Help - Looking for ASA IP Trainer 7

DXB

Fellow Mooneyspacers - would anyone be willing to loan me their copy of the long-defunct ASA IP Trainer 7, or sell to me for cheap? I want to use it to supplement my ongoing IR training. It is no longer sold or supported by ASA and won't work on modern operating systems. If I can find a copy, I'm going to try to put it on an older 64 bit Windows 7 laptop with a 32 bit Windows XP emulator installed.   I do see a couple of places still selling for ~$150 but that seems steep, particularly since I'm not even sure I can get it to run on a computer I presently own.

Sounds like a lot of work.  When it works out, what is the advantage?

If only a procedure practicing device... Have you used the MSFS?

You can set clouds and weather or have it Select the actual weather for you....

It is great for cramming in a lot of practice using procedures.  Downloadable on any modern PC...

Best regards,

-a-

18 hours ago, DXB said:

...and won't work on modern operating systems. If I can find a copy, I'm going to try to put it on an older 64 bit Windows 7 laptop with a 32 bit Windows XP emulator installed. ...

It should still run just fine on a current Windows system, you just need to set up the "compatibility Settings". I don't know what your running now, but for example if you are running Windows 10, you can set the required compatibility settings by right clicking the executable shortcut on the desktop (or anywhere) and clicking "troubleshoot compatibility". This will run an automated utility that will do it for you or you can just tell it to set it up to run as if it was on Windows XP Service Pack 2 which should do it. But sometimes you may also have to play with the graphics settings too. But regardless, if  your comfortable using the utility, you should be able to set it up to run just fine. Its never failed me and I've used it on every version of Windows, it just gets easier to use with every new version but has been available on every version since at least XP. 

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

You can set clouds and weather or have it Select the actual weather for you....

It is great for cramming in a lot of practice using procedures.  Downloadable on any modern PC...

Best regards,

-a-

MS FSX or X-Plane work really well for Instrument procedures, personally I use FSX with CH yoke and pedals. Picked up all of it on eBay for less than 100 bucks, as Andrew mentioned, Weather can be set to what ever you want as can pretty much every parameter including failures, there are even programs (free) that allow the use of your iPad and favorite moving map app.

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

2 hours ago, RLCarter said:

MS FSX or X-Plane work really well for Instrument procedures, personally I use FSX with CH yoke and pedals. Picked up all of it on eBay for less than 100 bucks, as Andrew mentioned, Weather can be set to what ever you want as can pretty much every parameter including failures, there are even programs (free) that allow the use of your iPad and favorite moving map app.

I messed with FSX a bit during primary training and also have a used yoke, pedals, throttle quad.  It ran slow on my spare old laptop but I'm sure it could be configured for low graphics just to practice approaches etc if I wanted to spend the time setting up. 

I saw a couple of youtube vids on IP Trainer 7, and it seemed like the perfect adjunct at my current training stage.  The setup effort and system requirements for an older computer seemed minimal if it has the right operating system. I appreciate @kortopates's input that it works well in compatibility modes.  I liked the large library of "hold you by the hand" instructor-led sessions starting with scan practice and going through all tasks in the PTS - something to do quickly in spare moments without any setup effort.  

Looks like the place that I thought still sold it (http://www.tagpilotsupply.com/browseproducts/IP-Trainer-7----Instrument-Pilot-Procedures-Course.HTML) doesn't actually have it.   Let me know if anyone knows where I might score a copy.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My name is Shawn. I live in Scottsdale AZ. I have a NEW in box ASA IP Trainer 7. It has the manuals (still poly wrapped) and all of the original contents; including ads! I added hard shell cases for the CDs for protection.

I can ship.

Please feel free to reach out and I will be happy to discuss further.

CIMG2140.JPG

CIMG2144.JPG

CIMG2145.JPG

CIMG2148.JPG

Amazon ad.JPG

Edited by Shawn M

• 4 weeks later...