Today's flight for 2018

bonal

This is my flight today.  The ground track looks like when I was a kid in the parking lot doing donutz.  Only the distances are larger.  And I had to do it - today was my BFR.  My friend said it looks like I was drunk.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N314EB/history/20181219/1528Z/KBTV/KBTV

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

ILC,

How Old is the boy?

What plane was his lesson in?

Best regards,

-a-

He’s 8. It was in a 172. He did a great job. I was in the back and I when I asked  him to do a hammerhead he said “Dad, I’m the one flying! Be quiet!”

Sounds like I’m going to be working on my commercial and CFI...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HRM said:

Looks a bit like a bikini bottom to me :P

bikini-bottom.jpeg?rect=0,107,1066,533&d

10 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

This morning's commute. No filters, no image manipulation. The first is looking east, the second looking west, the third is the sunrise in my descent.

Nice pix.  I'm liking the new taxiways at San Carlos.  Still waiting for them to fix the fuel pump, though...and the weather bot...  ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

Nice pix.  I'm liking the new taxiways at San Carlos.  Still waiting for them to fix the fuel pump, though...and the weather bot...  ;)

Yep. The weather works sometimes, not today. I'll be back there again tomorrow, touch down around 7:20AM, leave when we're done for the day. Sometimes noon, sometimes 5PM and any time between is possible.

• Like 1

Here are some more photos from my trip to the Bahamas last week.  Went to Eleuthera - beautiful beaches and nice people.  Quiet is what we were looking for and got it. 

On the way down we stopped at TIX, visited the Kennedy Center, and stayed the night in Coco beach.  

This was my first international and overwater flight of any significance.  Flew down the next day to just north of PBI (WHELM) and then took the left turn to Grand Bahama.  The overwater portion was about 20 min. The sea got that great aqua color and you could start to see reef after reef.  Flew over the southern end of Abaco and across the channel to Eleuthera.  Landed in Gov Harbor - customs was very straightforward.  Explored the island a bit - decided that a boat charter with a 6 month old would be too much, so despite the 5 year olds admiration for swimming pigs, we did two beach days and an explore the island day.  Beautiful beaches on both the Atlantic and “Caribbean” side.  Hardly saw anyone else - 2 people in a day of beach-going at one beach, three in another day.  

One of my favorite parts was the Levy nature preserve - hiking trails though different parts of the local ecosystem- really nice. Our daughter  loved it too. Hiking for three hours with a gargantuan 6 month old in a baby bjorn carrier left my wife and I with  strained backs  :-)

Food was good / fresh but eating out put the $100-hamburger adage to a real test.  Super expensive- probably 2-3x more expensive for eating out compared to the US.  We stayed in an apartment that had a well appointed kitchen so did some grocery trips and cooked at home as well.  Found a hole in the wall in Gregory town with some of the best fried fish I’ve had hands down.  It was pretty much perfect.  The proprietor through abs though knows how to cook.  

Had the opportunity to extend the trip by a day because of some crap weather in the SE and convection moving of the Florida coast.  Another day in paradise- sign me up.  Flew home the next day up the coast after a stop for customs in FPR and lunch at the Tiki.  Smooth skies and great visibility up the coast despite one of those post cold front from the NW stuff headwind days.  

F4E96B8B-7163-4AE7-8B4F-E558EEADB38D.jpeg

5AD48FA4-5496-435D-93F2-D20D24604910.jpeg

9515DFB9-5B78-4CFE-9B93-100B20C8406F.jpeg

32DE33C5-BA91-4017-AADE-03B4C2A3C41B.jpeg

D711E0A4-CF0C-4669-99DA-E50090CBB6F6.jpeg

CE4A78E3-C5C9-4185-ACA7-0F4012AA3EA3.jpeg

18B6DDAA-638D-4DCA-AEC7-82288535D4A1.jpeg

34730648-8EAA-43E9-9EB2-6E96B9DDA2D1.jpeg

900FF166-4681-4A60-9C78-4D94D72189F9.jpeg

F5A66156-7953-402D-8AF0-A6CC7A05008F.jpeg

• Like 12

Since I hadn't flow in a few weeks, decided to do a short animal rescue flight, from KHOT back to my base at KAWM.  On my return to KAWM N1972W, a 62C, landed just behind me but I was too busy with transferring the dog and hangering my Mooney to stop into the terminal and meet the pilot.

I looked later, and it seems that 72W was making a lunch stop on a flight from their base at LasAlamos NM to PHF in Hampton Roads, VA (my old stomping grounds).   It seems that 72W made the 1500nm flight from KLAM to KPHF with a single fuel stop.  Sure there was a decent tailwind, but this is still impressive for a vintage C.  Anyone know if the owner of 72W, Joshua Payne, is on MS? 

Edit: so I see that the owner of 72W is on MS as klystron, but he hasn't logged onto MS since May

Edited by neilpilot
found owner of 72W
  • Like 3

I went for a cruise on Christmas eve.  No phone, no pad, no magenta line to follow.   had to guess how far away I was to make calls.  Strangely pilotage still seems to work.  The gear was put down before landing, so no pics were needed.

• Like 8

Flew a mid-atlantic triangle yesterday - brother in law needed to check in on base, so flew ILM to PHF.  Then headed to LYH to be fedex/santa claus.  Then back to ILM.  Good day of flying in perfect weather with a -2000 ft density altitude.  The engine likes.

04E95A54-A490-4E2A-8EA1-0564A3692BBF.jpeg

136B773C-26E8-4F07-8CC3-5270971B8AB5.jpeg

6AB6CDB3-DE33-47D6-9850-EAA1DBBB35B1.jpeg

EFE32A86-79D9-4FB1-8D00-F4125D11169A.jpeg

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, bradp said:

Flew a mid-atlantic triangle yesterday - brother in law needed to check in on base, so flew ILM to PHF.  Then headed to LYH to be fedex/santa claus.  Then back to ILM.  Good day of flying in perfect weather with a -2000 ft density altitude.  The engine likes.

EFE32A86-79D9-4FB1-8D00-F4125D11169A.jpeg

:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 4