Today's flight for 2018

bonal

5 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Yes I have a 10 Liter barrel. I'm still working on upgrades to my ethanol separation apparatus so it can also be used as a mash tun. One of these days I will have to make something for the barrel. I have two pieces from the machine shop that I have to weld this weekend. 

Sounds like Mooney shine to me.

7 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Yes I have a 10 Liter barrel. I'm still working on upgrades to my ethanol separation apparatus so it can also be used as a mash tun. One of these days I will have to make something for the barrel. I have two pieces from the machine shop that I have to weld this weekend. 

Also, I would love to personally see this operation sometime  :D

It’s been seven long weeks without my plane. It started out okay because the forest fire smoke was so bad. But the last month has been pretty hard with great flying weather. But got the plane all buttoned back up today. Its to many things to list done to the plane. But I’m very happy to have it back.

The freshly IRAN prop had the plane flying so smooth but the new Power Flow had me going so fast all the pictures were just a blur....:) I also had the spinner sent off to have the paint stripped, buffed and polished. I don’t know if I said but I’m VERY HAPPY to have my plane back!!!!

d377e995f8d398d70aa2fb28800b09a4.jpg
33220d2d1e22ffe2210b629ac2dcf2be.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Flew to Phoenix a few weeks back to celebrate my parent's 50th Wedding Anniversary. With all four seats filled, plus bags, plus the home-made AC (it was a hot weekend there) we had to get a little creative with the loading of the bags to stay away from the backside of the CG envelope. Ended up with bags between the kids and my wife's small bag under her legs in front of her seat, but we had cool air blowing from the AC!

Most flights I guesstimate weights of bags and people because I know we are well within limits. For this flight everyone got on the scale before getting in the plane and all bags were weighed so I could calculate everything.

Creative Weight and Balance

Pre-Adjustment.thumb.jpg.d14f01861abbb7133d11ae3e243281e9.jpgPost-Adjustment.thumb.jpg.e912b02ed6037e7fffa91b7d096b57d4.jpg

Where we would have been with all the bags in the back vs where we were with two of the heavier bags between the kids and my wife's bag up front.

20180908_152427.thumb.jpg.19aac7c96d0e2d391fb4cdc3ba93d00a.jpg20180909_161835.thumb.jpg.cef2563400f4fef2f5f4dfd92d2c26ac.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Had a nice flight to Salt Lake a couple weeks ago for my niece's wedding. This is part one (the flight there) and I will get the return flight written up in the next day or two. Nice winds going there with ground speeds of 170mph+ most of the way.

https://intothesky.us/2018/09/28/morning-weather-delay-corona-ca-kajo-to-salt-lake-ut-skypark-kbtf/

20180928_101804.jpg?fit=1700,727

Haze over Lake Matthews

20180928_143427.jpg?ssl=1

Fuel stop in Delta

20180928_141508_Moment.jpg?fit=1700,727

Tumbleweeds growing up through the cracks in the taxiways at Delta, there were bigger ones growing up through the cracks on the sides of the runway.

• Like 5

While I pray for our Florida Mooneyspacers, it was beautiful around Texas today.  The Corsair had to wait for me to land but I got a shot of his departure.

Captured the old bomber taxing by me.

Pic of my plane.  Lots of warbirds about.  Wings over Houston next weekend.

Russ

5A3E7820-3ABA-4F22-B5AC-6AB91FBE5F61.jpeg

E23BC025-512E-4EA5-B8ED-D7D6CDA1CFFB.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/28/2018 at 5:00 PM, Stephen said:

Yes sir, as a 3rd gen AZ boy

Me too.  Moved to WA State when I was 11 though.

My Wednesday flight over the Cascades coming home from Wenatchee with my daughter and her boyfriend for a weekend visit 

6580B628-31CB-4F5E-938C-8A0890A21EE3.jpeg

• Like 2

Went up for a little spin yesterday to keep the engine oiled up and my skills in some level of shape.    It was the first time I have been up where the wind was pushing the plane all over the sky.  The wing leveler was getting a work out.  the landing was sporting to say the least.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

Went up for a little spin yesterday to keep the engine oiled up and my skills in some level of shape.    It was the first time I have been up where the wind was pushing the plane all over the sky.  The wing leveler was getting a work out.  the landing was sporting to say the least.  

