Mark89114

2 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

As far as I know it is a stock installation, designed to make assembly easier at factory, I would have to assume the factory designed and selected the right part.  The other side is identical so I am highly doubtful it is a retrofit as it looks like stock ovation light systems.  Again the CPC was super hard to get off, I am guessing that something went sideways during original install 17 years ago?? and just now finally failed.  The problem is accessibility, to replace the connector would require drilling wingtip rivets off.  I am deferring to my mechanic for the repair.

There is also no spare slack so you can't even pull the wires out far enough to recrimp anything as a permanent installation eliminating the connector.   

Those connectors are only rated for 600 V and dielectric withstand of 1500 V so they are not rated for the trigger voltage which is typically 3000 V. Nobody said Mooney was perfect.

BTW, from your pictures you could get the pin extractor in there and remove the housing and replace it. But typical working with Mooneys you will be bleeding and cursing when you are done.

You are only referring to working on the female side of the connector, my concern would be the male pins as well.  Are they arced across and worn as well?  I am going to assume yes, based on the wear patterns on the female connector, the connector was worn/burned through on several of the female pin sets.  Again will let the mechanic investigate and replace, I don't have a mirror.  Guess I will get one for fun.

• 10 months later...
On 1/3/2018 at 10:42 PM, RLCarter said:

Your statement above isn’t clear,

Hers what I would do:

(a)     swap the connectors at the power supply, if the problem changes sides it’s the power supply, if no change correct the swapped connectors                  and go to (b)

(b)     swap the strobes, if there is no change it’s the wiring, if the problem changes sides it’s the strobe.

So I've been having intermittent strobe issues for abit and replaced both flash tubes last month which while one seemed to beat to its own drum (slower rate of flash) when installed they all 3 worked atleast. Over the last few flights the left wing has been intermittent again and tonight just wouldn't work. 

I went out tonight and did (a) Issue stayed on the left wing (no noise or flash). So I put the wires back in the original plugs and swapped flash tubes left to right, problem followed, but now while on the right side the tube didn't flash,  but made the noise. The last thing I did/tried was removed the good flash tube (now on left) completely and fired up the system. I got 3-4 flashes out of the "bad" tube on the right and then it went to making noise and maybe 1 more random flash after 15-20 second before I turned things off. 

Did I just get a bad "new" flashtube or is my power supply maybe doing something funky?

This was all on a fully charged battery a whelen strobe system with "new" flash tubes: Pyrex W5502211

Thanks for the help!

3 hours ago, J0nathan225 said:

So I've been having intermittent strobe issues for abit and replaced both flash tubes last month which while one seemed to beat to its own drum (slower rate of flash) when installed they all 3 worked atleast. Over the last few flights the left wing has been intermittent again and tonight just wouldn't work. 

I went out tonight and did (a) Issue stayed on the left wing (no noise or flash). So I put the wires back in the original plugs and swapped flash tubes left to right, problem followed, but now while on the right side the tube didn't flash,  but made the noise. The last thing I did/tried was removed the good flash tube (now on left) completely and fired up the system. I got 3-4 flashes out of the "bad" tube on the right and then it went to making noise and maybe 1 more random flash after 15-20 second before I turned things off. 

Did I just get a bad "new" flashtube or is my power supply maybe doing something funky?

This was all on a fully charged battery a whelen strobe system with "new" flash tubes: Pyrex W5502211

Thanks for the help!

I know you don't want to hear this, but this can be frustrating since you are chasing down old technology on the power supplies and the flash tubes. It hurts once to go LED but then you are done.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I know you don't want to hear this, but this can be frustrating since you are chasing down old technology on the power supplies and the flash tubes. It hurts once to go LED but then you are done.

I think I will buy 1 more flashtube before considering the LED route, if I have to go LED I'll try and wait till my annual.