Today's flight for 2018

bonal

Man, @aviatoreb, now I really miss fly fishing in Yellowstone! Season opens this week . . . . The one time I was there in my Mooney, I was too busy chauffeuring mynwife around to fish, and Fire TFRs kept me from overflying the Park. 

See if you can get a good picture of Paradise Valley, I have some nice ones from the side of the road.

Which rivers are ya'll fishing?

I made this for Dad a few years ago, where we fished out West.

20140420_113003.thumb.jpg.04febcb382e23af2cad0ca2b73dd11b4.jpg

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

Erik- most photos don't do justice to Montana and it's "Big Sky."  Yours do.  Very nice!

Thanks so much!  It’s all lighting and framing.  I have my bike with me and I just ride around soaking in the view and when I like the angle and the light I stop and take the shot.  I got a nice llama farm too.

1A1CE3A9-A223-4E1F-BA38-65FCA5DD7C8F.jpeg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Man, @aviatoreb, now I really miss fly fishing in Yellowstone! Season opens this week . . . . The one time I was there in my Mooney, I was too busy chauffeuring mynwife around to fish, and Fire TFRs kept me from overflying the Park. 

See if you can get a good picture of Paradise Valley, I have some nice ones from the side of the road.

Which rivers are ya'll fishing?

I made this for Dad a few years ago, where we fished out West.

20140420_113003.thumb.jpg.04febcb382e23af2cad0ca2b73dd11b4.jpg

Hey hank - well I’m here mostly for work and my son tagged along.  He’s the big fisherman and I’m his ride / ever since he was little he loved fishingband got me into it. Remember we live in the Adirondack region and fishing is great right where he grew up.  Anyway we came to this hobby where I fly / he fishes - fly fishing!  Today we arrived and we brought bikes. I fished for an hour and did some bike riding too - he’s hard core and can fish every day for weeks.

So that’s the Madison today / good fishing he got his first fish in like 45 sec!  He says it’s 10,000 trout per mile.  He says the gallitan is fishing well by reports this week to.  Maybe yellow stone.  Plan is I do my work during the day and he’ll fish around town then we’ll head out to the bigger rivers for evening hatch.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mooney in Oz said:

@aviatoreb That is the first picture I've seen of a Mooney with a 4 blade prop. Man I like the look of it.

How is the performance compared to a 3 blade or a 2 blade?

It’s good!  I’ve written a detailed report on the prop upgrade mt 4 blade - I’ll fish my review out for you.

Flew up to Big Bear on the 4th. It was my first time landing there, although I have flown over it a couple of times. The density altitude when we left was 8,780' but I was pleasantly surprised to see that we were off the ground at about 1,300' of ground run and seeing about 300 fpm climb.

http://intothesky.us/2018/07/04/july-4th-big-bear-ca/

20180704_091053.thumb.jpg.3be435b7e26cf2684a7c102edb2b2dd2.jpg20180704_101825.thumb.jpg.82e5a8a7420c6fde2501e00da202a33f.jpg20180704_102007.thumb.jpg.bde17ca29ac2393534ae32dfe9d1284c.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

Flew up to Big Bear on the 4th. It was my first time landing there, although I have flown over it a couple of times. The density altitude when we left was 8,780' but I was pleasantly surprised to see that we were off the ground at about 1,300' of ground run and seeing about 300 fpm climb.

http://intothesky.us/2018/07/04/july-4th-big-bear-ca/

20180704_091053.thumb.jpg.3be435b7e26cf2684a7c102edb2b2dd2.jpg20180704_101825.thumb.jpg.82e5a8a7420c6fde2501e00da202a33f.jpg20180704_102007.thumb.jpg.bde17ca29ac2393534ae32dfe9d1284c.jpg

Great smiles!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

@aviatoreb That is the first picture I've seen of a Mooney with a 4 blade prop. Man I like the look of it.

How is the performance compared to a 3 blade or a 2 blade?

7 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

It’s good!  I’ve written a detailed report on the prop upgrade mt 4 blade - I’ll fish my review out for you.

Ah, he doesn't like it at all.  He's going to take it off and trade me for my standard Rocket prop!!  I've been waiting for a while though.............

Tom

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My Boy and I made a trip to Houston to see a ball game. Yes the Astros won. We landed on the south side at Pearland. Decent little non towered airport with plenty training going on.  We had plenty build up on the way back on Sunday. We also were able to park next to a Mooney on the ramp.

1824641648_Houston2.jpg.6f9faa891058333b22ebd789c65c51fd.jpg2102657972_Houston1.jpg.4f9b0d08e2cd953e2b2acf2e43d6f5c8.jpg666446386_Houston3.thumb.jpg.f9abad0ef6c879a89c1546c7f05637d5.jpgHouston.jpg.02da2fc4bcc03dc2af3df1fee81345f0.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Thanks Erik.  If these are the same reviews, I just found and read reviews you wrote in the form of answers in the 'MT 3 Blade Composite Prop' thread, which I guess I should've used the Search function initially to find.  The pros and cons seem to be similar to the 3 blade.

The picture of the full frontal in that thread is even better.  I could look at that all day! (Yeah, yeah I know.  I need to get a life!)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Flew up to Big Bear on the 4th

Nice pic and video Richard.

While you were there, did you happen to notice a paint shop and if so, the name? About 15 years ago when I was a part of the Mooney Mail (email) group, which a few MS's would have also been members around that time. One of those members who was also a Mooney owner just started a paint shop at Big Bear and over the years I had quite a few electronic conversations with him.  A very nice fellow who invited me to stay at his place if I ever visited the USA, but I cannot remember his name.

BTW: Your video ended how all Mooney vids should - a nice landing and pretty well on the runway centre line. 

