Today's flight for 2018

bonal

Flew the better half over to KRDM. She has some training tomorrow. I flew home and will pick her up tomorrow. This is her first night away from our three month old baby girl. And in turn my first night taking care of her alone......:) scary to think about it I know. But the Mooney turns a six hour round trip car ride into an hour and fifty minute flight. I got a nice night Flight out of the deal too. Still getting use to the new avionics and the sensitivity of the G5

111bba3f74cd8fa98f62f2df93d97154.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Charles remember this....

One day you will look back, Baby G will be headed to college...

You will be up writing a similar note to the next MSer.   :)

Go Mooney Dad’s!

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you and I look forward to every moment of it:)

• Like 3

Time flies! Our youngest (of three) just graduated from college, got a job and moved 4 hrs away, luckily it's only an hour flight by Mooney which made my wife very happy.  When we helped him look for places to live she urged him to live near the airport. ;)

Enjoy every minute while they are young because they will be flying from the nest before you know it.

• Like 6

DVT-PEQ-SSF today.  Headed to Orlando on Sunday.  This is what it looks like in my plane anytime we fly more than about an hour...

Felt like a moron at one point though.  Filed IFR PEQ-SSF (even scored some actual!).  Coming into the San Antonio area, the approach controller asked what my intentions were at SSF.  Like an idiot I said "well, to land." I swear I could hear half the room cracking up when she came back and said "I meant what approach would you like".  Ha ha ha.

20180629_080201.jpg

20180629_080212.jpg

• Like 7

Flew into Bend Oregon to do some IFR training. Beautiful Flight coming over. Morning temps made for nice engine performance and smooth air. Normally I’m the lone Mooney in the tie downs. But today I am getting to share it with two other Mooney’s...:)
17b696c105a06b1e4f192f22723b7d2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Our summer trip started yesterday. And there's just nothing interesting to report flying from 84R Smithville, TX to KLNK Lincoln, NE. 

Today was a bit more interesting as we launched at noon with lots of weather across our path north. The intention was Lincoln to Winnipeg. We'd filed for 12K. Neither the wife or the dog are super keen on wearing O2 masks so I thought we'd try 12K. It turned out 10K was a bit better and kept us below the heavy stuff. That worked out for awhile but with heavy precip falling out of dark clouds in front of us and blue sky tempting us peaking through from above, I thought we'd try to get over it. I asked for 16K and started climbing. As it turned out, 16K was the worst idea ever. It put us right in the middle of the weather, IMC, at 32 degrees F. I immediately let Center know that we'd be going down to 14K because of icing. But not before the windshield iced over, the pitot stopped up, Aspen went off line, ASI is reading 40 knots, and Bitching Betty is yelling at me to check gear. Oh and the Autopilot basically said, "your airplane" and switched off. This is why we have backups. I'm hand flying the descent using the G5, flipping on the Pitot heat, and Prop heat.  At 14K we're still IMC but my instruments are back, I turn the flying back over to the autopilot, and the OAT is 36. Another few minutes and we break out and we're past the weather. I ask for 12K again and we're back in business.

Somewhere over North Dakota between Fargo and Grand Forks.

IMG_2049.thumb.jpg.af014560806982490cb112c10356b0e1.jpg

And this Texas Mooney is on the ramp in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Tomorrow Churchill. But there isn't any AvGas in Churchill so we'll go to Gillam to fuel up. Then to Churchill.

IMG_2051.jpg

• Like 2

Another flight to Pasco, WA across the Cascade Mts.  85 degrees when I left Pasco to return home. 60 degrees at home.  Nice tailwind on the way over. 35 kt. headwind on the way back.  Between layers Olympic Mountains & Mt Rainier.

946E8682-81FE-4114-A566-9276F74697F1.jpeg

0587C098-7494-41E0-A8FF-5EC2DC38C6E8.jpeg

4FA86F41-8E11-4FA3-AB86-E0823239D8BF.jpeg

8B86D5A6-0DFA-4FF5-8C75-871A2DFB5F85.jpeg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Our summer trip started yesterday. And there's just nothing interesting to report flying from 84R Smithville, TX to KLNK Lincoln, NE. 

Today was a bit more interesting as we launched at noon with lots of weather across our path north. The intention was Lincoln to Winnipeg. We'd filed for 12K. Neither the wife or the dog are super keen on wearing O2 masks so I thought we'd try 12K. It turned out 10K was a bit better and kept us below the heavy stuff. That worked out for awhile but with heavy precip falling out of dark clouds in front of us and blue sky tempting us peaking through from above, I thought we'd try to get over it. I asked for 16K and started climbing. As it turned out, 16K was the worst idea ever. It put us right in the middle of the weather, IMC, at 32 degrees F. I immediately let Center know that we'd be going down to 14K because of icing. But not before the windshield iced over, the pitot stopped up, Aspen went off line, ASI is reading 40 knots, and Bitching Betty is yelling at me to check gear. Oh and the Autopilot basically said, "your airplane" and switched off. This is why we have backups. I'm hand flying the descent using the G5, flipping on the Pitot heat, and Prop heat.  At 14K we're still IMC but my instruments are back, I turn the flying back over to the autopilot, and the OAT is 36. Another few minutes and we break out and we're past the weather. I ask for 12K again and we're back in business.

