salty

Replacement Cylinders  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose, and why?

• Lycoming
    • Millenium
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/30/2017 at 07:36 PM

So, I've decided to put all new cylinders on my O-360 for it's overhaul. The old ones are ok, but the cost difference between overhaul and all new is close enough I'd rather reset them all now during overhaul.

Cost difference is roughly $800 cheaper for the millenniums (about $200 per cylinder).

Edited by salty

So, I've decided to put all new cylinders on my O-360 for it's overhaul. The old ones are ok, but the cost difference between overhaul and all new is close enough I'd rather reset them all now during overhaul.

Cost difference is roughly $800 cheaper for the millenniums (about $200 per cylinder).

What does a round of new cylinders cost these days? Assuming this is all that needs replacing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, cctsurf said:

From Aircraft Spruce, Approx $4400, for Millenniums, Lycoming's will cost another $800 on top of that...

Except that, as it turns out, the Millenniums don't include piston pins, so it's almost a wash.

Edited by salty

3 minutes ago, salty said:

Except that the Millenniums don't include piston pins, so it's almost a wash.

If you really need them...  add $250 for Superior pins, $400 for Lycoming pins so still not quite a wash.   I love me my Millennium Cylinders.

On 12/30/2017 at 7:21 AM, Bob - S50 said:

Anything that isn't made in China.  Don't know which if any that would be.  There have been way too many cases of products coming out of China where they cheated on materials to save a few pennies.

Not sure if there is anyway you'd ever know that. Doesn't Lycoming just certify cylinders they buy from others?  I don't think they have a facility to forge cylinders. 

-Robert

I’d be curious to what changes Superior has made to their Millennium line over the past couple decades. Mine are 22 years old and have 2200hrs on all four of them. Previous club owner group were anal about maintenance with 25hr oil changes, aggressive leaning protocol, and regular use of the aircraft.

I think Lycoming has advertisement videos showing off their products and might clarify if they actually build the parts. Seems like buying anything today is a crapshoot considering how bean counters have been better at cutting corners in production processes and methods. What good is a warranty if the windmill up front quits due to a failure caused by poor metallurgical choices of the brow-beaten quality department of Lycoming or Superior.

On 12/31/2017 at 8:40 AM, Tx_Aggie said:

I’ve heard that with the Bonanza folks also. What’s so good about Millennium cylinders?

I guess I can't quantify it, however, the engine seems stronger than it did with the old cylinders.  I've run a lot of hours on old chromed rebuilt cylinders and the Millenniums just seem stronger and run great.  My dad just installed a set on his Mooney and his comment was exactly that, he felt like the plane is peppier.  This set I have is 700 hours old and about 15 years old, it's running great (I'd hope so, good grief).  I hope what tigers2007 has to say isn't true that the bean counters have lowered the quality.  

On 2017-12-30 at 9:33 PM, Tx_Aggie said:

What does a round of new cylinders cost these days? Assuming this is all that needs replacing?

20K for the eight on my engine!

Clarence