Have you had a breakfast / lunch run where you spend the cruise portion of the flight looking out the right passenger window? Surprisingly, my wife thought that flight was amusing . . . . . And she hasn't complained about any of my wind-induced "sporting" landings yet.  :lol:

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

Have you had a breakfast / lunch run where you spend the cruise portion of the flight looking out the right passenger window? Surprisingly, my wife thought that flight was amusing . . . . . And she hasn't complained about any of my wind-induced "sporting" landings yet.  :lol:

In a 172 :-)    When I say getting pushed around.... there was not a lot of level flight.   Hit my head on the ceiling once.  Gusty choppy.  The plane getting blown sideways by gusts.  

8 minutes ago, Yetti said:

In a 172 :-)    When I say getting pushed around.... there was not a lot of level flight.   Hit my head on the ceiling once.  Gusty choppy.  The plane getting blown sideways by gusts.  

Three fun ones off the top of my head:  cruise flight out the right side window; wife hitting her bead on the ceiling; gusty day, wind through the gap almost stood me on a wingtip on short final, leading to a go around once level and a smooth landing the next try.

You gotta take the bad with the good. Besides, it's  good practice! IMC makes it better, but so far that hasn't been as sporting for me (nor do I want it to!).

• Like 1

Last Friday, I flew across the affected portions of South AL & GA affected by Michael.   Poor folks. Could see from 7500 ft. that the trees down there were missing their leaves.   Lot's of fires from what I assumed were folks burning broken branches and woody debris.  Next morning went fishing with a buddy about 15 miles off Palm Beach.  Saw the beautiful remnants of shallow tropical CB that fizzled at sunrise.   That afternoon back at his house with the catch.  It was a good trip.  I left the bird behind to get her tanks resealed.  :o

Michael_Damage_nr_Dothan_AL.jpg

am_CB_remnants.jpg

pm_Fish_caught.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

What kind of fish did you get there, Fred?

Best regards,

-a-

The eatin' fish we caught were: three Mahi-Mahi or "Dolphin" as the locals call them, one King Mackerel, one blackfin tuna.   We cooked some of each Saturday evening and they were tasty.    The smallest one is a good baitfish and I don't recall the name.   The Atlantic was flat as a lake last Saturday. 

• Like 1

Took a trip with my wife back to LVK to meet an old friend and attend an international quilt show in Santa Clara. He met us at the field and we drove from there. Winds were forecast to be gusting in the 60mph range but the trip down was mostly smooth with not much wind evident. On the return trip we were having to point about 25 degrees east of our destination to compensate for the crosswind. Winds were gusting to 16 at home which made for a tricky downwind, base to final but worked out with us ending up just upwind of the runway on short to a minor slip to landing. The whole time I was very mindful of air speeds and wing loading and keeping the bank to under 30 degrees. They had a red flag warning because of the high winds and low humidity which prompted the utility to pro actively shut off power around Northern California. They are doing if for safety (they say) but in truth it's more about liability since the states version of reverse condemnation is resulting in law suits that are going to reach the billions.  I must say during our flight did not feel winds even close to forcast. But was definitely on my mind as I thought about the flight home and if winds were going to be gusting over 50 as we reached for home. 

2 hours ago, bonal said:

Winds were gusting to 16 at home which made for a tricky downwind, base to final but worked out with us ending up just upwind of the runway on short to a minor slip to landing. The whole time I was very mindful of air speeds and wing loading and keeping the bank to under 30 degrees.

I am there with you.   I got shoved way downwind and over centerline due to wind.   Happens.  Just got to keep turning in a coordinated fashion.   image.thumb.png.730169093b8824e0252fb39ff354e351.png

• Like 1

My GoPro Hero 7 arrived this week, so I took it for a test run on my flight back to Lakeport this evening. I was very impressed with the built-in stabilization. Here's a clip of my transition through Oakland's class C airspace.

• Like 2