Today's flight for 2018

bonal

Haven’t had a good flight to post about but this weekend was filled with good flights, friends, and working on planes. Who could ask for more:)

Left home Saturday morning for Sacramento to help @thinwing with his annual and enjoy some California sunshine. My white legs had not seen sun since last September! Just under six hours of flight time round trip I put 51.2 gallons in the plane. A terrible head wind on the way there and some fun turbulence on the way back I didn’t make as good of time as I could have. But flying time is still flying time! 

Oh oh yeah it was the first night I had spend away from my new baby girl. But her mommy made sure I got lots and lots of pictures of them while I was gone. “Dad problems”....

I got to see a famous M20C before I left KSAC. Mr. Painter’s old plane looks like it lives there. Hope the new owner is on here. 

3D2C1248-6ABA-404F-9924-FBB9624396AD.jpeg

853FE8E4-A1C1-43B3-98DB-F4A68E1F6C2F.jpeg

E6DC8884-44C3-40EF-BE9C-F55DEB710D26.jpeg

F42DC14A-9256-4F6A-8BAC-906FAC49B60F.jpeg

55484D4A-6A68-443C-9801-13982A265594.jpeg

171078B2-9898-4400-B541-E3D244C52A1F.jpeg

49E7334B-3FED-44D2-A122-A9C1C73AE764.jpeg

1B6C963A-0AAF-4AA3-9106-5F509CEE5837.jpeg

C2B816A9-50B2-482E-BC45-44A0216F8658.jpeg

268D7BAF-1F47-4CE1-96DA-C7A2DC4FA341.jpeg

DA2B2838-F683-4007-8F36-7B4005FEA62C.jpeg

97A24B25-784A-49CD-838B-94C63B578837.jpeg

8B2441B1-6030-4803-B80F-B34379EE59AF.jpeg

• Like 6

Great pic of Bryan’s bird!  Hard to recognize on a smooth hard surface!

And ThinWing’s thin wing!  :)

Thanks for sharing.

Great reminder too, always good to leave similar post it notes while you are gone flying...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

Hey Charles ,nice legs !....I probably should have picked up all the greasy blue shop towels before you took the Hangar photo...wife thinks I'm messy enough.The IA is going to do final inspection this pm than I can button everything up and get her off the jacks.Really enjoyed working with you this weekend...you asked how long a Bravo annual takes..I added up mine,yours,and Davids hours up Friday thru Sunday and it came out to be 50 man hours not including the IA and 3/4 hrs to button up.Also not included is AD/Service Bullitin research and dual Avidyne software upgrade.So a shop using 1 full time mechanic and a occasional helper ,I'd say about a week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thinwing said:

Hey Charles ,nice legs !....I probably should have picked up all the greasy blue shop towels before you took the Hangar photo...wife thinks I'm messy enough.The IA is going to do final inspection this pm than I can button everything up and get her off the jacks.Really enjoyed working with you this weekend...you asked how long a Bravo annual takes..I added up mine,yours,and Davids hours up Friday thru Sunday and it came out to be 50 man hours not including the IA and 3/4 hrs to button up.Also not included is AD/Service Bullitin research and dual Avidyne software upgrade.So a shop using 1 full time mechanic and a occasional helper ,I'd say about a week.

It was great times, I wish I could have stayed longer and learned more. 

• Like 1

I can relate, Hank.  I flew airline to my dealer meeting in New Orleans last week on Monday, out of Green Bay (through Chicago) because my airport is shut down for runway rehabilitation.  Due to the drive time and budgeted TSA time, by the point I was sitting in my seat in Green Bay I would have been on the ground in New Orleans.  The trip back was the one to remember though.  Thunderstorms hanging around Chicago last Wednesday afternoon/evening during my return caused 5 announced delays, 5 gate changes, over 5 hours, and then by midnight an outright cancellation of my flight with an offer to re-book a day later.  It was rental car to Green Bay (at a hefty price since it was being left there, not in Chicago).

My office is along the way of my drive back from Green Bay so I stopped in for a few minutes (about 9 AM now the next day) to update my staff why I wouldn't be in on that day.  It definitely got the office staff nervous, me showing up in a 3 piece suit, wondering if the office dress was about to change.  A quick explanation that I'm still wearing the clothes I put on 28 hours ago in New Orleans for my Wednesday AM meeting and I've had no sleep in that time frame either.

My only regret is that the wife was not with me.  She STILL thinks airline is the way to go.  She would have had a nut putting up with the travel that day.  Had I flown home in the Mooney, I could have deviated 50 miles east of ORD and been home for supper.

Tom

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, thinwing said:

That is truely epic...didn't airport admin inform you of the runway closure ?

Oh, we knew it was coming.  But the smaller runway (3800') was originally only going to be down a couple days, while the air carrier one (6500' x 150') was for over two weeks.  That changed last minute to 6 days down on the smaller one, right smack in the middle of my trip.  We should be completely back open by Monday, with brand new blacktop.

Tom

My home airport recently made decision to remove one of our runways 16/34 ..they had earth moving trucks,reseeder machines...for a month...it's a short runway only 3400 or so and they left half of it due to runaway expense to remove and truck away old asphalt!It would have been cheaper to resurface the thing

My home drome is down right now with the runway being resurfaced and the taxiway getting some work done in it. The FBO has a big chunk of asphalt on the counter which was blown out after lightning struck the taxiway a while back. Plus, they are supposedly taking out the two dips that could get your prop if you were a little too fast on your taxiing.

