Medeco Lockset Recommendation

nosky2high

Over the holiday break, we finally got around to updating the baggage and copilot door with Medeco Aircraft locks. Prior to my ownership, the biggest collection of incompetent Mooney owners somehow managed to replace the baggage door, copilot door and ignition switch with three different keys. The ignition switch was replaced with a used salvage switch by a real cheapskate that naturally I had to replace with new when it hinted at giving me trouble several years ago. 

Now I've got one key for the baggage and copilot doors and will replace the ignition key switch with the electroair keyless ignition switch soon.

FFI check www.aircraftsecurity.com

This is also a good time to upgrade the older door handle to the new version.

the flying restoration continues... As we approach 1400 hours in 6.5 years.

regards,

anthony

Medco are really good for security, here's my thought, if your away from home and loose your key it almost impossible to get in without destroying the lock or even get a key made, so get duplicate keys made and tape (good aluminum tape) one on the inside of an inspection panel. Also check to see who really owns that lock, even though you purchased it does not make you the owner and only the owner can get keys duplicated

6 hours ago, Danb said:

Anthony,nosky, what type of medeco locks did you use on the door and luggage door, also I assume they match keys with the ignition 

https://aircraftsecurity.com/collections/mooney/products/asm20

I ordered the Mooney set, I'm not aware of any ability to match with the ignition.

You'd have to give them a call.

Don't spend too much money installing a super secure lock, the airframe itself is rather susceptible to a determined theif not afraid of causing damage to get in with the lock still locked.

I must have four or five (or six) sets of keys to my Mooney. They are color coded for function (either rubber caps or colored keys):

• Blue for bags (baggage door)
  • Green for go (door)
  • Red for fire (ignition)

A new set can be made most anywhere for less than a fast food burger meal. One for me, one for the wife, a spare set at home and one I can leave when it's in the shop (no hangar keys on that set, plus a tag with N number and my name). Maybe another set somewhere, I forget.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hank said:

Don't spend too much money installing a super secure lock, the airframe itself is rather susceptible to a determined theif not afraid of causing damage to get in with the lock still locked.

I must have four or five (or six) sets of keys to my Mooney. They are color coded for function (either rubber caps or colored keys):

• Blue for bags (baggage door)
  • Green for go (door)
  • Red for fire (ignition)

A new set can be made most anywhere for less than a fast food burger meal. One for me, one for the wife, a spare set at home and one I can leave when it's in the shop (no hangar keys on that set, plus a tag with N number and my name). Maybe another set somewhere, I forget.

So true Hank that security of the locks is easily defeated by prying the door open. But the way I view it, I virtually am never parked alone in isolation when I am travelling, therefore the more security features I have in use the more likely the thief is going to pick on the plane next to me without any such deterrents. Truth is I am only concerned about any of this security stuff when I am traveling beyond borders to the south and then I'll use a prop lock as well a throttle lock with my Medeco locks.

I bought a pair of Medeco locks at my local locksmith and installed them as a minor mod. If you search older threads you should find prior mention of this with lock part no's. This way you'll personally be registered for the keys and will have local access to acquiring lots of copies inexpensively. A future owner can re-register the locks info to transfer to their own locale.