Cabin insulation source (SB 208B)?

My airplane previously had Mooney SB 208 complied with and new insulation installed. It is foam with an adhesive on one side (to skin) and shiny foil on the cabin side. Does anyone know where I can get this type of material to do some touch up insulation work?

I found a fuel leak recently :( that needs to be addressed. Unfortunately some fuel seeped into the cabin and the insulation wicked it up. I'd like to cut out the affected areas and replace, no need for the whole kit...

• Like 1

Aircraft Spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/insulation.html

Here are the FAA requirements

Functions

Aircraft Thermal/Acoustic Insulation Materials Functions and Requirements

Both thermal and acoustical insulation is required on passenger aircraft. Historically, both functions have been provided by the same material system, which has mostly been fiberglass batting encapsulated in a plastic pillowcase covering. Covering plastics have been predominantly PET (polyethylene terephthalate, which duPont calls Mylar), and a lesser quantity of polyvinyl fluoride (PVF), which duPont calls Tedlar). Kapton, a polyimide film made by duPont, was used in the L1011 program by Lockheed.

Thermal

The thermal environment outside an airplane produces fuselage skin temperatures from about –60F when in-flight at altitude to about +160F when parked in direct sunlight in the desert. The amount of insulation needed for the air conditioning/heating system to economically produce comfortable cabin temperatures varies with airplane type and location. However, except for a few places such as the crown area over the aft passenger cabin and the lower fuselage area below the passenger floor, acoustic requirements predominate. Therefore, except for those places, the amount of insulation present exceeds that needed for thermal requirements.

Acoustic

Outside noise is generated by aerodynamics and engines. Insulation is used to attenuate outside noise to allow reasonable levels of comfort and verbal communication inside the passenger cabin and flight deck. The acoustic attenuation needed varies from airplane to airplane, but is generally substantial and insulating material of very high acoustic efficiency is used to minimize the amount (weight, volume) required. Fiberglass batting, using a very small fiber diameter, is a highly efficient acoustic attenuator.

Fire Barrier

Currently, insulation using fiberglass batting will resist fire penetration in lower-intensity thermal environments. Cargo compartments are required to have liners that are fire barriers. In some compartments, the thermal insulation lining the fuselage provides the fire barrier. For these areas, the requirement involves a Bunsen burner test fiberglass batting easily passes.

The FAA has released information in press reports that it plans to propose a requirement that insulation be resistant to burnthrough in an intense thermal environment like that of a fuel-fed fire. All insulation material systems would have to be redesigned to meet this requirement.

Requirements

- Must perform acoustical, thermal, and fire barrier functions

• -  Must not be heavy
    Any new insulation materials system must not substantially exceed the weight of

existing systems, which averages about 0.1 lb/sqft.

Glass batting varies from 0.34 to about 1.5 lb/cuft, with lighter weights predominating. Batting thickness is about 5 inches in the crown area, 3 inches along the sides, and 1 inch below the passenger floor. Covering material varies from 0.5 to about 1.5 oz/sqyd, with 0.5 and 0.9 oz/sqyd predominating.

• -  Must not cause or promote corrosion to the aluminum fuselage structure

• -  Must not be electrically conductive

• -  Must not interfere with inspection of the fuselage structure for corrosion, cracks, etc.

• -  Must meet regulatory flammability requirements

• -  Must not absorb large amounts of water

• -  Must not have adverse environmental and/or health/safety effects either during fabrication and installation, or in service use 

The stuff mooney provided is very good. It’s Mylar foil faced and is lightweight. I bought some Soundex and it is very heavy. Like 5 lbs for a 3’ square piece. And not Mylar face, it’s crinkly foil and only on one side. It’s not nearly the same thing.  Anyways I’d love to know where to get the real stuff. 

11 hours ago, jetdriven said:

The stuff mooney provided is very good. It’s Mylar foil faced and is lightweight. I bought some Soundex and it is very heavy. Like 5 lbs for a 3’ square piece. And not Mylar face, it’s crinkly foil and only on one side. It’s not nearly the same thing.  Anyways I’d love to know where to get the real stuff. 

SOUNDEX is 6.11oz. per sq. ft. for 1" thickness (3 foot square or 9 square feet would be 55 oz. or 3.43 lbs)  

5.8 oz. per sq. ft. for 3/4" thickness (3 foot square or 9 square feet would be 52.2 oz. or 3.26 lbs)  

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/soundex2.php

I bought sheets of the 3/4" Soundex and cut it to fit and have been pleased. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/soundex7.php

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/3/2018 at 10:49 PM, LANCECASPER said:

SOUNDEX is 6.11oz. per sq. ft. for 1" thickness (3 foot square or 9 square feet would be 55 oz. or 3.43 lbs)  

5.8 oz. per sq. ft. for 3/4" thickness (3 foot square or 9 square feet would be 52.2 oz. or 3.26 lbs)  

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/soundex2.php

I bought sheets of the 3/4" Soundex and cut it to fit and have been pleased. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/soundex7.php

What did you use to glue the soundex insulation to the skin?  Getting ready to do an interior and thinking about removing old insulation and adding soundex.  Thanks

3 minutes ago, Hector said:

What did you use to glue the soundex insulation to the skin?  Getting ready to do an interior and thinking about removing old insulation and adding soundex.  Thanks

I didn't use any glue. Some of it can just form fit if you cut it close enough. Some is taped with SXT-200 Soundex aluminum foil tape.

658796268_ScreenShot2018-11-26at10_00_13PM.thumb.png.22fde93e2364ad208f2dbcfbf0d8a063.png

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/soundex7.php?clickkey=23792

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I didn't use any glue. Some of it can just form fit if you cut it close enough. Some is taped with SXT-200 Soundex aluminum foil tape.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/soundex7.php?clickkey=23792

Do you have any photos of your installation you can share?  I'm doing exactly this SB on my '68 M20F right now.

34 minutes ago, hmasing said:

Do you have any photos of your installation you can share?  I'm doing exactly this SB on my '68 M20F right now.

Sorry I don't but there are pictures on the aircraft spruce link above. Also here: http://www.soundexproducts.com/index.html

An electric knife, like you would use to carve a turkey, works best to cut this.