Today's flight for 2018

bonal

Well for today it was my flight review so my instructor and I made our way to STS for lunch. Once we cleared the ridge it was time for some slow flight maneuvers boy that sure does a number on the CHT then cleared to straight in for landing after a very disappointing BLT we started out departing 20 at about 300agl he took the controls so I could put on the hood for some instrument work then we did a bunch of heading and altitude changes tracked a couple vor's crossed the ridge towards home with more heading and descents until we were entering the pattern and on the midfield DW let me have my eyes outside again. Nice to be set for the next two years and now on the list is my ECI on the prop hub. Definitely want to do more hood time but at least I feel confident that if I were to fly into IMC I would be able to get out of it of course if I were I would engage the auto pilot and make my 180 with the heading bug on the panel. Doing all the hood time was a great workout today i imagine since I did the whole journey  unable to see out the window and was just following my instructors directions was kind of like being in IMC until we were at pattern altitude on the down wind and right on speed. Good times.

Just a small jaunt down to southern Delaware for some, now in season, Maryland crab cakes.

View of the Chesapeake Bay

b1149ae6af3cb785b11c82a905f89762.jpg

Ocean City Maryland off in the distance.

cf55db47df1ad347227b46a50720977a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Just a small jaunt down to southern Delaware for some, now in season, Maryland crab cakes.

You've done it now! @aviatoreb has been waiting for this, he'll be down anyday now to get him some!

• Like 2

Quick trip today supporting the not-so-quick  process of obtaining a PIN to fly into the Maryland 3 airports.  First filled out the application along with scans of documentation.  Today fingerprint collection by a TSA-vetted technician—I elected to use one at Harrisburg PA.  Next up, an in-person verification that I resemble my picture IDs. 

Nice spring day flight in the Mid-Atlantic area.  

5E26F377-1A86-47DD-B70B-5B7917A582AB.jpeg.b6755142effdb8bb78b1cd48acde9a76.jpeg

• Like 2

Beautiful weather in the Pacific Northwest but my flight today to go to my granddaughters softball games didn’t happen because I forgot to order oil filters last time I changed the oil. Drained the oil on Wednesday, removed the filter on Friday, then realized I didn’t have a new filter to put on.  My engine uses the CH48110-1 that has the male threaded fixture, which none of my hangar neighbors have.  Ordered a batch from Aircraft Spruce that should be here Thursday. 

• Like 1

Took a friend flying yesterday along with his daughter. She had never flown in a plane of any kind before. After some coastal flightseeing we had lunch in French Valley. After we had lunch I put her in the right seat and she got some time flying us around. If anyone is looking for a great time, find someone who hasn't flown GA before, or if you are lucky someone who has never flown before and take them up!

Her First Flight

20180421_114330(0).thumb.jpg.fae0be1e8fd71696a22ca12ed3faf498.jpg

20180421_143517.thumb.jpg.8100919f597cbc20e4b2a573044ac247.jpg

• Like 5

On 4/22/2018 at 9:16 AM, Hank said:

You've done it now! @aviatoreb has been waiting for this, he'll be down anyday now to get him some!

YES!!!

So I am due to go to UNC Chapel Hill in about a week (its a business trip but flexing the exact date around weather).

I bet the flight home could swing over the Eastern Shore of MD or VA.

Shoe me some Jimmies with Old Bay on em'!

• Like 2

On 4/22/2018 at 6:43 AM, Marauder said:

Do you have a good "land and eat" location that you frequent there?  Would make a nice weekend flight for the wife and I. 

• Like 3

Arenas on the field at KGED has great crab cakes and crab cake sandwiches (when in season). There are a bunch of restaurants in the Ocean City Maryland area (like Phillips). You would need to Uber over.

From my airport (N57) there is a great crab house complete with the required newspaper table cloth and wooden hammers only a couple miles down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Marauder said:

Arenas on the field at KGED has great crab cakes and crab cake sandwiches (when in season). There are a bunch of restaurants in the Ocean City Maryland area (like Phillips). You would need to Uber over.

From my airport (N57) there is a great crab house complete with the required newspaper table cloth and wooden hammers only a couple miles down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

N57 sounds great - I’m a newspaper on the table wooden hammer hard shell kinda guy - I grew up in Maryland and my grandfather used to takes me to crab shacks on the bay.

huh here’s a picture of me in a nose dive.