And this Texas Mooney is on the ramp in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Tomorrow Churchill. But there isn't any AvGas in Churchill so we'll go to Gillam to fuel up. Then to Churchill.

IMG_2051.jpg

I've been watching you the last few days, wondering how you were doing with the weather.  Looks like you'll get some temperature relief while you are in Churchill!!

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ragedracer1977 said:

KSSF-KPQL-KORL today.  Over 2 hours actual.  .5 of that with no GPS.  don't know what happened (no NOTAMS) but I lost satellites on both the 430 and the Stratus.  Got to hand fly VOR's in the soup.  Made me feel like a real pilot!

I never file VOR to VOR but I always back up with raw NAVAIDS just in case.  They may not be directly on my route but it’s easy enough to intercept an airway.

I do love GPS direct though

• Like 1

Today's flight was Winnipeg to Churchill via Thompson. 100LL isn't available in Churchill so I needed to stop in Thompson to fill up so we could get to Churchill and back out to the nearest fuel.

Step 1 was to file IFR to Thompson and Churchill. The weather was clear in Winnipeg but forecast to be low IFR in both other locations. Evidently all flights of more than 50 miles in Canada require a flight plan. So if I have to file, it might as well be IFR. Filing in Canada was done the old fashioned way by calling Flight Services for a weather brief and to file. We departed Winnipeg IFR and headed north. During the flight to Thompson there were a few places where Winnipeg Center told me to call them back on a different freq 50 miles later. There are some huge areas of Canada not served by Radar or Center Radio. We ended up shooting the ILS into Thompson and a quick stop for fuel. The back in the air for the 1 hour to Churchill.

Crossing Lake Winnipeg. We flew north over this lake for about an hour. But were never out of range of the shore.

IMG_2057.thumb.JPG.5ad7237951a63802edc7b2520dd006f0.JPG

Here comes the forecast low clouds.

IMG_2058.thumb.JPG.5a6afae012aaee7b8e5068d050be07c5.JPG

On the apron in Thompson.

IMG_2060.thumb.JPG.aecf5085b545851dd4e02d81d2ddaebf.JPG

Between Thompson and Churchill I was at 10K and got into some actual IMC. We also got into a bit of ice. I was ready for it this time and had the pitot and prop heat on just incase. I spotted just a bit on the wing and immediately started down. I checked in with Center and told them we were descending 1000 ft for ice. OAT was showing 2, but we got a little ice none the less.

IMG_2064.thumb.JPG.015047c75119dccb7db75c23cfc5111c.JPG

We eventually broke out and landed Churchill under clear skies. We're the only airplane on the entire ramp at Churchill.

IMG_2065.thumb.JPG.c33bbe06978463e94a57e4148a618fdb.JPG

We are 1728 miles from home and about 60 degrees cooler. 

Mooneys - made to travel.

• Like 2

So we're the only airplane in Churchill today. The airport is closed as it's Canada Day. Transient parking, according to Churchill radio, is on the far end of the ramp or Apron as it's called up here. There are no anchors in the ramp itself but there were a number of these "portable" anchors on the edge of the pavement. They are obviously not in proper position for tying down an airplane.

IMG_2066.thumb.JPG.26692f949e5017d9d88ae5cf685e0acf.JPG

But over in the dirt, not too far away, I found the implement for moving them.

IMG_2069.thumb.JPG.e503a69684d57bcf7626ebea2e486a67.JPG

Sure enough, it works.

IMG_2068.JPG.b347ac919a9dc149058d64ee7fd173ba.thumb.JPG.af1da68cdd93ca2701ccb5d6670e6b38.JPG

All tied down for two nights on the ramp.

IMG_2071.thumb.JPG.d46db13e83a3f8f83eff7062de51151d.JPG

And no more flying today.

IMG_2074.JPG.9c41657942267be315cf16fab83941ea.thumb.JPG.c217ad1e203a5378f6b90fbff38ad05d.JPG

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

OAT was showing 2, but we got a little ice none the less.

Paul,

In my professional life, if the temp is 5 C or less with visible moisture we turn on all anti/deice.  In my Mooney I only have pitot heat, so I avoid the moisture at those temps if practical. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm having a hard time keeping up with the trip report here... we're just having too much fun to stop to post about it. But a quick summary...

Day 1 - Austin to Lincoln
Day 2 - Lincoln to Winnipeg
Day 3 - Winnipeg to Churchill (2 days)
Day 5 - Churchill to International Falls, MN (3 days)
Day 8 - International Falls to Iron Mountain ( @Yooper Rocketman Turbine Lancair) to Mackinac County.
Day 9 - Mackinac Island and back.
Day 10 - Mackinac Co. to Asheville, NC.

We took off out of 84D with half tanks of fuel. The runway is shortish with trees on the end and slightly rising terrain. And we were fully loaded. That meant a quick stop for cheap fuel just across the Mackinac Straights. Then the rest of the way to Asheville. These Mooneys are such good traveling machines.

Arriving KAVL. As the tug was pulling up at Signature, the line manager got down on hands and knees to check my front gear linkage for dents. Obviously he knows about towing Mooneys. And I like that. :D
IMG_5372.thumb.jpg.59deee40e81274d49b1ffefe4b2f111c.jpg

• Like 3