No Ice On Relief Tube.

Piloto

On my way back from KAGC I used twice my relief tube at -20C OAT with no icing at all. I didn't expect urine icing since the urine temp was at 37C. Had no chance of testing Rain-X on ice since never needed to turn on pitot heat. But consistently had a TAS of 170kts at WOT and 2500 rpm. On previous trips with no Rain-X applied I would get 165kts TAS tops. I think Rain-X provides some speed improvement even when flying through cold clouds. 

José

Glad I'm not the guy pulling your bottom panels off for service or annuals.  I can't imagine that stuff is not getting into every crack, seam, and crevice? I know what leaded fuel and my exhaust stream does to my bottom panels.  It seems every couple years I'm cleaning light corrosion off and repainting another bottom panel.

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Piloto said:

On my way back from KAGC I used twice my relief tube at -20C OAT with no icing at all. I didn't expect urine icing since the urine temp was at 37C. Had no chance of testing Rain-X on ice since never needed to turn on pitot heat. But consistently had a TAS of 170kts at WOT and 2500 rpm. On previous trips with no Rain-X applied I would get 165kts TAS tops. I think Rain-X provides some speed improvement even when flying through cold clouds. 

José

What's the freezing point of piss? I bet a little cooler than water. 

What will happen if you pick up external icing on your piss tube? Will you dare fill it up to see if it melts the ice off and risk some backflow?

• Like 2

The extra speed maybe a result of lower density altitude in cold weather (engine makes more power).  I have not been to AGC for many years, what kind of shape is it in?  I did my first tour of an approach control facility in the terminal building at AGC some sixty years ago (Boy Scout trip).  Back then approach had one radar with very limited range, a teletype machine and a dozen controllers running around in a small room making flight strips and passing them on.  Back then controllers wore coats and ties to work.

18 minutes ago, FoxMike said:

The extra speed maybe a result of lower density altitude in cold weather (engine makes more power).  I have not been to AGC for many years, what kind of shape is it in?  I did my first tour of an approach control facility in the terminal building at AGC some sixty years ago (Boy Scout trip).  Back then approach had one radar with very limited range, a teletype machine and a dozen controllers running around in a small room making flight strips and passing them on.  Back then controllers wore coats and ties to work.

I parked at Corporate Air that provided very good service. Unlike KFXE this time of the year my plane was the only one on the ramp. Corporate Air provided free preheat (temp 5F) and help on opening the frozen cabin door (left plane on the ramp overnight). Uber service was quick and only $30 to get me to Plum (45 min. ride) were my son lives. We spend Xmas with my grandson playing in the snow and opening gifts, real good family time.

Happy New Year

José

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 201er said:

What will happen if you pick up external icing on your piss tube? Will you dare fill it up to see if it melts the ice off and risk some backflow?

Hey 201er - just saw your Caribbean videos - very nice work - head down there and don't worry about ice

4 hours ago, 201er said:

Will put some in the refrigerator and let you know. After it leaves the plane it becomes snow flurries with no clouds in the sky, great for ski resorts.

José 

• Sad 2

Will put some in the refrigerator and let you know. After it leaves the plane it becomes snow flurries with no clouds in the sky, great for ski resorts.
José 

Sublimation is your frozen-piss free tube friend, me thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk