Multi-engine add on

N6758N

I'm looking to obtain my multi engine rating in the immediate future. I am currently commercial and instrument single engine rated. Looking to see if anyone here has a connection to a flight school or knows of someone willing to do instruction in their own airplane somewhere in the northeast (Philadelphia area). I would greatly appreciate any leads or help you folks can give me, thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, N6758N said:

I'm looking to obtain my multi engine rating in the immediate future. I am currently commercial and instrument single engine rated. Looking to see if anyone here has a connection to a flight school or knows of someone willing to do instruction in their own airplane somewhere in the northeast (Philadelphia area). I would greatly appreciate any leads or help you folks can give me, thanks in advance!

Terry,

I’ve looked into it extensively myself and found Infinity Flight at TTN would be the one I would go with based on needing to get the rating for work. I was contemplating making the switch from helicopters to the airlines and infinity works closely with Piedmont on a rotor to airplane transition program. Their quote back to me came in under 9 amu per what the Piedmont guys said I needed for their mins. I have my helicopter ATP but zero multi airplane time. 

I like ATP as previously mentioned too. Infinity only beat them out in my case because of their relationship with Piedmont. 

That being said, we are also looking to purchase a twin Comanche and if we go that route I want to do my initial multi in a TC prior to purchase (insurance quote difference basically pays for the training). We found an outfit in Charlotte MI that seemed to fit our needs that does TC specific multi ratings and time building. 

My 2 cents anyways. Good luck. 

Jeff

• Like 1

My normal recommendation is to go somewhere with more than 1 twin of the same make/model that flies regularly.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen ME ratings take forever because "the multi is down"

While they're a pilot mill, sometimes ATP is the best bet.  I used them for my ATP-ME for the reason of aircraft availability.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gsengle said:

Heard many good things about...

http://www.actionmultiratings.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard a lot of great things as well, they are also very reasonable on price too. 3 AMUs vs 8 for ATP or others...

I've tried contacting them via email without success, I think it's time I pick up the phone...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kris_Adams said:

$8k for multi add on?  Wow. Seems high but I was vfr only when I did mine. I thoroughly enjoyed doing the ME rating. I’m sure training to commercial or Atp and ifr would add quite a bit off hours. -Kris

Not really. You just have to do a simulated single engine ILS. Which is a non event sense you are coming down off the power anyway. 8k is extremely high. I did my multi commercial/instrument ad-on in 5 hours. There are no minimum hours. The oral is all about Vmc, nothing else because you already passed the comm. oral. I’d say I spent 4K total and that includes checkride fee. 

Edited by MHemperly
  • Like 1

I did mine at an ATP in Jacksonville.  I had a friend who bought a twin bonanza, and he said I could use it.  Got around 8 hours of multi and a checkride.  I felt okay, but I definitely would have gotten more dual instruction back home if I stuck with it.  I felt that flying my friends plane infrequently wasn't a good idea.  

24 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I did mine at an ATP in Jacksonville.  I had a friend who bought a twin bonanza, and he said I could use it.  Got around 8 hours of multi and a checkride.  I felt okay, but I definitely would have gotten more dual instruction back home if I stuck with it.  I felt that flying my friends plane infrequently wasn't a good idea.  

I was thinking about going with them. I'm only 30 minutes away by Mooney.

35 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I was thinking about going with them. I'm only 30 minutes away by Mooney.

I was only 1hr by mooney.  I did it around the July 4th week and stayed at a local hotel.  One of the FBOs will let you park for free if you're attending the ATP school.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/3/2018 at 4:26 PM, N6758N said:

Who did you end up going with, Terry @N6758N? I’m in the Philly area but can travel. 

Edited by Garryowen

11 hours ago, Garryowen said:

Who did you end up going with, Terry @N6758N? I’m in the Philly area but can travel. 

I used a company called Six North in Chicago land, based out of Shaumberg. I just tried to look them up to get a URL but apparently the business is closed now. It was  very affordable and the instruction was good. 

• Thanks 1

I just did it this past week in Valparaíso Ind at regions flyers flight school, KVPZ. Great experience and super nice folks. Let me use one of the crew cars the whole time I was there. Was about six hours in the Apache, and included my instrument add on to the rating as well. Around 3.5k or so not including the check ride.

• 2 weeks later...