FEF3E1CF-58F9-4201-ABA5-18774BCC7DAB.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Hank said:

Closer, Erik! Can't see that beautiful new paint job sparkling in the sun!

Here's some more.  Somehow it doesn't photograph.  It is a chameleon color and the colors just don't seem to be true in photographs - ranging from medium blue to dark blue to almost black and often more like purple - at least not my photographs it really doesn't show as I see it in person.  And the sparkle is intense in the sunlight - remember I said there is a special micro-glass bead substance embedded in the mid clear coat that I have never seen on another airplane, or car, besides the usual metallic pearl in the paint color itself.  But that is not really photographic either.  The one picture of the wing sort of shows it.  Anyway heres some more.  There is also a double strip over the nose -Shelby Cobra style -which these pictures barely show.

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Here's some more.  Somehow it doesn't photograph.  It is a chameleon color and the colors just don't seem to be true in photographs - ranging from medium blue to dark blue to almost black and often more like purple - at least not my photographs it really doesn't show as I see it in person.  And the sparkle is intense in the sunlight - remember I said there is a special micro-glass bead substance embedded in the mid clear coat that I have never seen on another airplane, or car, besides the usual metallic pearl in the paint color itself.  But that is not really photographic either.  The one picture of the wing sort of shows it.  Anyway heres some more.  There is also a double strip over the nose -Shelby Cobra style -which these pictures barely show.

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

That airplane is breathtaking.  Someday I want to see it in person!

9 hours ago, M016576 said:

That airplane is breathtaking.  Someday I want to see it in person!

I would love that!  Its been just a little while since I last saw you...

I'll be with that little airplane (and my oldest son) at a conference in Bozeman, MT this summer....

I few Chad, the owner of Kubick Aviation, down to Kenosha, WI (KENW) to purchase a car for his son and then drive it back.  Very nice morning to fly and caught some tail winds on the way down.  After a several hour delay dealing with a check engine light on the purchase vehicle, I flew out after lunch to Antigo (KAIG) to pick up another Mooney pilot to pick up his recently repaired 252 at Chad's shop.  He needed to get it off our airport before it's closed for a couple weeks for runway resurfacing.  I ended up buying airline tickets out of Green Bay to New Orleans for a Dealer Meeting Monday through Wednesday for the same reason, couldn't fly back into my home airport on Wednesday.  Man I hate flying spam can!!

Here's a few photos of the flight.  First one is of the one of the 4 local power dams dumping energy over the spillway.  I bet the power company cringes when they have to do that.  The next one is West Bend on my way back from ENW.   Third picture is Lake Winnebago with the ice gone, while the Bay of Green Bay further north is still ice covered.  Fourth one is Fondulac Airport and the last one is Oshkosh, quietly waiting for the big July event!

Tom

4-28-18 Hyraulic Falls.jpg

4-28-18 West Bend.jpg

4-28-18 Lake Winnebago.jpg

4-28-18 Fondulac.jpg

4-28-18 Oshkosh.jpg

• Like 6

On 4/22/2018 at 6:45 PM, Skates97 said:

Took a friend flying yesterday along with his daughter. She had never flown in a plane of any kind before. After some coastal flightseeing we had lunch in French Valley. After we had lunch I put her in the right seat and she got some time flying us around. If anyone is looking for a great time, find someone who hasn't flown GA before, or if you are lucky someone who has never flown before and take them up!

Her First Flight

20180421_114330(0).thumb.jpg.fae0be1e8fd71696a22ca12ed3faf498.jpg

20180421_143517.thumb.jpg.8100919f597cbc20e4b2a573044ac247.jpg

My little girl will have someone to look up to!

• Like 3

Flew down to the coast with Dad to see his sister.   On the way back was my first time to spend some time at 7500.  Looked bumpy down low so climbed out to 7500 over the first set of clouds then back down to 5500 for the rest of the flight.

Dad played with the pulse oximeter. He was down to 91% after he found a finger that would register.   He was concerned, then I took mine and I was down to 94%   Interesting.   I did some deep breathing to see if I could get it back up.

Good to see my aunt and good seafood and fun to be Mooney fast.   It does not seem as fast up high.

IMG_20180428_151930.jpg

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 3