Today's flight for 2018

bonal

Went to the Jandakot airport this weekend (Perth Australia). Pleasantly surprised to see a Mooney proudly displayed on the way in.  I rented a plane and flew around Perth and up the coast.  Absolutely beautiful coast and fun experience.  One more continent to add to my flight log.

Thanks to everyone that provided advice on flying here.

1723E30C-723B-4172-8220-6394F413C294.jpeg

71B677A0-186F-4637-B17E-46DB17DDD38B.jpeg

CE4BE570-4086-4040-83EE-D22B19C53809.jpeg

• Like 5

So behind posting flights... Had to finally pull the AI and send it out for overhaul along with the altimeter that decided to start sticking on descent on our way back from Phoenix on Mother's Day. After putting them back in and having my AP/IA sign the logbook I took her up for a short flight over to Redlands. 

http://intothesky.us/2018/05/25/redlands-for-fun/

20180525_190528.thumb.jpg.23a18239f1fdd944e18c4553e3fce6a7.jpg20180525_192453.thumb.jpg.fd7abf01e1ca7b887812497f42165907.jpg20180525_194139.thumb.jpg.59b8b4820c90a3267cb2b796e9159859.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Today was a great day. Started cloudy and low, but I took the convertible to meet the car club at an art show on the lake; before lunch, it was mostly blue skies and getting warm (mid 80s).

20180526_091058.thumb.jpg.0e81acda81c930668ef992c5f31399a9.jpg

Then I went to the airport for a quick flight and ended up taking a friend to ride--the joys of not having fuel at your home field.

20180526_152551.thumb.jpg.882f61c5a02b37ebdbfb2712fa15d970.jpg

Despite multiple "VFR not recommended" cautions, no rain or TCs were visible from the ground or out the windows at 3000 msl (field elevation 326 msl), the air was smooth and temp was quite bearable.

Returned home to a cookout at the neighborhood pool, with great pork loin, grilled chicken and cold beer. 

A really good day!!

Edited by Hank
  • Like 7

On Thursday I flew across the Cascades to pick my daughter up for a Memorial Day visit.  Landed at 2S5 (Waterville, WA), the closest airport to Daroga State Park where she works.  Most of the traffic there is crop dusters.  I took her back today.  There  was a sail plane sitting at the end of the runway waiting for a tow plane to take him back to Ephrata.  @adverseyaw I heard you call Seattle Center for your clearance over Wenatchee to Boeing Field as I was about 10 miles out from Waterville. Recognized the 201XG callsign immediately. 

A78605C3-F0E2-47A8-A040-0D466FE3DC76.jpeg

4A31FA61-A9D7-4652-BFE7-CCBD3A0275B5.jpeg

1691E698-F90D-4A40-8456-40ACD9E2406C.jpeg

D7A08AAE-0151-4C55-8831-464ECEDA6703.jpeg

C46205AA-57D2-461A-973F-A2B9EF683B2E.jpeg

• Like 7

Hot & steamy in Southeast Texas this morning. I am staying close to long runways until I break the new jug in a bit more. The E flew like she always does, beautifully. After about 45 minutes I called ATC and said "I'm ready to come in, tired of dodging clouds!" On the drive home I saw a steam vent tower from one of the plants producing a cloud right in front of my eyes! Anyway, I was asked to go direct to the numbers on 30 because the morning flight from DFW (American) was coming in. Now we have ATC pestering and distracting the pilot, disturbing the tranquility of the sterile cockpit. So I am coming in, density altitude is 1500', hot and humid as the beejeezus and I get "76Q can you take Echo and get clear before the Embraer?" Well yeah, but then BOUNCE. Well, little bounce, not enough to go around or cause a prop strike, but a bounce nonetheless. I hate less than perfect landings, would have been perfect without the distraction :P

local_flight_27_may_2018.jpg.51269a0cc2c80472a243d597518357db.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 1:45 PM, bonal said:

On another note yesterday was my first day in retirement after a 35 year career in an extremely demanding and stressful job. Looking forward to what the future holds.

Stay healthy and you'll have lots of great flying! I am really looking forward to my retirement flying, so much of the 'bucket list' involves it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, amillet said:

@adverseyaw I heard you call Seattle Center for your clearance over Wenatchee to Boeing Field as I was about 10 miles out from Waterville. Recognized the 201XG callsign immediately. 

;-)

Likely my CFII on the radio. We had a glider on the runway at Wenatchee as well.

P.S. I checked the roster at the B2OSH clinic coming up, saw your name there, so looks like I'll see you soon!

