N314EB

aviatoreb

43 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I am a math professor.  But Pi is not specifically the most important number for me, but I teach and there is "Pi Day" which is fun.  And it is a very recognizable number that has a bit of a math flare.

Actually my VERY favorite number is the Golden Mean, which is (1+Sqrt(5))/2=1.61803398874989484820458...

but it shows up in amazing places in topics that I study.  First note it has a beautiful continued fraction expansion as, (1+Sqrt(5))/2=

screenshot_889.png

It shows up in really amazing ways in various topics relating to resonance such as the rings of Saturn or plasma confinement.  KAM theory is the topic.

Are you really trying to make us ordinary mortals feel stupid? :) 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I am a math professor.  But Pi is not specifically the most important number for me, but I teach and there is "Pi Day" which is fun.  And it is a very recognizable number that has a bit of a math flare.

Actually my VERY favorite number is the Golden Mean, which is (1+Sqrt(5))/2=1.61803398874989484820458...

but it shows up in amazing places in topics that I study.  First note it has a beautiful continued fraction expansion as, (1+Sqrt(5))/2=

screenshot_889.png

It shows up in really amazing ways in various topics relating to resonance such as the rings of Saturn or plasma confinement.  KAM theory is the topic.

Erik, I also like the Golden Ratio, 1.618:1. It's all around us in nature, and copied in art, architecture and design. Many things considered attractive are 1.618 times as tall as they are wide, or else their component parts are.

But I'm going to have to bail on this thread until it reaches Page 4. Your million character post, and peevee's full quote of it, almost crashed my tablet . . . It isn't nice! At least I had the evening news to watch while waiting first for the page to open, then later for it to allow me to type, and that was after waiting for the keyboard to appear. 

Signing off from this thread for now . . . .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hank said:

Erik, I also like the Golden Ratio, 1.618:1. It's all around us in nature, and copied in art, architecture and design. Many things considered attractive are 1.618 times as tall as they are wide, or else their component parts are.

But I'm going to have to bail on this thread until it reaches Page 4. Your million character post, and peevee's full quote of it, almost crashed my tablet . . . It isn't nice! At least I had the evening news to watch while waiting first for the page to open, then later for it to allow me to type, and that was after waiting for the keyboard to appear. 

Yes!  It is considered the beautiful ratios, since the Greeks. 

I first learned about it in elementary school in a movie-cartoon they showed us Donald Duck in Mathematics Land.

It came back in a deep way in my PhD work in KAM theory - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolmogorov–Arnold–Moser_theorem in those physical applications I mentioned.

That long run of a million digits of pi believe it or not I have a general use computer program that generates them faster than you can snap your fingers.  I could have made 10 or 100 times as many but...too big to cut and paste into the window.  It is a very cool general purpose program called Mathematica.  Anyone can purchase it and it is very useful in a lot of ways.  This one was just a parlor trick.,

22 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Are you really trying to make us ordinary mortals feel stupid? :) 

:-). I'm sorry.  For what its worth I do my best to make my students feel smart but its harder to do in a setting like this.  FYI - One of my former students is a Mooneyspacer....

Edited by aviatoreb

Yes!  It is considered the beautiful ratios, since the Greeks. 
I first learned about it in elementary school in a movie-cartoon they showed us Donald Duck in Mathematics Land.
It came back in a deep way in my PhD work in KAM theory - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolmogorov–Arnold–Moser_theorem in those physical applications I mentioned.
That long run of a million digits of pi believe it or not I have a general use computer program that generates them faster than you can snap your fingers.  I could have made 10 or 100 times as many but...too big to cut and paste into the window.  It is a very cool general purpose program called Mathematica.  Anyone can purchase it and it is very useful in a lot of ways.  This one was just a parlor trick.,
Ah, I'm having flashbacks of Le Corbusier from architecture class! Wonder if Al Mooney applied it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hank said:

The Golden ratio also shows up in dentistry.  If each of your upper central incisors (very front teeth) are 1.6 then the lateral incisors, next to them, should be 1 and the canines should be .6 in width ratio.  Also, there are some that say if the ratio of the width to the height of the 2 front teeth together should be 1.6:1.  So if you take the height as 1 then the width of the 2 teeth together should be 1.6.  There are lots of research papers that say this does not matter but The Golden Proportion of Smile Design has been around for a very long time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hank said:

Sorry about that!  Seemed like a fun thing to do at the time....

For what its worth, that computer program I used computed the Million Digits of Pi in under a second, and displayed them too (which often takes longer to display than to actually compute). I just now tried to reduce the number of digits to say a few dozen from a million, but the editor on my browser crashes on several tries.  So its stuck.

Well we are on page 4 now, so I hope all my friends are back.

Is the golden ratio related to the famous Italian mathematician... Fibonacci?

Fibonnaci ratios are used in various methods of stock market investing.  Chartists looking for entry points...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number

Nature can be a mathematically beautiful thing...

Best regards,

-a-

28 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Is the golden ratio related to the famous Italian mathematician... Fibonacci?

Fibonnaci ratios are used in various methods of stock market investing.  Chartists looking for entry points...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number

Nature can be a mathematically beautiful thing...

Best regards,

-a-

Indeed!  It shows up in beautiful ways in beautiful places.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 5:36 PM, aviatoreb said:

:-). I'm sorry.  For what its worth I do my best to make my students feel smart but its harder to do in a setting like this.  FYI - One of my former students is a Mooneyspacer....

Hah!

I hear he’s a fellow rocket engineeering alum, as well ;)

Slightly off topic, but your discussion of the golden ratio reminded me... I loved the book “archimedes revenge”... interesting chapter about the golden ratio!

hmm, maybe I need to get the Missile painted now...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M016576 said:

Hah!

I hear he’s a fellow rocket engineeering alum, as well ;)

You know what. I heard the same thing!

Slightly off topic, but your discussion of the golden ratio reminded me... I loved the book “archimedes revenge”... interesting chapter about the golden ratio!

hmm, maybe I need to get the Missile painted now...

I never heard of that book!

Yes!  And you will need a new tail number too - ...how about....N1618J

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I need more pictures......

Me too! But... that's it so far... I am now out of pictures and you are all caught up with what I have.  And no work happened in that shop last week - flu epidemic.  I hope I get it back this week but I dunno.

More pictures soon!  I promise....

• 2 weeks later...

OK! A few more pictures.  You see new windows.  And the glare shield was fresh'ed up looking new, and the compass post/bar is painted.  And brand new aerocomfort yoke leather covers.  So interior will be looking good and new esp as it has a fresh interior job with the Jaeger interiors complete job, and also new SCS leather interior. 

IMG_1883.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG

IMG_1885.JPG

• Like 2