N314EB

aviatoreb

N314EB First tease.  

The paint color you see is a modified version of a Ford auto color called, Kona Blue - you can google it - I first saw it on a Mustang on a Ford dealership lot.  I fell in love with it and I was walking around the car taking pictures and the guy trying to sell me the car was wondering why he couldn't get me to go on a test drive.

Its a real chameleon color - it looks very dark blue in the dark, lighter and lighter blue in the light and sometimes it looks purple.

Modified as there is also a special product in the mid coat (clear coat). There is a sparkle-product - its micro glass beads that sparkle in the sunshine in a way you just cannot photograph. I have never seen a car with that stuff but I have seen boats with similar sparkle but usually larger sparkles - this is a modern substance.  That is in addition to the standard pearl-metallic stuff in the paint itself. Then there are coats of plain clear on top of the mid coat.

IMG_1803.JPG

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 7

26 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Haven’t you ever heard the art of the dramatic reveal?

I have but since buying the Mooney I’ve been told to fly fast, extend my CB ways, and live vicariously through others during their major upgrade adventures. 

With the suspended glass particles is it necessary to have a thicker paint/clear coat to hide the bumps?

1 minute ago, MIm20c said:

I have but since buying the Mooney I’ve been told to fly fast, extend my CB ways, and live vicariously through others during their major upgrade adventures. 

With the suspended glass particles is it necessary to have a thicker paint/clear coat to hide the bumps?

:-). I’m just kidding around.  I get the plane soon and then I post a ton of pictures.  I’ll post some in process pictures maybe tomorrow...

the micro glass balls are so tiny they are essentially dust/sand size.  No extra thickness really.  I’m a nonexpert of course.

10 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

:-). I’m just kidding around.  I get the plane soon and then I post a ton of pictures.  I’ll post some in process pictures maybe tomorrow...

the micro glass balls are so tiny they are essentially dust/sand size.  No extra thickness really.  I’m a nonexpert of course.

We need more pictures! The prettiest blue I ever saw was on a Ferrari entering the interstate ahead of me, so I didn't get to admire it closely or for very long!

Glass beads are available in many sizes, down to about 100 microns. Smaller than that  you have to buy ground glass (a former job used 30 micron ground glass to roughen areas of polished steel).

7 minutes ago, Hank said:

We need more pictures! The prettiest blue I ever saw was on a Ferrari entering the interstate ahead of me, so I didn't get to admire it closely or for very long!

Glass beads are available in many sizes, down to about 100 microns. Smaller than that  you have to buy ground glass (a former job used 30 micron ground glass to roughen areas of polished steel).

I’ll put something else up tomorrow when I have my computer.  :-)

yeah what he said regarding the glass beads.  I don’t know the size in microns though but as you said.  They are not simply glass though.  I don’t know what the stuff is called.  Wow it sparkles in the sunshine.

I didnt realize you had VG's on your Rocket, Erik. A couple of weeks ago I was able to play with a new M20V that Dmax installed VG's on. It stalled at 53 kts 200# under gross. 

Oh, and now that you have shown her naked to us, there isnt any reason to tease any longer :)

13 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

I didnt realize you had VG's on your Rocket, Erik. A couple of weeks ago I was able to play with a new M20V that Dmax installed VG's on. It stalled at 53 kts 200# under gross. 

Oh, and now that you have shown her naked to us, there isnt any reason to tease any longer :)

Hi Mike, yes- I do - I had them installed first thing when I got the plane when I was initially a bit intimidated by moving up from my Diamond DA40 to a Mooney Rocket, so I figured anything to slow down the stall speed is a safety feature.  That was just shy of 8 years ago.  I still do.

Mike what was your opinion of VGs?  So clearly they slowed down the stall speed - and I would say the same - and more crisp controls right up until stall.  But what was your opinion on cruise speed?  Their literature, and theory says that the VGs sit below the boundary layer at cruise speed and therefore zero effect on cruise speed.  I am not sure I believe that.  My rocket is a little slower than book and I have been blaming the TKS.  But I am convinced that whatever flow disturbance is occurring due to the TKS at the leading edges, the damage to cruise is already done and the VGs may create no further damage/loss of cruise speed.