On 7/8/2018 at 7:21 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Arriving KAVL. As the tug was pulling up at Signature, the line manager got down on hands and knees to check my front gear linkage for dents. Obviously he knows about towing Mooneys. And I like that. :D

Yea, because earlier this year they destroyed the front end of a mooney so badly, they refused to touch mine when I landed there the following weekend.  They said their new policy was not to touch any Mooneys, though they still charged the hell out of me for ramp service.  

• Like 1

I was in AVL over Father's Day weekend. They wouldn't tow me because I haven't added the tow limit indicator. So I had a 1/2 mile taxi and they drove me back. Hertz picked the car up when I left, for half the price of the folks inside the FBO.

There was a $29 handling fee, waived since I filled up at the self serve pump. $13/night tie down, plus $5 Security Fee. Self Serve was $5.02, versus >$7.50 if they pumped it. 

Not as bad as I was afraid it would be. But more than Millionaire used to charge there. So i didn't feel bad about grabbing cold water bottles on the way out.

11 hours ago, Hank said:

I was in AVL over Father's Day weekend. They wouldn't tow me because I haven't added the tow limit indicator. So I had a 1/2 mile taxi and they drove me back. Hertz picked the car up when I left, for half the price of the folks inside the FBO.

There was a $29 handling fee, waived since I filled up at the self serve pump. $13/night tie down, plus $5 Security Fee. Self Serve was $5.02, versus >$7.50 if they pumped it. 

Not as bad as I was afraid it would be. But more than Millionaire used to charge there. So i didn't feel bad about grabbing cold water bottles on the way out.

AOPA made several written formal complaints to the FAA about signature at KAVL and a few other FBOs around the country regarding all the fees on public ramps.   It’s been about a year now and it seems no change.   Because of signature, I choose to spend our tourism dollars in other cities.   ;)

4 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

AOPA made several written formal complaints to the FAA about signature at KAVL and a few other FBOs around the country regarding all the fees on public ramps.   It’s been about a year now and it seems no change.   Because of signature, I choose to spend our tourism dollars in other cities.   ;)

Did you reach out to the Chamber of Commerce? Let them know how many times you went elsewhere, and why.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hank said:

Did you reach out to the Chamber of Commerce? Let them know how many times you went elsewhere, and why.

No, but good idea.  I don’t know if the COC would have any sway on that ramp monopoly though.  I called the airport authority and asked them to designate a public parking area on the ramp.    It’s a HUGE ramp too!

On 7/9/2018 at 6:54 AM, Mooney in Oz said:

Nice pic and video Richard.

While you were there, did you happen to notice a paint shop and if so, the name? About 15 years ago when I was a part of the Mooney Mail (email) group, which a few MS's would have also been members around that time. One of those members who was also a Mooney owner just started a paint shop at Big Bear and over the years I had quite a few electronic conversations with him.  A very nice fellow who invited me to stay at his place if I ever visited the USA, but I cannot remember his name.

BTW: Your video ended how all Mooney vids should - a nice landing and pretty well on the runway centre line. 

I didn't but will look the next time I go back. The landing was one of my better ones. If I am going into someplace for the first time or someplace a little more challenging short/narrow my landings are much better than some of the ones at my home airport. I know it's because I am not as relaxed and focusing more, a lesson to always remain focused even if it's someplace we've landed a 100+ times...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skates97 said:

If I am going into someplace for the first time or someplace a little more challenging short/narrow my landings are much better than some of the ones at my home airport. I know it's because I am not as relaxed and focusing more, a lesson to always remain focused even if it's someplace we've landed a 100+ times...

My wife noticed the same thing about me, especially if it is an instrument approach down to near minimums. She felt it was a much better landing. Made me realize I was getting too comfortable with my home airport, so I had to notch up the focus a bit.

• Like 2

Bought this J in March, but didn't get a chance to go on a trip until a couple of weeks ago due to work commitments.  Flew a triangle in the Southwest: San Diego - Las Vegas - Bryce Canyon - Santa Fe, NM - Sedona, AZ - San Diego.  Mod. turbulence on each leg, gusty winds and density altitude landings and departures had me worried that the wife would never want to go on another trip.  Fortunately she's now hopelessly addicted to airplane ownership and is itching to go on another trip.  Neither of us had been to Bryce Canyon before; jaw dropping views, pictures don't do it justice, and we were both very taken with Santa Fe, and will definitely visit again.  Landing in Sedona is a blast, and was my first time landing there in 16 years.  Fun route as the longest leg is only about 2 hours.  Here are a couple of pictures of our 201 parked up at BCE and SEZ.

20180702_111744.thumb.jpg.9744d88f60e15a403418af00ff9838ef.jpg20180701_154346.thumb.jpg.9aca424c869ef18a2d2f73cb322b166f.jpg20180701_114601.thumb.jpg.00b5a01f16c5bd5fe557cdd230b21603.jpg2018-06-29_09-15-22_590.thumb.jpeg.8e114dac7579a368160c8356a0abc2a5.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

My friend and his wife bought a car in Nampa Idaho. It’s about a three hour drive, step in their friend with a Mooney and cut their trip down to an hour. And the Honda dealer was just down the road from the airport. Good times, and I got to park next to a 201 when we got there.
1af7917404e98b3fbb3d9db6e767d31d.jpg
d2629532f36e4960c470fd9d00d2e24c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

It wasn't today... or me at the controls but it was fun to vacation on the outer banks in North Carolina for the past two weeks! Flying around the Wright Brothers National Memorial in Kill Devil Hills and KFFA is a must do!

IMG_1515.JPG.301c8201409bc55e1210c6445e9ccc6a.JPG

• Like 7