• Like 1

Thank you for your service Jo and all the others who serve and especially those that gave their all.  got my Stars and Stripes proudly displayed out front 

image.jpeg

Edited by bonal
  • Like 3

I didn't make it up for a flight today, my oldest daughter is down visiting with two of our grandkids and they wanted to go to the beach. However, today marks two years to the day that I took my first flight. Two years later I have 242.0 total hours, 181.4 hours in my Mooney and 161.9 hours of those have been cross country over 50nm. Mooneys were meant for travelling. B)

• Like 5

Well we have been trying to get out to Lincoln for a ECI on our A hub. For the past weeks there has been very unstable weather with lots of building turbulent air resulting in TS but now we are into high pressure and summer weather looks to be moving in.  Very hazy but still had visibility out past 50 miles.  Nice to get the inspection done and am now good for another 100 hours.  Snoopy running fine as always  but with the temps in the 90's I am having to adjust to the hotter days.  As we were crossing the numbers about 30 or 40ft agl with very little wind indicated speed 75 to 80mph and slowing the bottom just fell out I mean we had zero lift I was able to catch it just before we hit with a shout from the stall horn ending in a not too bad of a bounce held it off and set down gently after that.  Never have I experienced such a loss of lift. Sight picture of the runway was normal and I made no change to power. Weird.  Of course I was thinking of the recently deceased pilot and his wife and that Lincoln was their home base.

image.jpeg

Edited by bonal
  • Like 3

Well we have been trying to get out to Lincoln for a ECI on our A hub. For the past weeks there has been very unstable weather with lots of building turbulent air resulting in TS but now we are into high pressure and summer weather looks to be moving in.  Very hazy but still had visibility out past 50 miles.  Nice to get the inspection done and am now good for another 100 hours.  Snoopy running fine as always  but with the temps in the 90's I am having to adjust to the hotter days.  As we were crossing the numbers about 30 or 40ft agl with very little wind indicated speed 75 to 80mph and slowing the bottom just fell out I mean we had zero lift I was able to catch it just before we hit with a shout from the stall horn ending in a not too bad of a bounce held it off and set down gently after that.  Never have I experienced such a loss of lift. Sight picture of the runway was normal and I made no change to power. Weird.  Of course I was thinking of the recently deceased pilot and his wife and that Lincoln was their home base.
image.thumb.jpeg.296f5eba3325366d26946c941e078225.jpeg

Beautiful. Here is what the mid Atlantic looked like yesterday.

ac307c5771d2f3e5d4c21078831c4236.jpg

Always nice to have a backup on a “VFR” day.

e7413a1ebc3cd1b11e6734bfe07e1657.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

On 5/23/2018 at 11:44 PM, Warren said:

71B677A0-186F-4637-B17E-46DB17DDD38B.jpeg

I'm imagining one of those on a pivoting mount, so it will act as a wind vane - and maybe mounted on top of my house.  What do you guys think?  How do I sell that to my wife?  

Anyone have an old tired mooney they can lend me?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I went to Fredericton, NB this weekend for a conference...and came back.  Friday when I went I left a bit earlier in the day than I might have, to beat the storms that were going to blow in, which turned out to be a good call.  There were a few storms building up enroute and cloud layer with bases at 2-3k and tops at 9k, and I was at 15500 which was a nice place to enjoy the sunshine and easily steer clear of any build ups to a severe clear arrival at CYFC.  Yay CANPASS.

I had never been but Fredericton is really a nice town on the river.  Lot's of nice shops and restaurants and classic but well kept old homes.  And I brought my folder bike and there is a really nice rails to trails bike path for miles and miles along the river.  Plus across the river there is a dedicated walking/bike bridge.  The town is actually half and half on both sides of the river.  ...and I got some work done and went to the conference.

There is a picture of bacon wrapped scallops by the river. Another picture of sushi at a Korean restaurant - bacon sushi!  Everything is good with bacon.  Plus spicy-bim-bim-bap.

Returned this morning - there is a picture of me looking across the wing right at the border between New Brunswick and Maine.  Then I did customs at Bangor, ME.  And I borrowed the car and went and got some lobsters.  Bangor is really a nice town too with canals running through town.

E

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Flew against a big headwind to KC on Monday (LOP and stretched it out for the first three hours, then 2500/25 to get Missouri under the belly quickly).  I was able to leave KC on the same day (instead of spending the night - Win!) and able to head to Marion, Ind to see family.  Spent the night in Indiana.  The next evening, I picked my way through some rain from Marion back into Cincinnati Lunken.  Just another confirmation that Mooney's are time machines! Photo of KC and somewhere over Indiana. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 4