Today's flight for 2018

bonal

4 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Damn those are ugly! And creepy!  :-O

I get no end of comments. My favorite is "Are they comfortable?" to which I reply "No, my feet are in constant pain."

Frankly, I own five different pairs, these are my daily wear ones. I have workout, running, boating/water sports, and dress (Kangaroo Leather).

A full-professor of engineering with tenure can pretty much wear whatever he likes. As a favor to the university president (he hates them), I wear regular shoes (and socks!) to commencement.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marauder said:

So what do they feel like? Can you fly with them or is there not enough support?

See my reply to @aviatoreb

Of course I fly with them, it's the closest I'll ever get to playing 'footsie' with The Mistress.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HRM said:

I get no end of comments. My favorite is "Are they comfortable?" to which I reply "No, my feet are in constant pain."

Frankly, I own five different pairs, these are my daily wear ones. I have workout, running, boating/water sports, and dress (Kangaroo Leather).

A full-professor of engineering with tenure can pretty much wear whatever he likes. As a favor to the university president (he hates them), I wear regular shoes (and socks!) to commencement.

Well - them some ugly shoes.  Kangaroo leather dress ugly hobbit feet shoes?  To funny.

Hey - you are a full professor of engineering?  What kind of engineering - where? I'm a full professor too - split appointment between ECE and math (across school of engineering and A&S).  So ... maybe I should wear really bad shoes too?  I just wear regular-ol' merlyls.  Maybe I should up my ugly shoe game like you?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HRM said:

See my reply to @aviatoreb

Of course I fly with them, it's the closest I'll ever get to playing 'footsie' with The Mistress.

Actually.  I am tall and I started flying with no shoes - just socks - years ago - since it gives me a little more foot extension.  But soon I learned I get better tactile feel for the pedals and my landings improved.

I wonder if your ugly full professor shoes is something I should try?  Or should I have said, full professor ugly shoes?

21 minutes ago, HRM said:

Vibram Fivefingers CVT-Hemp Khaki MENS

5086.jpg

Ooh, that's interesting.  I have a pair of VFF running shoes, which were never very good for running, but they're amazingly comfortable "walking around" shoes.  I didn't know they had less-sporty options.

15 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Damn those are ugly! And creepy!  :-O

I can't stand wearing flip flops (my wife born and raised in SoCal can't understand) because I can't stand having that little strap between my toes. I can't imagine having something in between all of my toes...

• Like 5

Lol, there is a fitting quote. “Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should....”:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Actually.  I am tall and I started flying with no shoes - just socks - years ago - since it gives me a little more foot extension.  But soon I learned I get better tactile feel for the pedals and my landings improved.

I wonder if your ugly full professor shoes is something I should try?  Or should I have said, full professor ugly shoes?

My size 13 shoes wouldn't fit well in my biplane so I would fly it barefooted, I tried the Vibrams but it just didn't feel comfortable.  I finally found a pair of slip on converse shoes that are thin enough to cover my feet and not interfere with the pedal movement.

7 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I can't stand wearing flip flops (my wife born and raised in SoCal can't understand) because I can't stand having that little strap between my toes. I can't imagine having something in between all of my toes...

I hate flip flops too! I had a pair of these shoes for a while, I got used to the feel between my toes, but since I walk heel to toe the lack of padding on the heel eventually made me stop wearing them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Well - them some ugly shoes.  Kangaroo leather dress ugly hobbit feet shoes?  To funny.

Hey - you are a full professor of engineering?  What kind of engineering - where? I'm a full professor too - split appointment between ECE and math (across school of engineering and A&S).  So ... maybe I should wear really bad shoes too?  I just wear regular-ol' merlyls.  Maybe I should up my ugly shoe game like you?

Clarkson, good school (now see if you can deduce where I am a professor). I am an EE. I became one at 3 years old when I discovered arc flash (that's a story for another time).

I have never sacrificed comfort for fashion--just ask my kids, they are both Manhattanites now and cringe at the thought of being in public with me.

Not everyone can wear Vibrams. I've discovered that women always tell me they can't stand things between their toes--must be from having that spongy thing on at the pedicurist. When you first wear them your feet and legs are in pain. This is because you are using muscles in the correct way, i.e., as nature intended, without any artificial support. After a break-in period you develop perfect gait. What's neat is that if you took mine and poured plaster into them, you would have a perfect set of lasts of my feet. They mold to them over time.