Many of you have seen the hangar queen at the rear of my hangar on pictures I've posted of my Mooney or the Lancair in the hangar over the years.  Steve, my hangar partner and best friend, has put some time into it lately NOW THAT HE CAN GET A MEDICAL!  He's the A&P I work under on my certified planes and the reason my first "cross country airplane" became a Mooney.  So he repaired and upgraded his Garmin 430 to WAAS, installed an MT 3 blade prop to rid himself of the prop AD, and completed an annual and three flight tests (the last two of an hour or more).  This is the first time this plane has flown in several years, me being the last one, taking it to Mankato, MN when My Rocket was down for waste gate repairs.  

I wrote on a submission last summer, when he flew my Rocket up and back from Houghton for a day of Young Eagle Flights, "When you realize your best friend is a good stick" how impressed I was with how quickly he was back in the saddle after getting his Basic Med.  He had been fighting prohibitively expenses medicals for 12 years (getting a 9 month medical about every 4 years due to cost), which meant the nice little E model got lots of hangar time.  My posting of his abilities was shared (by him) with his nervous wife and she is now willing to travel with him.

Anyway, this afternoon they took off to see their son, daughter-in-law, and grand kids down in the Kansas City area, making a 12+ hour drive in just 3.5 hours (with a head wind).  I was pretty excited for him!!!  When he texted me after landing, I said to ask Patti (his wife) how she liked 3.5 hours in the plane instead of 12 hours plus in the car.  She said "I Like It!

Here's a picture of them firing up at the fuel pump for departure and a link to his Flight Aware track.

He'll be taking me down in the Rocket to Tennessee late next week to pick up the Lancair with it's new paint and interior.

Tom

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N1258X/history/20180510/1700Z/KIMT/KGPH

Steve 5-10-18.jpg

• Like 8

Tom I thought the airport was closed until next Tuesday. I was getting ready for departure last week to go there for a medical appointment and I just happened to see the NOTAM that both runways were closed! I'm guessing the shorter one is done now? I need to come out there next week again too.

**EDIT** Disregard - I just read your prior comments. I've been away for away and haven't caught up yet!

Anyway here was the purpose of my night flying (this is two for two that was born while I was out of town and Dee Dee the Mooney was able to safely get me to be with...).  I must confess I deviated from standard procedure and ran 75 ROP 162 ktas at 11.8 GPH and 8000ft.  

FE5DF77A-367E-4BEB-A2C2-0B1688245362.jpeg

• Like 15

Well Sunday was a much needed supply run and we really loaded Snoopy with lots of goods.  The trip out was smoother than expected as the west winds were creating some build ups over our eastern mountains but was easy to avoid by heading a bit south and crossing over a lower pass and then making a northern turn back towards our destination at WLW.  As we were climbing out on the return trip I noticed the engine was missing during climb but was making full power and temperatures were all normal once in cruise tried to adjust it out by going lean but it wasn't happening so just ran at a low power for the short trip home. Once I had the field made did an inflight mag check and dropped a cylinder on the right mag. Was too high on final so had to go around not something I wanted to do with the engine not right but it was clear my head was also missing and running a bit rough as well.  Landing was stiff as we had a 90 degree cross gusting to 20 and a pilot that was definitely off his game.  Spent the day yesterday pulling the plugs and found number one lower to be really fouled. 

All good as we made it home safe and sound but not my best performance for certain.

On another note yesterday was my first day in retirement after a 35 year career in an extremely demanding and stressful job. Looking forward to what the future holds.

• Like 10

Well Sunday was a much needed supply run and we really loaded Snoopy with lots of goods.  The trip out was smoother than expected as the west winds were creating some build ups over our eastern mountains but was easy to avoid by heading a bit south and crossing over a lower pass and then making a northern turn back towards our destination at WLW.  As we were climbing out on the return trip I noticed the engine was missing during climb but was making full power and temperatures were all normal once in cruise tried to adjust it out by going lean but it wasn't happening so just ran at a low power for the short trip home. Once I had the field made did an inflight mag check and dropped a cylinder on the right mag. Was too high on final so had to go around not something I wanted to do with the engine not right but it was clear my head was also missing and running a bit rough as well.  Landing was stiff as we had a 90 degree cross gusting to 20 and a pilot that was definitely off his game.  Spent the day yesterday pulling the plugs and found number one lower to be really fouled. 
All good as we made it home safe and sound but not my best performance for certain.
On another note yesterday was my first day in retirement after a 35 year career in an extremely demanding and stressful job. Looking forward to what the future holds.

Glad everything worked out. If you are looking for a retirement celebration Flight I’ll buy dinner if you come up to KGCD:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bonal said:

Congrats! #envious #livingvicariously 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bonal said:

Hey, how did that slip by....

Congrats and welcome to the other side....  :)

The future is bright!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Well it was a couple days ago and the mission was to get the ECI inspection done on our prop hub at Lincoln. The previous day's we have been getting some big buildups along the mountain ridge to our east with lightning.  When we were getting ready things looked ok to go and we thought we would bring our pup since we will be taking him with us more as we go on adventures. Once away things started looking less than ideal the bottoms were just about 2k above the mountains and I was already having to do some avoidance turns as the air began getting bumpy I was thinking how much worse it might get for the return and our pup was looking a little worried. So made the call and 180 back for home. As we made the turn I could see very few options with clouds forming in all directions so made the right call. Once on the ground contacted the folks doing the inspection to re schedule. This is twice now I have been unable to make the trip first time was low overcast and raining at destination so hopefully third time charm to get this done and be set for another hundred hours.

• Like 2