I am wondering if a smoother version of my airplane might be a tad faster when I get her back.

I don't feel right about showing the full pictures 100% until I collect the airplane in person (late this week coming?) since he is sort of doing the same to me.....  Besides the airplane being ready One hitch in pickup these days is weather - incl some of the standard winter weather issues, even some of the severe clear and still days could be a problem since I put 0F as a line in the sand for too cold to fly - for possible safety reasons if there were ever an off field landing.  This has not been an active constraint for a few years, but this last week and this week coming...it may well be.  Tomorrow night - 22F.  Forecast for Fri, sunny but a high of -11F and a low of -23F.  In an hour I will go xc skiing since it is supposed to hit 9F today!  

Plus I am a bit rusty now, so I scheduled an hour with a cfi before I fly her home, so there is a bit of coordination with him to since he has an airlines schedule.

Ok a few more pictures in a few minutes....

Edited by aviatoreb

11 minutes ago, peevee said:

looks like you get those little micro cracks around the oil door too. Those are annoying. I never figured out how to avoid them. I hope they don't paint over your static ports ;)

:-). I hope the static ports aren't painted over either.  I will be checking....  He is amazingly meticulous.  I doubt it.

16 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

:-). I hope the static ports aren't painted over either.  I will be checking....  He is amazingly meticulous.  I doubt it.

they're so small he probably just sticks a toothpick in there. I didn't see any tape is all. Looks like a little metallic flake in the blue? I like it. Except that ugly prop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Hi Mike, yes- I do - I had them installed first thing when I got the plane when I was initially a bit intimidated by moving up from my Diamond DA40 to a Mooney Rocket, so I figured anything to slow down the stall speed is a safety feature.  That was just shy of 8 years ago.  I still do.

Mike what was your opinion of VGs?  So clearly they slowed down the stall speed - and I would say the same - and more crisp controls right up until stall.  But what was your opinion on cruise speed?  Their literature, and theory says that the VGs sit below the boundary layer at cruise speed and therefore zero effect on cruise speed.  I am not sure I believe that.  My rocket is a little slower than book and I have been blaming the TKS.  But I am convinced that whatever flow disturbance is occurring due to the TKS at the leading edges, the damage to cruise is already done and the VGs may create no further damage/loss of cruise speed.

I am wondering if a smoother version of my airplane might be a tad faster when I get her back.

I don't feel right about showing the full pictures 100% until I collect the airplane in person (late this week coming?) since he is sort of doing the same to me.....  Besides the airplane being ready One hitch in pickup these days is weather - incl some of the standard winter weather issues, even some of the severe clear and still days could be a problem since I put 0F as a line in the sand for too cold to fly - for possible safety reasons if there were ever an off field landing.  This has not been an active constraint for a few years, but this last week and this week coming...it may well be.  Tomorrow night - 22F.  Forecast for Fri, sunny but a high of -11F and a low of -23F.  In an hour I will go xc skiing since it is supposed to hit 9F today!  

Plus I am a bit rusty now, so I scheduled an hour with a cfi before I fly her home, so there is a bit of coordination with him to since he has an airlines schedule.

Ok a few more pictures in a few minutes....

I really didnt get to shake it out at cruise speeds much, as most of my time was transitioning the new Chilean owners pilot's. The guy who flew it back to Kerrville from Dmax's shop said he didnt notice any give up on cruise speeds, and was expecting some. From what little time at S&L, 27"/2400 I had with her, she seemed like it was book speed.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2017 at 1:10 PM, peevee said:

they're so small he probably just sticks a toothpick in there. I didn't see any tape is all. Looks like a little metallic flake in the blue? I like it. Except that ugly prop.

Yeah - I know...the prop.  :-O

There is pearl in the paint - the metal flake stuff.  That is a more typical substance.  But there is also micro-glass-beeds embedded in the mid coat clear coat that makes it sparkle like diamonds in the sunlight and I have never seen that stuff in an airplane or a factory car.  But I have seen it in custom classic cars and some speed boats.