Need Mooney mechanic in Monterey area

Joe Larussa

I believe the dual mag is used on Cessna 177s so they aren’t mooney specific maintenance items.  Just need a mechanic who knows what Clarence said. I had a mag come back with a nut loose after annual.  If retimed to the engine I check the torques myself.   

It’s not very hard at all to change. In fact it’s the same as installing a single Bendix magneto just happens to have two magnetos inside the housing. In a not shell you set the engine timing to 25° which is very easy on these as there is a mark on the flywheel and a dot on the starter.  As well as the lines on the back of the flywheel that align to the spine of the crankcase. Then you line up the red mark on the white plastic gear thru the viewing port, then insert the timing pin to lock the mag  like that in place then stab the mag and tighten. Do not turn the prop until that pin is removed. Thn check timing with buzz box. Obviously this is a high level overview. Use a rated mechanic and the SMM and Lycoming’s service bulletins about these. Use the exact correct clamps, gasket, washer and lock washer stacking. One thing I learned. Place permatex aviation sealer on the mag side of the gasket and wheel bearing grease on the opposite side of the gasket. Next year when you bump the mag it won’t tear the gasket and leak. Also. Torque seal.  If it’s broken be suspicious of reused star washers. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

It’s not very hard at all to change. In fact it’s the same as installing a single Bendix magneto just happens to have two magnetos inside the housing. In a not shell you set the engine timing to 25° which is very easy on these as there is a mark on the flywheel and a dot on the starter.  As well as the lines on the back of the flywheel that align to the spine of the crankcase. Then you line up the red mark on the white plastic gear thru the viewing port, then insert the timing pin to lock the mag  like that in place then stab the mag and tighten. Do not turn the prop until that pin is removed. Thn check timing with buzz box. Obviously this is a high level overview. Use a rated mechanic and the SMM and Lycoming’s service bulletins about these. Use the exact correct clamps, gasket, washer and lock washer stacking. One thing I learned. Place permatex aviation sealer on the mag side of the gasket and wheel bearing grease on the opposite side of the gasket. Next year when you bump the mag it won’t tear the gasket and leak. Also. Torque seal.  If it’s broken be suspicious of reused star washers. 

Add one more step that sometimes gets messed up. Be sure you are on the compression stroke. 

Edited by N601RX
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I think that you’re mixing procedures from Slick and Bendix magnetos.  Slicks use a timing pin and have no visible painted teeth.  Bendix have painted teeth and don’t use a timing pin.

Clarence

12 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Continental/Bendix has been saying we aren't supposed to use those in order to protect against broken teeth.

Exactly what I was taught.  I made a holding tool for Bendix mags out of a piece of vinyl tube, it’s softer than the gear so no worry of damage and being hollow allows you to see the painted tooth.

Clarence