Electric Retractable Step Conversion

takair

27 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Seems cheaper and simpler just to cut the darned step off.

I think the electric upgrade is great.  My C and E had retractable steps & it was very cool to see the step slide into the fuselage as the engine started. The fixed step on my Ovation was, well, an inelegant step away from classy design.  

• Like 1

The existing step (65 and newer), if you were to raise it by hand... the spring quickly twists itself into a spiral.

A method of nature finding the lowest level of energy and messing around with a plane owner that doesn't have a maintenance manual...  :)

Finish writing the STC, offer to sell it to Mooney so the Long Bodies can get an elegant solution...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
13 minutes ago, vorlon1 said:

Whatever became of this effort? I'm very interested...

We have received FAA-PMA for manufacturing this conversion.  It is considered a minor alteration for installation by the FAA.  Send me a PM with your email and I can tell you more about it.  I will be tied up today, but will follow up later today.

Rob

1 hour ago, takair said:

We have received FAA-PMA for manufacturing this conversion.  It is considered a minor alteration for installation by the FAA.  Send me a PM with your email and I can tell you more about it.  I will be tied up today, but will follow up later today.

Rob

Cool

• Like 1

Got mine in the mail. Installing as annual progresses along with the Trutrac autopilot as soon as it is available. Got 2 new "Halo" headsets to go in also!

Have the uavionix left wingtip ADSB on the table ready to install also. Waiting for the right side "IN' solution as soon as it is available. 

Will have my Briitian Accutrac system for sale later this year. 

• Like 2

On 12/30/2017 at 10:54 PM, takair said:

I’ve not run into that before, but it would not like it.  Is it possible the oil or grease is just so congealed that the vacuum can’t muscle through?  Mine had many years of gunk and does make it more difficult to move.  In my experience, if the the step is that iced up, then the plane was too iced up to fly as well.  Depending on the actuator I end up with and the amount of ice, it would either muscle through, blow a fuse or pop a breaker (if you opt for that) or break the actuator.  As someone suggested, adding smarts or clutch would work but adds cost.  I suppose I could also add a self resetting thermal fuse, which may not cost that much, will consider that.  

How about a spring? Also, take a look at the offerings for e-bike conversions on eBay if you're still doing motor selection. There has been an absolute explosion in the market of inexpensive 12-24VDC motors out there in all sizes for use in electric scooters, skateboards, bicycles, et cetera. I'm working on a new tug design at the moment because I think those on the market cost 3x what they should. 

3 hours ago, steingar said:

First, congrats to the OP on a successful project.  What I don't get it what's to break on the manual retraction?  Its a crank hooked up to a cable if I'm not mistaken.

Read the original post, top of Page 1. I'm guessing that his system was vacuum-driven rather than hand-cranked. Electrifying the vacuum step and going solid state on the panel will permit getting rid of the vacuum pump; otherwise, all that money and time on panel upgrades still requires the vacuum pump to move the step . . . . .

The step on my C is fixed, looks like a 2x2 square tube welded in place.

12 hours ago, steingar said:

First, congrats to the OP on a successful project.  What I don't get it what's to break on the manual retraction?  Its a crank hooked up to a cable if I'm not mistaken.

Lol.  Well, long story.  I had a perfectly functional crank step.  @carusoam first inspired me to work on this for the vacuum crowd because of the mini actuators I used for our Auto-Lean product and @cliffy inspired me to do it for the guys with a broken cable.  I thought it would be a weekend project and then I was committed (or I should be).   I’ve now been flying it since January.  One of the side benefits is that the install actually comes out lighter than stock (can I call that a speed mod?). It also retains the “cool factor” of the retractable step.

I have addressed the previous concern of a jammed step through a simple overload spring.  The system is FAA-PMA approved and I have a letter from the FAA supporting this as a minor alteration.  That said, I submitted enough paperwork for an STC, including structural analysis.  I still need to update our web site, but kits available for sale now....with a short lead time to build some stock.

Rob

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Andy95W said:

I'll bite- How much?

Complete kit is listed on our web site at $350.  This includes actuator, cables, turnbuckle, springs and some other hardware....oh and a detailed installation manual.   Only a few additional pieces of minor hardware are required. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, takair said:

Complete kit is listed on our web site at $350.  This includes actuator, cables, turnbuckle, springs and some other hardware....oh and a detailed installation manual.   Only a few additional pieces of minor hardware are required. 

How much time for the average IA to remove old system and install?

Rob- I looked on your website but couldn't find it, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough or I was in the wrong place. Could you provide a link to it?

Price seems very reasonable, BTW.  I wish I'd known about it 6 months ago when I started planning my new interior.

On 12/30/2017 at 9:54 PM, takair said:

I’ve not run into that before, but it would not like it.  Is it possible the oil or grease is just so congealed that the vacuum can’t muscle through?  Mine had many years of gunk and does make it more difficult to move.  In my experience, if the the step is that iced up, then the plane was too iced up to fly as well.  Depending on the actuator I end up with and the amount of ice, it would either muscle through, blow a fuse or pop a breaker (if you opt for that) or break the actuator.  As someone suggested, adding smarts or clutch would work but adds cost.  I suppose I could also add a self resetting thermal fuse, which may not cost that much, will consider that.  

Commen sense says to me, that if the pilot knows that the plane is iced up, then the pilot would not put the step down knowing there could be consequences?!

3 hours ago, rbridges said:

How much time for the average IA to remove old system and install?

I did the prototype installs in about 3 or 4 hours.  I was able to do all my wiring in back.  If you have your battery in front it may take a little longer.  Also, it depends if you want to remove your vacuum system or not.

58 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Rob- I looked on your website but couldn't find it, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough or I was in the wrong place. Could you provide a link to it?

Price seems very reasonable, BTW.  I wish I'd known about it 6 months ago when I started planning my new interior.

I have not updated the web page yet, hopefully next week.  I do have ordering info on the last page; http://flightenhancements.com/contact--order.html.  I prefer to use pay pal, so you can simply email me and I can email an invoice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Commen sense says to me, that if the pilot knows that the plane is iced up, then the pilot would not put the step down knowing there could be consequences?!

I was thinking something similar and I would likely not be flying with that much ice anyway, that said, I have addressed this concern through the mechanical implementation of an overload spring that yields to overloads, but remains stiff for normal ops.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
44 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I ordered mine today.  Thanks for designing and making this mod available to us, Rob.  

Jim

Thanks for your order, Jim!  All packed up and will be shipped first thing Monday.