1 hour ago, Wildhorsesracing said:

My size 13 shoes wouldn't fit well in my biplane so I would fly it barefooted, I tried the Vibrams but it just didn't feel comfortable.  I finally found a pair of slip on converse shoes that are thin enough to cover my feet and not interfere with the pedal movement.

In the winter I wear a pair of natural wool fleece/leather shear booties - that are like Eskimo slippers - with no sole just leather. They stay clean and live in my airplane full time in the winter.

9 minutes ago, HRM said:

Clarkson, good school (now see if you can deduce where I am a professor). I am an EE. I became one at 3 years old when I discovered arc flash (that's a story for another time).

I have never sacrificed comfort for fashion--just ask my kids, they are both Manhattanites now and cringe at the thought of being in public with me.

Not everyone can wear Vibrams. I've discovered that women always tell me they can't stand things between their toes--must be from having that spongy thing on at the pedicurist. When you first wear them your feet and legs are in pain. This is because you are using muscles in the correct way, i.e., as nature intended, without any artificial support. After a break-in period you develop perfect gait. What's neat is that if you took mine and poured plaster into them, you would have a perfect set of lasts of my feet. They mold to them over time.

Lamar university?  I deduce simply by the airport you listed.  I don’t have your natural name to google search.

monday was the first day of class which I taught at 8-9 then popped over to the airport to fly myself to dc then contractors meetings at darpa then back to university this am - in the uber right now...

if we go by what I shoulda been - since I was a little kid I shoulda been a physicist!  I walked talk and ate and read physics through teen years through half of college then a made a dramatic change... to applied math since I decided it was the universe language to do science and I could do physics sometimes as I wish and I have.  The recent appt to dual in ece (really ce for me) is part of standing up “data analytics” which is the trending phrase for what I’ve been doing for 25 years.

you can tell me your arc flash three year old story sometime.  I’ll tell you my 5 year old irrational number story sometime... then we can fly!

Edited by aviatoreb

8 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

But inquiring minds want to know.... socks?

Yep, they make toe socks.

I have worn 5 fingers for about 11 years and have run hundreds of miles in them all over the globe. I used to get severe  shin splints before I started running in my vFF. I no longer have that issue.

For those that don't like separated toes but want a minimal shoe you can try a company called Xero shoes (pronounced zero)  I have a few pairs of theirs as well. 

• Like 2

If you all keep talking about those ugly shoes I may have to dig out the picture of José's ugly foot to put in them.

That threat is right up there with my posting of beautiful women. I still have flashbacks of that picture. Took me a second to figure out that it was indeed human.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Lamar university?  I deduce simply by the airport you listed.  I don’t have your natural name to google search.

monday was the first day of class which I taught at 8-9 then popped over to the airport to fly myself to dc then contractors meetings at darpa then back to university this am - in the uber right now...

if we go by what I shoulda been - since I was a little kid I shoulda been a physicist!  I walked talk and ate and read physics through teen years through half of college then a made a dramatic change... to applied math since I decided it was the universe language to do science and I could do physics sometimes as I wish and I have.  The recent appt to dual in ece (really ce for me) is part of standing up “data analytics” which is the trending phrase for what I’ve been doing for 25 years.

you can tell me your arc flash three year old story sometime.  I’ll tell you my 5 year old irrational number story sometime... then we can fly!

Erik, browse here. The only physics (other than E&E) that I ever liked was quantum mechanics and this semester I started a course in it for EEs. Gonna be fun, the physics department is upset, but the way we do it and the way they do it are different.

Ok, time to move to private messaging...  ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HRM said:

Erik, browse here. The only physics (other than E&E) that I ever liked was quantum mechanics and this semester I started a course in it for EEs. Gonna be fun, the physics department is upset, but the way we do it and the way they do it are different.

Ok, time to move to private messaging...  ;)

...ok over to private...

but before I do - the socks - do you wear the finger socks?  I always have a hard time finding matching socks - so long ago I solved the problem by buying a big pile of identical socks.  Grab two and go.  One less thing...